Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: side effects from anti depressants too much to take  (Read 8030 times)

lyn

Re: side effects from anti depressants too much to take
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »

Interesting replies, ladies. CLKD: I've never heard of a yellow card here in Australia and I'm a nurse. Must be a British thing. Also, you obviously have found an AD which does not cause so many side effects? You say it's not a cure, so how exactly does it make you feel better, if you don't mind my asking? I really want to know.
 I agree with all of you who say they'd take anything to feel better...I would too but everything so far has made me feel so much worse I am still hesitating to try another AD. I am having hypnotherapy on Wednesday so we shall see...
Crazydaisy, I have just had blood tests yesterday and will know the results on Monday. Wouldn't it be so simple if all of this were due to low calcium  or low thyroxine levels?
 My GP is very fussy and thorough, believe me, as I'm a very fussy nurse. I would not have stayed with him for 30 years if this were not the case. I am the type of nurse educator who makes sure all  patient care is thorough. Maybe I am too fussy in life? a common trait here, perhaps? But without the complainers/fusspots would anything ever get changed for the better?
Orchid, I will look into the tapping, thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »

Well it's not a cure because I have underlying depression, both clinical and organic which can break through.  Also I feel 'hung over' some mornings  ::).  I take 5mg morning and evening.  If my brain becomes depressed for more than 3 mornings I up the dose to 10mg at night and 5mg in the morning for 5-6 days or until I feel less 'low'.  My GP is Ok with my self medicating. Feeling hung over is far better than being unable to get out of bed at all.  I have to take a maintenance dose for Life. 

lyn

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 02:31:57 AM »

CLKD, at least it helps you live your life, eh. So sorry to hear about the depression. It must be very debilitating indeed. You didn't say exactly what the medication is? If you don't want to say, that's fine too, just curious.

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

Well Meno-brain here, swallows the meds morning and night but can't remember which I take : >reaches for packet< - "Escitalopram 5mg' night and morning.  Plus Propranolol (beta-blocka).  Emergency med when necessary, can't remember the name think it might be Lopremine (sp)

Now at least I recognise when my brain requires chemical support.  Before I didn't know I was becoming depressed, my GP saw me walking through the village 1 morning and phoned that evening, telling me to attend the next day.  I hadn't had ADs for a while so he re-started me …….. a Psychiatrist came to the house eventually as I was a danger to myself, she recognised the cyclic pattern and recommended a low maintenance dose for Life.  I didn't want to take something for ever but it's improved our Life  ;).

Now if I could get rid of the blasted anxiety  :bang:  ::)

How are *you* feeling this evening?

lyn

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 12:46:07 AM »

I will have to check but I think the one you are on made me much worse! i am feeling quite well, actually. Long may it last.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »

Some side-effects - I couldn't cope at all. 

Glad you are feeling a bit better !

lyn

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »

CrazyDaisy...you were spot on. It was low calcium. I have increased the dose and am crossing my fingers.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »

How did you find out?

crazydaisy

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »

Hi lyn, you will soon feel better,  I know when my calcium is low I feel awful and anxious, it is a symptom of low calcium. Have you joined http://hypopara.org.uk...they are very helpful and have a great facebook page for support.

lyn

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »

Thanks, CrazyDaisy, will check out the website.
 CLKD...I had extensive blood tests for everything on Friday and my GP rang yesterday and said the calcium was very low. This hasn't happened since they removed my thyroid years ago (I have managed the calcium problem well with tablets and 6 monthly blood tests) but apparently menopause can muck things up!
I am off to have the hypnotherapy today as I want to manage my anxious responses better than I do. I have the rest of the year off on sick leave but need to psyche myself up to return in January as husband says quitting work is not a very good option. I have to agree. :-\

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

Tell Husband that your Health is more important?

I wonder how I would suspect my calcium levels are low  :-\ ……..

lyn

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 11:44:17 PM »

CLKD it is highly unlikely you have low calcium unless, like crazydaisy and myself, you have had thyroid surgery and damaged your parathyroids as a result, so I wouldn't go there. It is a rare medical condition following surgery.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:28 AM »

:thankyou:  ……… you probably said earlier in the thread  ::) ……..
Pages: 1 2 [3]