Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Obsessing about things  (Read 11912 times)

honeybun

Re: Obsessing about things
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »

Really hope that the GP can help. Anyone would be very stressed in this situation, meno or mot.
Can I ask how old your daughter is. She has obviously closed down with regards to how it's making you feel. Can you push the GP to get her counselling or perhaps consider going privately.

Such an awful situation that you are in.

:hug:

Honeyb
x

jedigirl

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 12:36:42 PM »

Hi honeybun,
She's 15,. We are waiting for a referral to CAMHS. It takes 6-8 weeks for an appointment though. Before this we tried some private counselling but it hasn't helped, she didn't really like the counsellor. I can't believe how bad i feel that she is finished with her boyfriend too. They were so sweet together, always giggling and dancing, made me very happy to see them. He was always here and i feel like I've lost a son almost. I know this is because I'm seeing everything through an anxious state but I'm so sad.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »

15 is a difficult age, neither child nor adult, but somewhere in between. My girl turned into a bit of a monster to be honest....but at nearly 21 now she has changed entirely and I'm sure yours will too.
The hard part is getting through now, but hold onto the fact that she will mature and you WILL get your girl back.
As for the boyfriend, I'm afraid that was always going to happen. There are very few that have only the one. I miss my kids childhood friends that were around and under my feet for years. But things evolve and change as your children get older. There will be other boyfriends to get used to along the way.
Has she got any close girlfriends. Try to keep her busy and occupied if you can.

Hopefully your GP will be of some help today.

Let us know.

Honeybun
X

jedigirl

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »

Thank you Honeybun,
I hope so, I miss my funny sweet girl. Everyone always comments on her happy nature and big smile.
I always knew they would split one day, i'm shocked I'm so upset. I think it may be because they were one of the few happy things around during the past year while i was so ill with peri. Don't get me wrong, my two sons are lovely but the eldest is always in his room and the youngest is happier with his dad geocaching. They also got on well with boyfriend and that pulled us all together to play cards etc at times.
Yes she has a lovely circle of friends who she has known since primary. She feels alienated from them at times as they are all getting better results so she feels she doesn't fit in. The cutting stems from this as well as feeling intimidated at school. She is busy, she does 14 hours of gymnastics every week and we always plan one day out a weekend. To be honest I'd like to hide this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:09:53 PM by jedigirl »

SadLynda

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »

sending hugs from another anxious Mum, and mine is 24 ::)

I have to say though at 15 she was awful, and if memory serves so was I.  Afraid I have no experience with self harming, but I do know my SIL got a very quick referral to the mental health team by the family mentioning the 'S' word.  From my experience with mental health (not for me, but daughter and SIL) you need to keep at them for results, they are of course over stretched but if you feel things need addressing more urgently you need to keep returning.  Can also move higher up list after a visit to A&E though be prepared for the 9 hour wait there.

jedigirl

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »

Thank you SadLynda
The referral has only just gone in this week so am not holding my breath for an appointment. Don't want to do the A&E thing, she gets upset if i even mention hospitals.
I might see if the school can help to move things along quicker.
x

SadLynda

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »

I just had another book recommended to me on the FB anxiety group.  Its Called 'from panic to power' by Lucinda Bassett.  Good Reviews, I have just ordered a copy so will see if it helps me or my daughter.

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »

My daughter also had friend problems and was a very unhappy girl for a while. It's very common at this age. My daughter fell in with a crowd that really didn't give a damn....she followed suit for a while until she failed a load of exams. That was the wake up call.....she pulled her socks up, but in the process lost her group of pals. It was a very lonely time for her. Groups of girls can be an absolute nightmare.
Her brother was a godsend. He took her out and about, sports and cafes and eventually to the pub  ::)
She is now in her honours year at uni and has a lovely group of friends.

Can your son help.....sometimes they relate better to someone nearer their own age. If he could just take her out and do something with her.....it might help a little bit if she could talk to him.

