Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cholesterol.....how to lower?  (Read 2366 times)

Cassie

Cholesterol.....how to lower?
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »

Hello Ladies has anyone sucessfully managed to lower their levels by lifestyle and diet changes as opposed to statins?

Thx

countrybumpkin

Re: Cholesterol.....how to lower?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »

Yes. Having an underactive thyroid means that my total cholesterol is always higher  its one of those things with this condition.  I have always been able to keep my ratio under the 5% mark with good and bad cholesterol.  I have been taking lestrin plant sterols tablets for years but  if I ever stop them the ratio goes bad.
I read that celery has a wonderful effect on lowering blood pressure and upping good cholesterol so 11 months ago I started juicing apple and 3 sticks of celery about 4 times a week.
A month of so ago I thought I had better get my cholerstrol checked as it hadn't been done for 2 years and although my total cholersterol is 6.9 the Dr said no one at my surgery had ever had as high a level of good cholesterol. Mine previously had been at 1 which is good but it was now at 1.5.  She was astounded.  So my ratio was only 4.6% which is great and she did that risk calculation and said I was actually much better for my age than normal range even though I am still about 3 stones overweight.

I am not continuing to juice the apple and celery 3-4 times a week.  The lestrin plant sterols are cheaper to buy than eating the cholesterol lowering food products.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »

Yes I've done it. By reducing calorie intake & exercise. I got into trouble last time as it was up again, but they didn't tell me they were doing that test along with umpteen others so I'd had breakfast & lunch. Due to get it done again in a couple of months. My brother & I have both refused statins & both of us have proved we can do it ourselves.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »

I did manage to reduce mine by sticking to the government guidelines for fat intake (one third of calories)- although I could not get enough calories in per day doing that, so probably not sticking to the guidelines at all  ::)

There is a diet that includes plenty oats, soya, and almonds that is supposed to help but I have forgotten the name of it.

Plenty oats, pulses and nuts and adjusting your fat intake so that more comes from oily fish and seeds, rather than dairy and animal (don't cut them altogether) is probably a good compromise.  Try to get plenty omega 3.

All the old research pointed to regular exercise and active lifestyle and this still holds true.

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »

I've heard that Curly Kale is very good for cholesterol. I have porridge every morning for brekkie and have done so for years. I have just starting adding chia seeds to it as these are also supposed to be good for reducing cholesterol. I exercise and do 'all the right things' as far as possible. Last test in May was total cholesterol 6.6, my good is 2.27 and my ration was 2.9. That's going some to have a good cholesterol of 1!
It can be quite a battle when under active thyroid impacts or family tendency. I was having mine tested every 6 months but I think once a year might be enough if I keep to good diet.
I've hair started having curly kale three times a week! This doesn't seem to aggravate my tummy , unlike brocolli!

Pollie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »

Hi
Just looked up mine

Total 5
Hdl 2.12
Ldl 2.7
Ratio 2.36

Is that the right way round ? A lower ratio is better ?

I have porridge too and also the spread that 'actively lowers cholestorel' - can't remember the name lol

Pollie

Pollie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »

Prajna I can't see anything in the link that relates to my post .....

Am I missing something ?

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »

Thx ladies hubbies "bad cholesterol" is elevated thus the GP wanting him to begin with statins, whereas I am keener for him to try the lifestyle changes as have heard such awful stories about side effects on statins....