Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello and thank you from a new member  (Read 1894 times)

MegnB

Hello and thank you from a new member
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »

Hello!

I just posted under another section ("Thought I was losing my mind, and then...") before figuring out that I should've posted here first. Sorry!

I'm a 51 year old American expat living in London.  I really did think I was losing my mind before I figured out that everything I was experiencing was menopause related. Crying jags, anxiety attacks, hot sweats, night sweats, etc etc.  Gained 6kgs in 8 months despite working out.  How can I be that stupid, you ask?  I still have regular periods.  <sigh>

Anyway, the longer version is in another thread, but the short version is...saw a doc, cried a lot, had an in-office panic attack (that was lovely) and for the first time in my life took medication for anxiety.  I'm on Pregabalin, 300 a day.  I researched the hell out of this before I took it and agreed because it was non-addictive and had fewer side effects than other anti-anxiety and anti-depressants.  They also eliminate hot flashes. Supposedly.  I'll let you know.

The upside?  Only one or two miiiild hot flashes a week, panic attacks few and far between, I sleep like a baby and life is better. Can't ask for more than that, right?

I still can't believe I didn't consider menopause for all my "issues."  Why doesn't anyone tell you???  Thank you to everyone here for posting their experiences.  I really appreciate it!

<3
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:44:09 PM by MegnB »

Hurdity

Re: Hello and thank you from a new member
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:34:46 PM »

Hi MegnB

:welcomemm: from me too!

Glad you are feeling better at the moment. As your periods begin to become irregular and maybe you experience night sweats and hot flushes etc again you might like to consider HRT in the future instead of the medication? There is a lot of information and support on here!

Have you had your thyroid tested re the weight gain?

Hurdity x

MegnB

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »

Thanks for the welcome sparkle and Hurdity!

I am hypothyroid.  Have been for about a decade and under treatment for it.  Blah. It's a tricky thing to keep that thing in order.

I do have an appointment to see someone about HRT this week since there are issues the Pregabalin won't fix.  For now, I'm happy about only having hot flashes once or twice a week instead of 8 - 10 times a day ( a weird benefit of the medication) and a normal level of anxiety.  Normal for me anyway :)

Thanks, ladies!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »

:welcomemm:

Taz x

MegnB

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »

Thanks, Taz2 :)

MegnB

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »

I also have an appointment this week for Thyroid tests and hormone levels.  My periods are still around <sigh>, so  I don't know what that means for bhrt or hrt options. 

We'll see.  I've pretty much worn out the internets studying all my options.  I'm mostly concerned about interactions with thyroid meds and the issues with breast cancer in the family. 

We'll see what they say!  Thanks everyone!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »

What type of breast disease did your relatives have?  What treatment/s were required?  HRT doesn't have to be ruled out, mine was oestrogen dominate but even so, had I suffered meno symptoms I would have pressed for treatment, quality of Life is important.

More recent studies are important to consider and many GPs aren't up to date  ::)

There are several ladies here with thyroid issues .

MegnB

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 07:34:37 PM »

Unfortunately, there is a long string of estrogen dominant breast cancer in my family.  Sister (living), mother (living), aunt (died @41), grandmother (lived to 87).  :/    Brac tests negative for all.  I haven't done mine yet (I know, I know).  I've had mammographies every year since my early 30s.  Here's to hoping.

The thyroid issues has been really difficult to manage, but it seems to have stabilized.  I'm a little concerned any type of HRT will throw that out of whack again.  UGH. 

I had labs drawn today and an appointment.  There's lots to discuss (Poor doctor).  Now I have to decide whether I should stay on the Pregabalin, which seems to manage the hot flashes, insomnia and anxiety well or drop that for the HRT/BHRT. 

Who knows.  I have The Dumb today and can't make any decisions anyway! :P