Honeybun
X

Dandelion

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »

I have noticed more and more recently that I obsess and worry about everything much more than i used too. I'm not just talking health wise but about my children, work and problem that comes up seems insurmountable. Since becoming peri I've had some nasty bouts of anxiety but this is more like over thinking and obsessing.
We found out a few months ago that my teenage daughter is cutting her arms with the stress from school. I can't relax at all , always wondering when she will do it again and if she'll go too far. Also she is in the process of splitting with her boyfriend of 15 months (they're having a break) and I am ridiculously upset about it. He had become a big part of our family, came on holiday with us, joined us for days out etc and I feel so upset. My eldest boy has finished his A levels and seems to have no direction in his life. Work feels like such an effort, shopping, cooking all seems like wading through treacle. My mind races constantly then i feel exhausted and want to sleep.
I don't know what the answer is, does anyone else feel like this??
jedigirl
Hi Jedigirl

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having such difficulties at the moment.
I am so sorry to hear your daughter is cutting her arms.
I've always bitten mine when I get angry, as take my anger out on myself, and it has got worse after peri.
I remember the anxiety hitting me and it's never been the same since.
The best thing that you can do for your daughter is to just be with her and allow her to cry.
I remember getting a whalloping across the head from my Dad at 8yrs old because I bit my arm in a temper. From then on, I would always hide any marks on my arm from them, it was easier when I left home, as I sometimes punch my face and give me bruises, so I would just make excuses why I could not visit my parents until the bruising went down.
When I lived with them, I would bruise my head where it was hidden by hair.
They don't know that i still self harm but my Dad died last year, so he will never know.
My parents came from the era where phrases like "Straighten your face" "Stop moaning/whinging" were how upset children were dealt with.

My self harm definitely increased in peri, and I used to wake up with a hot and sweaty upper body, wet neck, etc, and I used to wake up suddenly with butterflies in my stomach, it would feel like I was on a roller coaster, and a feeling of dread.
Everything seems a problem, but I was doing CBT at the time which helped, because I could sort out, what really was a problem, from the things that weren't, ie, I was viewing them incorrectly, in a negative light, or the problem could be sorted.
The CBT helped lessen the obsessive things.
I was always prone to obsessing and fixating, as I have suspected ADHD, just waiting for a psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis.
My hrt helped a lot with anxiety, and the only anxiety that I have left remaining are the personal problems that I cannot do anything about, and thinking about them results my thoughts going round in circles.
CBT helped me to feel that it was ok, not to think about these problems, unless some new factor came along in life, which changed the problem and warranted a re-think.

Your young son may be tired after his A-levels, and I know you are not specifically asking for advice, but if I was 18, and directionless, like I was back then, I would try to spend as much time as I could in doing something that I enjoyed, because when you are young, you can concentrate on your talents and become good at them, and happy in the work that you do.
When I was 18, just earning money was my goal, so I got a series of unsuitable jobs.
The important thing about work, is to enjoy what you do, not money, because it's easy to get stuck in a job that pays, but to be bored and miserable and feel trapped.
I would have gone to art college, if I was 18, as I enjoyed and was good at it, and would probably have a career in it.
Terence McKenna said if you don't have a plan, you become part of someone else's and this is what happened to me.
I only realised my art talent decades later, I knew I was ok at it, but an artist ex-boyfriend, plus the right tutor at art night school, and a book by Betty Edwards brought out my talent.
So, ask your boy what he enjoys, if it's football, let him play football and best of luck.

I find housework difficult and overwhelming. I have some unsolvable problems with my flat and housework does feel exhausting so I only do bits at a time. I try not to have clutter, do little bits at a time, and don't refuse offer of help from your kids, or maybe give them a little wage if they can help round the house.

It took me a while to get the right hrt.
The first time I went, and returned after it not working, my doctor was very curt and brusque about it, so I increased the dose to femoston sequi 2/10 and for a whole year, becauase I was so downhearted with it all, I did nothing, as I couldnt face battling the doctors to get what I wanted.
I had got IBS from peri, and the tablets were just going straight through me.
One GP didn't want to give me patches as I have migraine auras.

I started on evorel 50 and utrogestan, on a private prescription.
I obtained some emails from Dr Currie to explain that I could have what I wanted, and only one of the GP's would read the emails, and she continued me on evorel 50.
After trying three months on it, I went back, as I was still anxious, depressed, flushing, but the IBS was a little bit better.
After another three month trial on 75, which was a little better, the nice GP was happy to prescribe me evorel 100, and things are a lot better.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:15:03 PM by Dandelion »

jedigirl

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »

