Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT and high blood pressure  (Read 5086 times)

kazzy123

HRT and high blood pressure
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and the pratitioner at the surgery recommended I came off HRT, I stopped three weeks ago and am back to feeling horrible again! HRT was my saviour now I'm feeling like absolute rubbish again! Has anyone else had this problem with high blood pressure and HRT?

Anjia

Re: HRT and high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »

I am taking HRT and have high blood pressure I take a pill for it every day my GP says its fine .

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »

I have problems with the automatic blood pressure monitors - they always come up high.

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »

"the pratitioner at the surgery recommended I came off HRT"

Talk about a double hit (and a load of old rubbish).

As long as your being treated for High BP issue then taking HRT is not a problem.

If its causing you to feel horrible again so soon too then that's even worse for your BP problem!

Also there are sooo many people who read higher at doc due to stress of the appointment with your GP.

Hope you get back to doc and comfortable again.

:-*

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »

I have high BP & been on HRT. It just involves getting regular BP checks. Been absolutely fine.

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »

Ask for a 24 hr monitor.  Get that result then ask for a referral to a cardiologist or gynae asap. 

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »

Were you given any advice as to other ways to lower your blood pressure apart from coming off HRT? Lots of information on the Blood Pressure Association website - exercise every day can work wonders even if it's only a half hour brisk walk. http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourlifestyle

Do you know how high it was by the way?

Taz x  :hug:

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »

Hi kazzy123

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough at the moment and without HRT.

Great link from Taz about the effects of diet, body weight and exercise on blood pressure.

Also, this is what it says on this site about high blood pressure and HRT:

Hypertension   
    Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
    Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy.

How old are you/how long since menopause and what type of HRT were you on?

Hurdity x

Jaki T

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »

This is why I don't want to use HRT because of a risk to blood pressure. I've had high bp in the past.  I think it's a trade off - some would rather have high bp than eg sweats. As much as I hate the sweats and they are getting me down I never want to go through hypertension again

peegeetip

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:34 PM »

Hi

the HRT does not cause the high blood pressure per se.
Your more likely to have high blood pressure due to kidney problems/changes than your HRT.

Its a misconception that HRT is causing your BP rise.

If you hadnt taken it then you'd have likely got high blood pressure anyway. sorry.

As we have said in other posts there is no reason you cant have bp treatment and HRT.

:-*

warwick01

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »

Hi

I was advised to try 'Angeique' combined HRT. It is used for woman who have above normal BP. It lowered mine and to be honest one of the better HRT's I've tried. The only problem for me was my mood plummeted after 6 weeks and due to feeling depressed I came off it.

Speak to your GP re the above. Also it states in the pack info it lowers BP

Wx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »

That's interesting warwick01 - and very helpful!  :)

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »

My BP was always on the low side, until they took my ovaries out. Before op BP was absolutely fine. Next day it was up. They checked it throughout the day, still up. GP checked weekly for 3 weeks & it was still up. So I was put on tablets.