Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: OCD-type habits and compulsions  (Read 3326 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
OCD-type habits and compulsions
« on: October 17, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »

I have always wiggled my feet - when we had kittens I didn't realise how much my feet were moving until they pounced  ;D.  Even in the night I am aware that my feet move.  Don't know if they move when I'm asleep ……..

I also used to hum under my breath, I remember my Dad telling me off a lot because it annoyed him and disturbed his hobby.  He used to bite his tongue when doing close work. 

I have ear worms often, usually musical but occasionally phrases ……...  A clue in a crossword was 'elephant's name in a childrens' song' - Nellie was going round and round all day  >:(.

Pity habits don't spread to housework  :(  ::) ……. but only a little bit  ;)!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:19:37 AM by CLKD »

kpatton56

Re: OCD habits
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »

Lol! I can so relate to this! Maybe we are related!! I also move my feet all the time. As I am dropping off to sleep I will realise I am constantly flexing my right foot.
My husband talks about me having a housewife's hum and I also find a line of a song going round and round......

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

This all sounds perfectly normal to me....  ;D

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »

Always got an ear worm going around, drives me insane sometimes! Arghhhh

As for restless feet, can't say I've had that one. Hubby does, feet on the go all night long some nights.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 04:07:37 PM »

Ear worms are very annoying especially if you begin to sing it out loud and it's not something that's very appropriate for where you are!!  Apparently vigorously chewing on something(!) is supposed to stop it.

Taz x

jorainbow

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »

I rotate my ankle sometimes too just before going to sleep. Starts subconsciously but when I notice I find it quite relaxing  😆😆

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »

How long have you been doing that before you notice though  :D

jorainbow

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »

😆😆😆 really not sure but as I fall asleep at the drop of a hat assuming it's not long.. unless I wake myself up doing it!!!!

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »

Ok everyone is going to think I'm nuts....but when I have an ear worm at night in bed. I go through the whole song with the orchestra in the background to the huge finale with the conductor ....and then it's done  ;D....works for me.

I'm not a twitcher but hubby is awful. He does it in his sleep too. It has only started since he became diabetic. He cuddles into my back as we are going to sleep....lying quietly dozing off and then it starts..his fingers twitch, his legs come out in sympathy, his feet join in....by that time I'm wide awake as he gyrates his way to sleep.

Now I've told him I will cuddle into his back and then I can sneak away without being disturbed.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »

Wonder why Honeybun

I have tried to stop the wriggly feet but they re-start the moment I take my mind off them.  My toes are moving as I type.  I have always done it, I think it's a kind of comforter so that others can't see when I'm upset.

My biggest compulsion is checking my chin/upper lip for new hairs.  Even in the middle of a programme I have to get the mirror and tweezers to excavate.  Otherwise I get twitchy, in my head then my tummy  :-\.

Another compulsion is skin biting round my fingers even though I know it will be sore!  If I see a piece of skin I have to nibble  :(.  In the 1990s I wore woolly gloves 24/7 to stop - a sudden gob full of wool helped for a while.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:33:09 AM by CLKD »