Thank you all for such lovely replies and advice. Today has been awful, just the worst.
Yesterday I went to the doctors who doubled my citalopram to 20mg and gave me a few sleeping tablets. The sleeping tablet knocked me out straight away but i still woke every two hours with surges of panic. I had to tell my 76 year old Mum what was going on as couldn't hide my upset any more after months of it. She has been amazing but i worry she'll be upset when she's at home thinking about it.
Today feel utterly drained and cried most of the day, trying to hide it from my daughter. Shes talked to her boyfriend today and they've finished, agreeing to be friends. Both were relieved in the end that they were feeling the same way.
It's taken me till now to pull round a little though I'm still quivering and trying to get food down. I feel as though some kind of shock has taken over my body. I wonder if the upset has knocked my hormones again as feel similar to last year when i was having adrenaline surges. I changed to Sanrena gel instaed of Eastrogel a month ago on the advice on my meno clinic but it seems to stay sticky for ages and am wondering if its absorbing enough.
Dandelion I'm so sorry you're going through this, thank you for sharing that. I also obsess and fixate about things. I like to have a handle on what's going on and don't like change. I'm finding out all this at the age of 45! Peri doesn't help, it seems to make all your emotions techni colour. I was almost hysterical sobbing this morning, i feared for my sanity. Maybe i need that.
Am going easy on eldest at the moment. He is doing a month Princes Trust course at college in January and is aiming for that, with some voluntary work in the school I work in. I will talk to him about his sister again, they are close but avoid talking about anything deep!
Sparkle and Honeybun, glad to hear your daughters are doing well, gives me hope.
Love to all ,jg x

jedigirl

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »

Thanks sparkle,
She seems fine about the split though she is good at hiding her true emotions.
Yes told her head of year and form tutor. She's had two counselling sessions from head of year who claims to have some training but they seem to have stopped except he caught her in the corridor and said "positive thoughts today, yes?" if only it were that easy. Idiot.

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »

Oh that's very helpful....Not. Honestly what good does that do.

It's such a worrying time for you, but hopefully with the right help things can get back on track.

Honeyb
x

Peterspots

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »

I found www.youngminds really helpful. They have a good parent section.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »

I am more concerned about your upset that the couple have split.  That isn't healthy.  This is her Life, although you will be sad your 'job' at her age is to support ……… and your feelings about the split seem to be in the way!  Although it is nice for the family when everyone is happy and smiley, this doesn't happen all the while.  Your coping skills and reactions should not hinge on how your childrens' lives are running.  You have to stand back - hard when they are hurting but you need to be supportive.  You won't be hiding your feelings however much you think you might, because kids know  ::)

As for being angry when your DD cuts - what will that achieve?  Who are you angry at exactly?  Did your GP suggest counselling as well as upping your medication?  He should be able to suggest self help groups too.  If not have a look at MIND Charity?  If DD goes where other teens are having similar problems it may well give her the realisation that this too will pass.

I was dumped at the age of 13 by the boy I had known since the age of 9 - he broke my heart  :'(.  We have been in contact over the years and remained close once I got over the shock which took years - then I met DH  :-* and 'fell' in love  ;).  When my Dad told me that 'there are plenty more fish in the sea' I remember saying "I don't want any other fish" …. I could take U to the exact spot we had that exchange of advice  ::).  I have been hurt by friends since ……. and now close up, I don't give as much to people nor do I expect to 'take'.  It took many years to let go of being needy.

'positive thoughts today' …… I echo 'helpful - not'!  Positivity doesn't enter into it, I would be finding out exactly what 'training' they have had!!! No one should be counselling others unless they have been counselled themselves and then taken specific 'courses'.  Being a teacher isn't the same  ::).  I worked for Psychologists by the way who weren't much help to me 'cos they hadn't been in my situation  >:( …….. therefore couldn't feel my emotional needs.

How are you this morning?

jedigirl

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »

CLKD
You are right, my reaction to the split was extreme and I realised that. I think I allowed myself to get too close to him and his family, they became frienda, especially his Mum and we talked about some quite personal things and put the worlds to right.
Am not feeling like that so much today, now i know they are both happy. I am feeling very anxious but not with her, this feels like the sheer panic i get with hormones.
I certainly think something is happening with my hormones  as I am bleeding today when I shouldn't be but my mind feels clearer. Had a change in my HRT and something is  not suiting. Also have a pain in my left side which I've had before so am wondering if I have a cyst.
I think the anger comes from being fearful what will happen if she doesn't stop. I realise it's not helpful and I haven't shown her anger, we've talked openly about everything. I am supporting her and told her how proud of her we are that she's handling things the best she can for now. It's not always easy to say the right thing in the heat of the moment and this is on top of me feeling hormonally crap anyway.
GP told us that when she goes to CAMHS there are family support workers as well as whatever my daughter needs.
Thanks all x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4