Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause realted migraines and Occipital Neuralgia  (Read 9985 times)

spacebear3

Perimenopause realted migraines and Occipital Neuralgia
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »

I will be 50 in a couple of  weeks and dealing with the tail end of Perimenopaus. 2 years ago it started and along with common symptoms (irregular periods, intolerance to temp changes, hot flashes, etc) I developed what my neurologist has now diagnosed as vestibular migraines. This past January I had missed 3 periods in a row and them wham....January was like 12 months of PMS rolled into one. I had my last period in April and since then the migraines have become worse and has triggered the occipital neuralgia. I am currently on HRT (over a year now) and they certainly help but the migraines and occipital pain can be almost unbearable. My eye doctor also diagnosed me with Ocular migraines...all of these terrible things are associated with hormone fluctuations and some days it makes me crazy. Has anyone else experienced these same issues? I feel like my life is in a holding pattern ad it is very frustrating.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause realted migraines and Occipital Neuralgia
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »

:welcomemm: How awful  :'( a headache is bad enough.

I had trigeminal neuralgia years ago - there is an operation to relieve the pain, wonder if it could be applied to the occipital neuralgia?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »

Hi spacebear3

:welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear about your migraines. This does seem to happen to some women during peri-menopause. I started to get migraines at this time but nothing like you describe at all so you have my sympathies. What HRT type do you have - presumably transdermal ie patches or gel to minimise the impact of the migraines?

You will find plenty of help and support on here  :)

Hurdity x

SevenOfNine

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »

During my peri meno phase I developed migraines.  One every month without fail, felt like splitting my head open to relieve the pressure. They were always accompanied by hot cold sweats with vomiting in between. VILE.

Anyway, I read about Magnesium OK by Wassen (specifically that one) along with Feverfew a herbal remedy sold in Boots.  Took them both for 3 months & by then they'd kicked the migraine's into touch - I couldn't believe it.  Stayed on them for a couple of years, migraine free, until the meno 'proper' kicked in with the flushes.

Not saying they'd help you sadly, but maybe another peri meno person with clear hormonal migraines might gain something.

spacebear3

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »

I am on the HRT crèmes...I take Biest, Progesterone and Testosterone. I was just retested last week and my levels are ok except for the estrogen which my doctor just increased. I haven't had a period since April...January thru March was like non stop PMS and them bam it was gone with the last period. Now I just have the headaches, dizziness, hot flashes, blurry vision and my joints hurt all around what used to be cycle time....I get really cold sometimes.
I was on BC pills for 24 years and I am beginning to wonder if they didn't play a role in all of this. Maybe my body was so dependent on the pills that it is now thrown way off balance. When I was first tested last Sept I had 0 testosterone, almost 0 Progest and almost 0 Estrogen.
My eye doctor said he has lots of female patients who suffer from ocular migraines as a direct result of hormone fluctuations during perimenopause.
Some days I just want to take my head off and sit it on a shelf intil this is all over.

SevenOfNine

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »

Thank you SevenOfNine.  I'm sat here with a horrible eye pain which is the type of migraine I used to get every month but since my periods became erratic so thankfully have these.  I guess I'm about to have a period, I do have other signs so I sure hope so.  I've taken a sumatriptin tablet and I'm hoping that will help.  I'm beginning to wonder if magnesium might help me hence i asked a question on the alternatives thread about it. 

Do you mean they'come ve back now that you're 'meno'?

S x

No, I stopped participating once I was obliged to choose HRT (having spent a fortune & exhausted every other option).  Didn't really have anything to offer, what 'allternatives' didn't work for me may well work for someone else & the last thing newly 'meno' ladies want is to feel discouraged, the whole process is depressing enough!

I'd definitely give the Magnesium OK by Glassen a go, maybe tie it in with the herbal thing (sorry, meno memory kicked in, now I've forgotten the name of it temporarily  ::) )  3 months worth of the magnesium is only about £10, but can't comment on any other brand - I specifically used the one recommended.  Didn't work for my migraine friend but hers are not connected to her 'monthlies'.

Good luck, I sympathise wholeheartedly.