Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena and sequential HRT  (Read 5315 times)

Pollie

Mirena and sequential HRT
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »

Is it possible ? How would this work ? Anyone have any experience of it ?

MM indicates that it can be done as it discusses mirena at the bottom of the page but I can't understand how it would be done. Would you have extra progesterone say from a sequi patch on top of that in the coil ?

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Anyone more knowledgeable than me throw any light on this ?

Pollie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena and sequential HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »

You need Hurdity here  ::) or someone using both products. 

Briony

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »

Surely you would just take the estrogen only patches? With the Mirena, I think you dont need sequential progesterone as you have a little bit there all the time? Certainly this is what my GP wanted to prescribe (I chickened out and went for sequential Utrogestan instead!) x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »

Hi Pollie

The explanation about the Mirena on the page you link to explains how it is used ie by women in peri or post menopause.  It explains that it stops a bleed in many women even those who are still having periods and as Briony says you would just use oestrogen only patches, gel or tablets to go with it. No need for any extra progestogen. 

Hurdity x

Pollie

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »

Hi Hurdity thankyou

So this means that anyone with a mirena needing hrt for peri symptoms must have a conti regime.

As you know I am still struggling to understand all this hormone, menopause, hrt stuff so my next question is why doesn't everyone just go straight on to conti ?

Why have sequential hrt at all ?

:( can you explain to me ?

Pollie

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »

Hi Pollie

There's another thread started by Nina I think going on at the moment discussing sequential HRT vs continuous progesterone. The main reason for staying on sequential HRT when you are peri-menopausal is because while you are still having a cycle you can get unscheduled bleeding if you try continuous combined HRT by any other method than the Mirena - even with Mirena some women still get light bleeds (if their bleeds would have been very heavy without it). Also personally I would say it is more difficult to distinguish between bleeding from your own cycle kicking in (progesterone withdrawal bleeding) and bleeding due to over-thickening  - and the lining randomly coming away (oestrogen breakthrough bleeding). The latter could lead to endometrial hyperplasia and potentially cancer. I'm not sure if this is ever cited as a reason though - just my take on it!

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »

Hi Hurdity thankyou

So this means that anyone with a mirena needing hrt for peri symptoms must have a conti regime.

As you know I am still struggling to understand all this hormone, menopause, hrt stuff so my next question is why doesn't everyone just go straight on to conti ?

Why have sequential hrt at all ?

:( can you explain to me ?

Pollie

Pollie, how could you have a Mirena and not have continuous HRT? You could hardly take out the coil for two weeks every month? 

Pollie

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

[/quote]

Pollie, how could you have a Mirena and not have continuous HRT? You could hardly take out the coil for two weeks every month?
[/quote]

Now I really know how mad I sound  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm just lost confused and bewildered Briony but I will get better at all this I promise !

Briony

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »

Lol Pollie -  I know how bewildering it all is. Basically sequential is when you have progesterone for part of month, continuous is all month but a lower dose usually.  Therefore with continuous you don't get a bleed. Either way you have the estrogen all the time. The Mirena provides progesterone all the time so it's more like continuous than sequential, if that makes sense?