Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Op Cancelled At last minute  (Read 10396 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Op Cancelled At last minute
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

I would consider finding that something is amiss with the implant an emergency.  Maybe some product information had come to light?  Better to find out prior to pre-med/GA. 

I would be asking for a further appt. with the Surgeon to discuss  ;)

Linsey44

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »

Hi CLKD

I understand your comments re the implants perhaps not being suitable at the moment but they hinted it was supply related, which begs the question did they order them?

Also as I has submitted an official complaint to the NHS board the consultants secretary has called to say the he wont respond to any questions until he has read the points I have raised.

So it would probably be futile to ask for an appointment at the moment.

Ive emailed and am waiting on a reply from patients rights at Scot govt as no one at the NHS will tell me of my right to be treated and offered an alternative date within a reasonable time frame. 

I would prefer to go abroad at the moment but need clarity on whether I am expected to be a available at short notice or not, as a family we cant be expected to put our lives on hold.

Also I dont accept that there is only one manufacturer of these or there would be a global shortgage of them and they would have known that.

I dont want to be any more patient as my journey to get to this point started 18 months ago and we have already had to work family life around heaps of appointments.

Thanks for your input and hope you are having a good day today.

Linsey  x

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

However, as an ex-Orthopaedic Secretary I know that NHS Staff are busy and currently morale is very low.  People make mistakes. 

18 months may seem a long while because your symptoms, appt.'s etc. are constantly on your mind, but in the bigger picture, it isn't long at all.  I wonder what 'action' and why you feel you need to take any? but advice to you: don't take 'on' the NHS until you have at least spoken with the Consultant, because it will drain you of energy! 

Surely it would have been quicker to have made an appt. with the Consultant to find out the whys and wherefores  :-\ …. maybe he didn't know until shortly before he went into Theatre?  You may find that you have alienated the Surgeon by making an initial complaint without talking with him  :-\.  He may feel that he doesn't want you as a patient in future.  Also, why shouldn't there be 1 Company who manufacturers implants  :-\ …….. why would that cause a global shortage?  Manufacturing 'lines' can go wrong, there can be occasional delays in transportation: what ever the reason you are on the 'better' side of 'wrong' than having reached theatre etc.!

Going abroad brings with it a huge range of possible problems. Firstly finding a reputable Surgeon/Team. For which there will be NO redress with the Surgeon/Hosptial and the NHS will have to pick up the pieces  :-\ ………

9 a.m. - what time did the Surgeon begin operating?  Mine used to begin at 7.30 a.m. Maybe he opened the 'pack' containing the implant/s and discovered a problem.  A problem which made him decide to cancel/postpone all types of similar surgeries.  There then may have been phone calls made to find out if other Hospitals have 'spares', if other Consultants had discovered similar 'problems' …… [from the other side of the bed, I have spent hours chasing round 'stuff'  ::). ]

Linsey44

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »

No i mean go abroad for a holiday

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »

Oh silly me ……….  ::) - that explains that sentence to me clearer  ;)

Had you a holiday booked?  I now see why you would like to have a 'date' for surgery but as stated above/below, maybe there are technical problems which have to sorted before a date can be suggested.  You could of course tell the Hospital when you are likely to be away and a holiday, anxiety allowing, at this time of year is a bonus  ;)

Linsey44

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »

Ive got 2 holidays booked already.  Flights booked for the 30th Dec for 10nts and and again on 23rd March for 3weeks.

Prob partly feeling sorry for myself as we would normally go away as well at end sep for 3 weeks and as my date was 17/9 we didnt book leave from work, now restricted with daughters school and there is no flight availabilty to where we need to go.

im currently off sick but cant just stay off until i get a new date as they cant give me a timescale.  Work is undergoing a lot of change which i would normally enjoy but i just dont feel mentally equipped to deal with at the moment.  There is no way they would give me leave instead

Linsey x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »

In the Company for which I worked one had to use up all annual leave before one could get un-paid leave.  However, 1 is entitled to be 'off work' for illness you know  ;).  You've had enough stress with the lead-up to and cancellation of, for whatever reason, your expected operation - so a few weeks off work to rest might be wise! What does your GP suggest or do you have to self sign sick leave?

Linsey44

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »

Gp has signed me off for another week but i will go back to him and ask for longer if i still feel like this next week. 

Will just try and relax and see how it goes.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend CLKD.  Grand Prix on tomorrow somthat should be good.

Linsey x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »

But only hi-lights  >:(  ::)

Rest as much as you can during your week 'off'.  Feet up, cuppa to hand - in the garden if it's sunny enough. 

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »

Did you get any replies yet?

Linsey44

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »

Hi CLKD, thanks for asking.  I've spoken to consultants secretary, hopefully she can find out more as she is to call me back tomorrow.  She doesnt handle his surgery lists and couldnt tell me whether it was a supply issue, recall or technical or health issue with the implant or even if it had been ordered.

Just been to my first yoga class as I feel stressed.  Lots happening here and not just with my op.  Im not usually a stressed type of person so am not taking it well.  Hahaa.

Hows your day been so far?

Linseyx

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 10:01:01 PM »

Did you read The Telegraph article yesterday relating to implants?

Linsey44

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »

No CLKD I didnt, been busy last few days

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »

Told all about the implant problem  ;) - now wonder whether I kept the papers  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3