Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Obsessing about things  (Read 11917 times)

jedigirl

Obsessing about things
« on: October 01, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »

I have noticed more and more recently that I obsess and worry about everything much more than i used too. I'm not just talking health wise but about my children, work and problem that comes up seems insurmountable. Since becoming peri I've had some nasty bouts of anxiety but this is more like over thinking and obsessing.
We found out a few months ago that my teenage daughter is cutting her arms with the stress from school. I can't relax at all , always wondering when she will do it again and if she'll go too far. Also she is in the process of splitting with her boyfriend of 15 months (they're having a break) and I am ridiculously upset about it. He had become a big part of our family, came on holiday with us, joined us for days out etc and I feel so upset. My eldest boy has finished his A levels and seems to have no direction in his life. Work feels like such an effort, shopping, cooking all seems like wading through treacle. My mind races constantly then i feel exhausted and want to sleep.
I don't know what the answer is, does anyone else feel like this??
jedigirl

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Obsessing about things
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »

Sometimes.

Your daughter needs support outside of the family.  This can become really serious and triggered by lack of control and stress. 

Your son has been busy with 'A' Levels, give him some slack!  I still don't know what I want to do with my Life other than marry someone who loves me  ;) - but I did sh/typing course, which took me places I would never have considered. 

If your son is home more perhaps, now that he is leaning towards adult-hood, ask how he would like to help around the home  ;)

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »

hi CLKD
We're waiting for a CAMHS referral for my daughter but it takes a while.
Son is helping around house with the garden and makes a meal for us coming in from work on a Friday but it is all with alot of asking, he'd happily sit in his room all day.
I just feel I haven't the energy to deal with family issues never mind a stressful job. I want to hide under my duvet ::)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »

Hope your daughter gets the help she needs soon. I'm really not surprised you are stressed about that, I know I would be as its not something you can control.
Is there any help available at school.

As for your son. If he is not going onto further education, what is he going to do. If you are out at work and he is at home then he should be doing a heck of a lot more than one meal a week. If you are funding him then unless he pulls his weight....

When my son was unemployed he did a lot around the house and he was 24 at the time. It was his contribution.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »

Maybe your son doesn't like to offer help because you've always done stuff.  So sit down and suggest what he sees as his contribution, maybe he can do his own laundry/ironing once a week?  Putting out the Council bins?  There may be things he *will* do so putting the suggestion to him as part of his living at home, regardless of whether he is paying rent/ not.  After all, when he has a place of his own he can live as he likes: however  ;)

Point out that you are feeling less than well right now.  That you have 'gone through' the 'A' Level hype even if he was unaware and that you now need some assistance.  1 meal a week is a start  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »

I sympathise. Not same kind of family stress, but last 2 years or so have made me quite anxious. Health worries with daughter's partner & their youngest daughter. They live 400 miles away, which added to the stress. We couldn't help them as readily as we could have if they'd been nearer.

I ended up getting tablets from doctor & had CBT to help deal with it.  We worry about our kids, no matter their age. Mine are 30 & nearly 35 & I worry.

Exams are so stressful for youngsters these days, so much pressure is put on them. Teenage romances can cause all sorts of problems too. Be there for her, shoulder to cry on, whatever it takes. I'm sure you are already.

Some career advice might help your son, although don't remember it being much use to me. Our son  didn't appear to have any idea when he left school. However, we were on holiday & phoned home to see if all was OK. Turned out he'd gone along to an open day at local college & signed up to do a mechanical engineering course. He got a job after college in marine design & has been there ever since.

My mind races, especially thinking of "what if" scenarios. Part of my make up, or so hubby tells me. Some days are an effort for whatever reason. I don't go to work though, which helps.  How some ladies manage work at this stage of our lives, I don't know. If I was still working I'd be a wreck.

Sorry that probably isn't much help. But at least you know you're not alone.

jedigirl

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »

HB,
He says he will apply for jobs, it's taken two months for him to do his CV. I leave him a list of things to do each day which he does, ironing etc. He's such a home bird though, very quiet.
Am very worried about daughter and seeking what help we can.
Thanks xxx

jedigirl

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »

Thanks all,
Your right Cubagirl work is a struggle, though I'm more distracted there.
I'm trying to suggest things to eldest son and he nods and says its a good idea then nothing changes.
I'm at a loss as to why i feel so upset about my daughters split, have seen it coming. We all got on so well with the boyfriend I feel like I'm grieving for him and miss him . Daughter seems as if head is all over about it.
I just can't string a sensible thought together  :'(

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »

Is the split part of the problem for your daughter or did the boyfriend know too much about what she was doing with regards to the self harming.
Change is hard at this time of our lives, I for one just want everything calm and don't cope well if things start going wrong.

Could your sons dad have a word about work or training of some kind. The longer he leaves it the harder it will be for him.
It's difficult for youngsters to see a way to make a living sometimes, but if you stop some of his money then that might be an incentive.

You need to step back for just an hour or so and have some time for you and your sanity. Even if it's a walk or yoga, just anything to give you some relaxation.

Honeybun
X

orchid

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »

Hi Jedigirl...I sympathise with your feelings of your daughters ex, same thing happened to me and I grieved a while, but my daughter wasn't happy in the relationship. She has since met and married a wonderful man and has a family. It's hard, but we have to trust that things do work out for the better. With regards to how your feeling try to get some ME time, even if it's just lying on the bed doing some deep breathing for half an hour. That's what I'm doing at the moment as I'm suffering bad anxiety. It helps get things into perspective and calms you down. Take care...Big hug!

jedigirl

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »

Honeybun
no, the split isn't the problem, her self doubt is the problem, hence she cuts and isn't sure of her relationships any more
Thanks orchid x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »

Is DD aware of your feelings about missing the soon to be ex ?

jedigirl

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »

No, am letting them sort or not sort without my input. Think it's for the best x

jedigirl

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »

thanks Sparkle
jg

jedigirl

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »

Sparkle
How is your daughter now can i ask? I feel so desperate today, I barely slept am burning up with anxiety, which was edgy anyway with this ruddy peri.
My daughter cut again on Weds but we just found out last night. I am so cross with her too. She cut herself then messaged her boyfriend about it in case he noticed, (they do gym together) but they are having a break from each other. She can't have it both ways.
 I can't believe the girl she has become, she was always so sunny. I feel so angry that she can't see how its affecting so many people, then feel guilty that i feel that way when im supposed to support her. I am in such a state I rang in sick today, i just can't face anyone. I booked a gp appointment for later for myself. I need help to get through this with my sanity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4