Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: HRT and leg pains and aches  (Read 48409 times)

Hurdity

Re: HRT and leg pains and aches
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »

I'm sure I asked this before but have you had a complete blood test? ie thryoid, iron and various vitamins etc? This would at least test for a lot of different things across the board - some of which can cause joint aches etc.

Hurdity x

Peterspots

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »

I am on levothyroxine and my thyroid levels are good. I have low ferritin & low vit d which I take vit d for. I have not had joint/muscle pain until I started the hrt 4 weeks ago

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 06:52:01 PM »

There is interaction between oral oestrogen and thyroid medication so it may be that this needs increasing? The interaction could lead to the joint aches and pains as there is also overlap between symptoms.

Hurdity x

Peterspots

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 07:17:51 PM »

I had a blood test last week & my results are good. I didn't even have joint pains when my thyroid was originally out. This seems directly related to the hrt. It has been reduced & the consultant said it is a side effect. Maybe same as spider is experiencing.

spider

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »

Peterspots I am still having leg pains today and have no other issues....I tried prempak c some months ago and ended up stopping because of similar leg aches and pains...

I have no doubt it's down to the HRT but will persevere for another month or so to see if it eases off.

Hope you get some relief soon too  :bighug:

Suzyq

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 03:08:01 AM »

Mine lasted 4-5 weeks and then went. I did take magnesium to help

spider

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 07:37:06 AM »

Thanks suzyq...might try some magnesium...can you buy this in the pharmacy?  :thankyou:

peegeetip

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 08:15:24 AM »

If you add more estrogen again then your bones will experience an awakenen phase.

Estrogen helps with the maintenance of our bones and if we've been without it for sometime then adding it back gets that process underway. Unfortunately you'll encounter dull pains which could be likened to growing pains.

Please note this is different to symptoms of blood clot/dvt.

pain, swelling and tenderness in one of your legs
a heavy ache in the single affected area.
warm skin in the area of the clot.
redness of your skin, particularly at the back of your leg below the knee.

So if you like me and only have the ache and pains then its down to our bodies awakening from their slumber. As others have said it will pass.

However if you get the DVT time symptoms above (heat,redness,single area) then please get it review immediately.

Hope that helps.

:-*

Suzyq

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 10:59:11 AM »

Yup you can buy magnesium most places - I used dissolvable powder as the tablets are humongous!

peegeetip

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 12:19:44 PM »

Magnesium wont really help with the ache associated with our bones "awakening" :)

A full and varied diet should suffice.

"There is the balance of calcium to magnesium to be kept in the range of 1:1 to 2:1. If you take more magnesium than calcium, then you are going to upset your calcium balance. However, this is not an issue for people whose dairy intake is high."

If your cutting out dairy due to diets etc then keep an eye on if you want to take this.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:31:09 PM by peegeetip »

spider

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »

Thanks peegeetip!

I did worry about DVT but have none of the symptoms you describe so I'm sure it's the oestrogen effect 👍

Glad to hear others have suffered too and I'm hoping it passes soon. I'm only a week into my second pack of femoston and reluctant to stop given the last five years of misery with flushes, dryness, anxiety, depression and so on.

Fingers crossed  :sigh:

peegeetip

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »

keep up the good work as the saying goes.

sorry to hear you had such a long time time with all those problems.

for some of the problems you mentioned "down below" took around 6 months before I felt almost back to normal (whatever that was).

some get there sooner with local treatments too.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »

Thanks PG. I am on the BCP so got a bit worried. But both my legs just really ached, like I'd hiked for miles up hill and down dale. Accompanied by really stiff and achy ankle joints too.

No tenderness or swelling or redness, thankfully. Legs fine again since last night, just left with painful left ankle.

So I think it is hormonal. I had a withdrawal bleed (despite not actually taking a withdrawal break from the BCP) for most of last week, and it finished on Saturday at just the same time my legs really started to ache. So can't be a coincidence can it?

I think my own hormones managed to overide the BCP causing the bleed, and once that stopped my oestrogen started to rise = leg aches.

Does this make sense, or just me?

Briony

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »

Definitely makes sense - I think that's why I got it so badly when I started the BCP. Must confess, I went to my doc on more than one occasion convinced it was a blood clot (and that was pre HRT or the pill) and she reassured me that a clot is usually only in one leg, and is very often warm and accompanied by swelling. She did measure each calf to check (by which stage I felt like a right fraud for wasting her time!). I remember her saying that if it's muscular, it's more likely to be related to progesterone levels? She also checked my magnesium at the time as this can cause cramps.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »

Glad you agree, it's rare I feel I make any sense anymore!

I would love to be able to sit down with an endocrinologist and really get to the bottom of what goes on hormonally. I would find it very reassuring if they could test your levels and say 'Yes, I can see that xyz is happening which is why you're reacting with xyz'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4