Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Flu Jab 2015  (Read 14581 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flu Jab 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »

There is no 'light' version of 'flu, believe me!  A person who walks around complaining that they have 'flu, doesn't.  I couldn't bear light, noise, lift my head from the pillow, move ……….. aches and pains fortunately not in all the joints at the same time.  Very thirsty.  Rambling ……….. the first time for 3 days before I got up, the 2nd - exactly 12 months later! - 2 days of hot sweats, shivers from head to toe, aches, pains …….. left me weak for about a week. 

DH had to carry me to the bathroom which faces East  :o ……….. the sunshine hurt  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »

Wouldn't you want to avoid that then CLKD? Being left weak for a week is very lucky. It can take up to two months to really recover and each time I've had it (three in total) it's meant two weeks off work. It's a horrible and dangerous virus - so clever at changing itself too. I'm going to investigate the egg-free version of the vaccination. I hate the way it strikes so quickly. The last time OH had it he was struck down while at a gig in Bristol. Left here perfectly fine but 80 miles later he could hardly stand up when he got out of the car. Luckily the pub let him lie down in their sitting room and gave him a hot water bottle to try to stop the shivers plus dosed him up with paracetamol or similar. I was really annoyed that he drove home as I would have driven down to collect him but the painkillers brought his temperature down so he felt marginally better. He still wont have a flu jab even though he has COPD! Stupid man!

Taz x

thorntrees

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »

My feelings about the flu injection are,  that if it gives me some protection personally that can only be a good thing but also a good take up in the population should help protect the vulnerable-the young, frail etc plus those who for whatever reason can't have the jab. I know it's not the same with the flu as the strains vary each year but vaccination has brought about the eradication of some diseases- polio for example that was much feared when I was a child, but only if people take advantage of what research has discovered- doing something for the common good and maybe benefitting oneself as well seems a good option to me!. No doubt this will only fuel the should I shouldn't I argument so sorry about that.

Thorntrees

Limpy

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »

CLKD you obviously know how bad flu can be - so why don't you want to avoid it?

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 06:48:56 PM »

I get very very cross when people just dismiss the flu jab. Our NHS would not pay to have this available to everyone over 60 if it was not really important. Hubby went this morning for his and the surgery was packed with....SENSIBLE PEOPLE.....who have a bit of thought for themselves and the more vulnerable in society.
Unless you live in a field, do all your shopping online, and mix with no other people during flu season then get the jab that the medical community suggest you have.

DONT, go around spreading your flu to people like my hubby who has Type 1 diabetes, old people and children, and those who have health issues. There is enough of a strain on the NHS as it is.

It's a complete and utter no brainier to me. Why on earth take the risk. Ok if you are young and healthy but for the over 60s it's a must in my book.

If I had smilies I would be doing the exploding one as I get so damned mad about this. :(

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »

Well said HB, I was trying not to put it so bluntly!, but with the health service in the state it is before the flu season even starts perhaps a stronger message is needed.

Thorntrees

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »

I'm only blunt because it makes me so mad......don't want to offend anyone but would like to knock some common sense into the ones who choose to ignore recommendations from the NHS. They are there for a reason and we are very lucky to have the choice.
I also think I'm probably a bit scared of a diabetic having full blown flu as he would probably end up in hospital.
Not a nice thought.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »

I can see that you do get really annoyed about this hb and I do too although, as has been pointed out to me before, if the vulnerable people have their flu jabs as advised by the NHS then, surely, they are covered anyway so the fact that someone else doesn't bother to get their's done shouldn't put vaccinated people at risk. I get in a muddle trying to work it all out!! My own GP doesn't recommend it unless you have an illness or are over 65 or caring for an elderly person - not because you put them at risk if you don't have it but because you will not be able to care for them if you get it. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/who-should-have-flu-vaccine.aspx

I think it's a good thing to have it because I would want to avoid feeling so ill - I hadn't thought of having it to protect others though I must admit.  :-\

Thanks for the egg-free link CG.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »

You're welcome Taz. Just hope you manage to get it OK at your surgery, should you decide to go ahead with it.

Limpy

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »

The dismissing of the flu jab is sounding very like the opposition to the MMR jab.
That work was ultimately found to be flawed, think it was somebody doing a PHD with no solid clinical research.  The thing is while children weren't getting the MMR jab, Rubella got a spurt on. All very well till somebody who's pregnant gets it. As happened to somebody I worked with, her child didn't make it. All that for the sake of people being talked out of using a vaccine and Rubella getting a foothold.

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »

I think the thing is Taz the flu jab isn't 100 % so if a vulnerable person comes in contact they still run the risk of catching it. The more people who have it then the less risk there is of it being passed to someone who would find it very difficult to cope. I'm pretty sure flu would kill my mother, and my hubby would have dreadful problems.
How about those on chemo, they are still out and about.

That's the reason the kids and I all have it....we don't want to take any chances that we can possibly avoid.

Honeybun
X

robotwars

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »

I had it done because I care for my mother who has severe COPD, she doesn't really go out but I didn't want to catch it and give it to her or be too ill to look after her! LOL

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 11:19:12 PM »

Do you have to pay for it if you don't fit into the right category much like my son had to pay for his meningitis jab because he was 26 and not 25?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

The GPs get paid a tenner for each jab.  So of course they push it!

Also - by vaccinating every one allows more viruses to enter the populous.  We didn't have HIV/Aids before …….. 'flu alters it's genealogy on a regular basis so the medical profession is 1-step behind  ::)

I don't have a problem with getting 'flu again.  I haven't had it since 1988 and '89.  Even though it's 'been about' the locality on a regular basis.  DH had it once. His Mum never had it - except twice, 24 hours after the 'flu jab.  Which was pushed by her GP as he was getting paid a tenner ……. she had no reason other than being 70 to be injected.  After the 2nd time she didn't bother and remained well until a brain tumour in her mid-80s. 

Surely mixing with people encourages the immune system to 'kick in'. 

How is DH today Honeybun?  Any soreness in the arm?  Mum had a large bruise and a heavy feeling in hers for 3 days.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:45:29 PM by CLKD »

Joyce

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 04:15:10 PM »

You don't get flu immediately after a flu jab according to nurse at my surgery. If you catch flu within 3 weeks of jab, the flu was already in your system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5