Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is it worth restarting HRT age 56 post menopause?  (Read 4473 times)

orchid

Is it worth restarting HRT age 56 post menopause?
« on: October 09, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »

After coming off AD's due to awful side effects I'm thinking of going back on HRT as everything is so raw, awful anxiety. Just worried about the risks again etc. Is it worth it even though I'm post meno and only occasional flush??

dazned

Re: Is it worth restarting HRT age 56 post menopause?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »

Hi Orchid

I would say it depends on which symptoms impact on your life the most. If it's hot flushes I would suggest that hrt is the most effective at getting rid of them. If it's anxiety think that there's only so much hrt can do for this and its trickier to get balance right. Have you tried other things for anxiety such as mindful meditation,CBT,etc ?

orchid

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:21 PM »

Hi dazned I've tried just about everything. I'm having CBT at the moment, I use mindfulness, tapping. Recently saw a homeopath which helped a little. I've been here before and was on AD's for years with Oestrogel for the flushes, which thank goodness have mostly settled. Since coming off AD's the most recent being Mirtrazepine for 7 weeks (horrendous side effects) I'm struggling. It all feels so raw after being buffered by Dothiepin for so long. I had to stop that as it wasn't good for my ectopic beats. I'm awaiting delivery of some 5HTP patches, which is a herbal remedy for anxiety and depression, with very good reviews. I've slapped some gel on...what the heck, I may as well try it for a couple of days and see...IBS really bad too through anxiety and very little appetite.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the 5HTP.
I've thought about them in the past but I'm wary of the side effects and the fact they can make you loose weight. I really don't need or want to do that.

Let us know how you get on with them.

Honeybun
X

dazned

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »

:bighug:

orchid

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »

Thanks ladies! Will do honeybun...x

orchid

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »

Anxiety settled with one pump of Oestrogel? Mm could it be?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

Did you find the HRT helpful previously?  What risks in particular, remember that there is 'recent' research that makes old research out of date  ;) -   )  if that makes sense? (

Also, making sure that you eat every 3 hours can help ease anxiety surges.  That's every 3 hours, 24/7, 7/52!

orchid

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »

Yes HRT controlled the flushes and seemed to help my mood, but then being on AD's as well it's difficult to know. I only get the odd flush now, but even then they aren't bad. Your right about eating, but isn't it hard when you have little appetite. It frightens me that I don't eat as well as I used to with being depressed although everything seems to frighten me at the minute!

vickypk

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:08:50 PM »

I had really bad anxiety for the past 2 years and I tried everything vitamins and herbal supplements, CBT, mindfulness, tai chi etc etc. I'm 58 and only started HRT Everol Conti patch 3 months ago and cut out sugar from my diet. So much better now. Also been doing the Linden Method.

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »

I dont see why not if it helps you, the gel is excellent just remember to use a progesterone as well if you have a uterus still, hoping you feel way better soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »

Oh I understand not being able to eat at all  :-\ - then my brain starts: you must eat, you ought to eat now, DH will be upset if you don't eat ……..  :( but I CAN'T! it's difficult even to drink anything.

I did find Bovril or Oxo melted with hot water in a mug useful, something I could sip.  For 4 months I  hardly ate anything.  As I began to improve I added cooked rice to bulk it.  I would look at the mug for ages, too scared to drink it in case I felt worse  :'(.  Plain boiled rice is filling.  Rice pudding from a tin; hot or cold ; helps.  Ginger biscuits or mixed fruits and nuts to nibble on were useful. Difficult to face but I didn't feel I was eating a 'meal' if that makes sense  :-\.

DH cooked chopped chicken breasts to cook with rice - night after night after ……….  it takes about 10 mins. of bad anxiety before I stop eating completely.