Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I honestly thought I was losing my mind, and then....  (Read 4630 times)

MegnB

I honestly thought I was losing my mind, and then....
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »

First, I have to thank everyone on the forum for posting the information I've been stalking for the past 2 months.  I can't remember how I found you, but thanks!!

In retrospect, everything makes sense now, but 8 months ago I seriously thought I was having a mental breakdown...me, the hard charging, expat, do everything woman with a sweet husband and 3 lovely kids.

It started with anxiety attacks, the little b-stards snuck up on me 2 or 3 times a day.  That sweaty, hysterical woman on the tube, in Waitrose, hiding in the restroom of Selfridges?  That was me.  I was an exhausted, sweaty mess by 3pm everyday.  Exhausted!!

Weight gain?  6kgs in 10 months despite spinning twice a week, weightlifting twice a week and one or two other fitness classes.  The weight gain probably came from me sitting on the sofa, eating chocolate and sobbing at least an hour every day.  Sweating, of course because it was SO HOT. :/

I was a total train wreck.  I couldn't concentrate, was scattered, left my keys in the fruit bowl and had to have another set made bc they were "lost."  My writing projects looked like the work of a demented 6 year old. 

Up 2 or 3 times at night because it was soooo hot in my bedroom, despite me having the aircon on the highest setting.  My night-time mantras became "Why is it so hot in here?" and , to the husband "Why are you such a human furnace?" (as I shove him to the other side of the bed).

SO, I consulted the doc.  I've had generalized anxiety disorder all my life, but never went for treatment or consultation.  Never had medication. No therapy.  I wasn't keen on medication and argued with him about it for awhile. Then had a panic attack in his office, was reduced to a sobbing, snotty, sweaty mess and we agreed to try Pregabalin in small, increasing doses.  I researched Pregabalin for days and days before taking the first pill and drilled him with questions for 30 mins. 

The funny part is, I never once thought about menopause despite my being 51  BECAUSE I still have periods <sigh> quite regularly.  No one ever told me that the horrible part is the run UP to menopause.  Why doesn't anyone tell you this?  WHY???

After looking through the forum and information on this board, it struck me that anxiety, leaving your keys in the fruit bowl and freezing out your husband in the bedroom (in more ways than one...ha!) is perimenopause. 

So, here's an update on the Pregabalin.  The anxiety attacks have almost disappeared.  The crying jags are gone.  I'm down to maybe (what I realize now are...hot flashes) 1 or 2 a week and they are mild. I sleep like a baby. The husband is miraculously no longer a human furnace.

I'm sharing this for the ladies who are possibly looking for alternatives to or supplementation to HRT or BHRT to alleviate symptoms.  I also have an appointment to look at bhrt/hrt in a few weeks.

So, there you have it. :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:59:42 AM by MegnB »

SadLynda

Re: I honestly thought I was losing my mind, and then....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:56:23 AM »

I am 49 and totally understand you.  Fabulous post :)  I too was the hysterical woman, and spent hours in floods of tears more than I had done in my 49 years.  Agree that it is total pants than no bu**** tells you this is coming.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »

Great to hear finally you are finding some relief,long may it continue !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »

:welcomemm:  did you find our funny room yet?

MegnB

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »

Ah, thanks for the warm welcome ladies. 

I hit *send* and then thought I'd been *so* American with my oversharing. The only thing missing was a loud voice and a public place. Hope I didn't offend. 

Still can't believe I couldn't figure it out myself along with The Google.  <sigh>

There's a funny room?  I'll have to go have a wander.  :)

Dyan

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »

Can totally relate to your post MegnB.
I thought I was going crazy but HRT helped me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »

;D …… nothing is taboo or TooMuchInformation  ;)

"Menopause Humour: The Funny Side of Menopause"  ;)

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »

;D …… nothing is taboo or TooMuchInformation  ;)

That's what I love about this place :) !! Sometimes you think that you have written something REALLY gross, but noone ever seems offended/grossed out or anything else...