Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Evening primrose oil - your experiences?  (Read 4996 times)

Evening primrose oil - your experiences?
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »

I started taking evening primrose oil (1000 mg) about 10 days ago. Mainly because of my uncomfortable breasts, and having read that it can help. If I already think it might be helping, is that just a placebo effect, or could it really be working this fast? Anyone else tried evening primrose oil, and what did you think? Did it help you, and what symptoms did it decrease?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Evening primrose oil - your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

It was often suggested in the 1970s/80s for PMT etc.. Does it matter if it's a placebo if you are less sore? 

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »

It was often suggested in the 1970s/80s for PMT etc.. Does it matter if it's a placebo if you are less sore?

No it doesn't :) ...

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »

Maybe keep a diary of how you feel first thing, what exercise you have during the day, your general moods and what you eat?  What dosage are you swallowing?

We have evening primrose in pots - pale lemon flowers which turn to pink and this year is the first in 10 that we haven't had tall yellow flowering plants in our garden.  They spread like fury and I can see some down the road  ::) so once they set seed I will transfer some back here  ;D.  When sitting in the evening sun we can almost hear the flowers unfurling …… and the night-flying moths love 'em.   I find them peaceful to watch as the buds gradually open.

Let us know how you get on!  Anything is worth a 'go' if it eases symptoms, hopefully for long enough to get regular relieve!

Rebelyell

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »

I took it for 5 years and swore by the effects - in fact once when the family were aware I took hubby's castor oil all week by mistake as I mislaid my specs and I had dreadful hot sweats.  But then my GP [who advised me to take them!] said that the research had been totally discredited in 'The Lancet' - apparently the doctor concerned made it all up!  The GP put me on HRT at that point!!

But I must have believed in them enough to make them work!!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »

Sorry to giggle but many ladies across the UK had help for various symptoms by swallowing EPOil. 

Without seeing the 'research', i.e. was it Peer Reviewed etc.  ::) - if it worked, don't knock it  ;)