Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: strange symptoms help needed  (Read 3197 times)

Abiw

strange symptoms help needed
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »

I'm 47 and I've been having peri-menopause symptoms for 2 years,
I'm using bio identical HRT , and still having loads of symptoms,
I'm also Epileptic (but controlled ,no fits for 30 years) Hypothyroid, IBS and suspected hypoglycaemic .

Some of the first symptoms (hot sweats, night sweats,memory loss,brain fog etc) have improved,
but now other symptoms have started, a few weeks ago, I started to get terrible indigestion,
which just got worse, until my whole gut system was churning constantly, my GP prescribed Mebeverine 3 times a day,
which helped, even so I had one incident where my stomach started to go crazy, and I felt like I was loosing my grip on reality,
this caused me to panic, I started to shake uncontrollably and my husband called an ambulance , The Paramedics checked me out,
everything was ok and wrote it up as a 'Menopausal incident '.
but the same thing happened this morning, I started to feel a sudden heat but not like a hot sweat, then the indigestion started ,I felt unwell, and then I started shaking, I felt spaced out.
I calmed down and the symptoms died down.

has anyone had similar symptoms ?

honeybun

Re: strange symptoms help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »

If you suspect hypoglycaemia then that could account for your symptoms.

Have you been given a glucose monitor to check your levels when you feel like this. I presume it's not a true hypo because then you would need medical attention immediately.
I would get the possible diabetic diagnosis fully investigated and take it from there.

Honeybun
X

Abiw

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »

Thanks Honeybun,
My Endo suggested that I had Reactive Hypoglycaemia,
but I've never been diagnosed, I'm seeing my GP next week,
my other problem at the moment is Sleeping,
I manage to get 2 good hours, then my mind feels wired and I just doze for the rest of the night.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »

Hi Abiw

:welcomemm: from me too!

What brand and dose of HRT do you use? I also use bio-identical HRT - Estradot patches and progesterone ( Utrogestan).

I have suffered periodically with hypoglyacemic symptoms all my adult life but I am not diabetic. I only recently (last year) went to the doctor about it because it started happening more frequently but I put it down to taking a 12 days course of norethisterone one cycle instead of progesterone. I know that oestrogen/progesterone do affect blood sugar metabolism and I am wondering if this could be the reason for your reactive hypoglycaemia ie the peri-menopausal hormonal fluctuations?

I started noticing it more in the years leading up to peri-menopause when pms started to get worse, and I started getting migraones for the first time ( I didn't know they were migraines), and started getting the hypo-glycaemic symptoms in mid-late morning in the second part of my cycle. At this time hormonal fluctuations begin to become more dramatic so I am presuming this was the cause. I learnt to cope with it by changing what I had for breakfast - nothing less than a big bowl of oats, porridge or muesli (as well as a mid-morning banana) would stop me getting these symptoms. Very strange and completely different from normal hunger - I would go from just being hungry, to getting the symptoms within about 5 minutes and used to carry glucose tablets around with me just in case! It still happens now and again now - usually without warning - other times I can just be hungry for ages and nothing happens.

If it is this - at least you can help your blood sugar levels through your diet - this is really important. Cut out all refined sugars, cakes, biscuits, sweets, sugary drinks etc and reduce the amount of fruit and juice you take in, as well as reducing the amount other refined carbs (white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc). Try to eat slow release foods ( Low Glycaemic index) and eat more protein, veg, nuts, pulses, fish. Don't skip meals!

There is also a link between thyroid metabolism and our hormones so this can be tricky. Do you take medication for your thyroid and could this have something to do with it too? Some HRT especially oral HRT can affect or be affected by thyroid medication and I have read this mayneed adjusting after starting HRT.

Hope this doesn't sound muddled!

Hurdity x

Abiw

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 05:29:18 PM »

Hi Sparkle & Hurdity,

Thanks for responding to my post

Yes, I totally agree, I am sure a lot of the symptoms would be easier to cope with if only we could sleep.
I am very careful about my diet and do a lot of what you have suggested, and thankfully it has not happened too often, but I would still like to know what it is. I am going to the GP tomorrow, so hopefully she will suggest some tests.
I also had a palpitation yesterday and some fluttering in my chest and wonder if it is all linked?
I do take medication for my Hypo-thyroidism. I am currently on 125mcg a day which I take in the morning, it is strange , but up until about 2 months ago, I was taking 175mcg a day, but I started to get really hyper so cut down!
I take Bio-identical hormone cream, once in the early morning and once at midday.
It is Biest 0.5mg (Estradiol 0.1mg/Estriol 0.4mg) /Progesterone 0.3ml x 50ml
I seem to be okay for a bit and then suddenly, the hot sweats or sleeplessness or other symptoms will suddenly start again and the docs virtually say it's your menopause-put up with it and are unwilling to test my hormone levels without a lot of pressure.
It is so frustrating.
Abi x