Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Wasting medication  (Read 2956 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Wasting medication
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »

Apparently £M800 PA is wasted because patients order drugs that are never used  >:(

I have 1 bottle of nasal spray which remains un-opened, otherwise I order as necessary.   Monthly.  Many items can be brought over the counter so I try to buy when required.

However: GPs/Pharmacists should take more responsibility !

If any one is given a prescription but isn't sure whether they agree with what has been suggested then they should wait, have a think, before changing it up  :-\: because once it's left the Pharmacy it cannot be re-offered, not even into the 3rd World as previously, incase [apparently] it hasn't been stored correctly  ::).  So do think carefully before changing the prescription for medication!

Limpy

Re: Wasting medication
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »

My local Boots are good.
I select what I need for the next month as I pick up my repeat prescription.
If I forget anything I can ring to get it added, assuming I remember in time.  ::)
Last year the Pharmacist took me into an office to discuss my repeat items and how I was using them, very helpful.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

Ours are different: if I re-order 'too early' they won't put it out for me which is less than helpful if we are going away  >:( …… I have to explain why I need them early  ::).  We can't get any items unless we request them each time separately, the Surgery would never simply hand out medications 'in case'.

bramble

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »

We have to put our repeat prescription forms round to the doctor's with the boxes ticked so no mistakes over what we need or get. Just introduced on line re ordering and it is the same. But only medicines needed all the time are on the form. Those needed periodically have to be re-requested from the doctor each time. We also have an annual review of repeat medicines with the doctor.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »

Same here bramble.

Hubby is a bit different as he has a large amount of meds regularly. He needs insulin on a regular basis, but also needs all the paraphernalia that goes with it. Needles, test strips, lancets, sharps bins. I ask him every week to tell me what he needs because it's difficult to get everything to run out at the same time. I then call the pharmacist and she orders for him.

Another unrelated moan.....hubby has an enclosed sharps box into which he puts his needles which are not actually open but pushed back into the container they came out of. The doctors surgery will accept the sharps box....fair enough. Hubby drops me off and I run in with the box. Some receptionists tell you not to wait in the queue but come to the desk and hand it over. Other ones if you try to do that won't even touch the box and treat it as if it's radioactive. They make me feel as if it's something dirty....  They present an open container that you have to put the box in....oooo it makes me so angry.

Rant over....had to get that off my chest  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »

Would your Pharmacy take them without fuss Honeybun?

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »

No, it's classed as medical waste CLKD so pharmacies won't touch it.

It's not nice when a receptionist holds up a basket at arms length. This is not a small box...it's bright yellow with a clip top. Not sure what they think will happen to them if they come in contact.....he is not a drug user but an insulin user.....well you get my drift.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

Words need to be said!  :-\ ……….. education, education, education …...

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »

I know the feeling HB - I had a sharps bin for 18 months as I was having weekly injections of methotrexate to treat psoriatic arthritis (self-administered).  I too had the 'arms length' reaction to taking the full bin to the surgery for disposal  >:(  Not a nice feeling at all.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 04:20:32 PM »

I hate attitude  >:( - me, being, me - would have said somefink  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »

I really can't be bothered. If they are going to be ignorant then that's their problem.
I'm good at what my kids call " The Evil Look " .
I think the look on my face says it all because when I do deposit the sharps bin into the basket they hold up I do it in slow motion with " the look " on my face.
Mind you I did question one receptionist....my least favourite one, as to why the box was at her feet as something life threatening might get onto her legs. It was said with a sweet smile. She has never made eye contact with me again.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

:rofl: