Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan to oppose estradot 100  (Read 2603 times)

Nina

Utrogestan to oppose estradot 100
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »

Hi I've moved from oestrogel to estradot 100 patch. I normally take a daily utrogestan which is great however will it be enough to oppose the patch?  I'm 43 and no bleeds since started utrogestan apart from 1. Used to use 3 pumps of gel, but developed va and let's just say I was lackadaisical about using it  ::)

The doctor has said to stay on utrogestan regime and see how it goes, so I was wondering whether anyone else has the same? I'm concerned about irregular bleeding I guess, also I don't want a build up either.

Got some ovestin too for my bits. Used vagifem but need some 'entry softener'  ;D

Briony

Re: Utrogestan to oppose estradot 100bt
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »

Hi Nina, can't help you much other than to say others definitely take this too - I'm wondering about swapping myself as I feel my 2mg pill isn't strong enough, so I'd be interested to see if anyone responds. Am I right in thinking this patch is stronger than the 2mg pill equivalent? Am same age as you and am keen for something strong enough to stop ovulation. Prof Studd suggests 200mcg patches with Utro for just seven days, but that seems a lot of estrogen to me? Are you in peri or full meno? I am still peri but think I'd rather take Utro continuously as I hated the dip I had when in 200 mg for 12 days.
Hope you're u get some answers soon B x

Nina

Re: Utrogestan to oppose estradot 100
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »

Thank you briony!

Well I was having very light irregular periods for a while before hrt, very light and regular during hrt. When I started utrogestan for days 15-26 I think I had one bleed? Anyhoo the dips after stopping were horrid so I asked to change to 1-25 and that was great, now I just take it every day. I like the stability it provides.

The patch so far has been fine, i just think I must have been low on oestrogen for a long time which gave me non specific symptoms but not bad enough to see the doc? In fact it was va that sent me this time and not the gel - however it was the gel that was changed!

I just hope that utrogestan every day at 100 is enough to keep my womb nice an thin!

dazned

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

Are you saying you are on a no bleed regime at 43 sorry I'm a bit confused,meno brain again  ::)

Nina

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »

Hello yes I am, although I didn't have a bleed on sequential either! I've had one i

Briony

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »

I know a few others do this (take Utro continuously) at a younger age too - Jedi Girl I think? I guess it's no different than taking the contraceptive pill continuously like, for example, GypsyRoseLee does? That said, my GP wasn't as easily convinced as I still have (irregular) periods. Utro seems to be one of the few progesterones where the dose remains the same, regardless of amount of estrogen. Do you take it vaginally, Nina? If so, you're more likely to be absorbing it 'where it's needed' so you should be ok. We need Hurdity to confirm! x

PS I found this link. It's interesting that it doesnt say the 100mg continuosly must only be taken by post meno/ladies over 54 - though on other sites, it contradicts this.

Nina

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »

As far as I can see, it's all to do with break through bleeding. So, if I'm happy to potentially encounter that then what's the problem? There's no actual risk of anything else. I've read Dr currie explaining it on here actually I'll see if I can find it again. Meantime, here are a couple of other articles:

I mean, I feel so much better continuously taking it so would feel sad if I had to stop.
W̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶  ;D

http://ftwendo.com/to-bleed-or-not-to-bleed-2/

And

https://jeanhailes.org.au/contents/documents/ALM/Managing_menopause/HRT_Followup_assessment_PatientUK.pdf

Briony

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »

Great links - thank you. Just realised I forgot to add the links I mentioned and now I can't find it!
I'm with you all the way re taking what works for you. I would rather have a bit of spotting than the massive dip I used to get on sequential HRT. X

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »

Yes I am always puzzled at the "one dose fits all" approach to Utrogestan - whereby the same dose is given to women on 25 mcg patch or 100 mcg. Intuitively - because the effects of progesterone in opposing oestrogen are dose dependent - one would expect a higher dose of utrogestan would be needed with a higher dose of oestrogen!

As you say Nina - the problem with taking progesterone all the time when you are peri-menopausal is the possibility of unscheduled bleeding - due to your own cycle kicking in now and again.

A compromise for women who are still peri-menopausal is taking it on days 1 -25 which means that if the lining had thickened, a bleed would occur. Personally unless I was sure I was post-menopause I would prefer to take it on this basis (although I don't like taking progesterone anyway!) because otherwise the lining could thicken and then come away sporadically - and without a scan you wouldn't know if this was to do with your own cycle or because of endometrial hyperplasia.

The progestogens in the birth control pills are much stronger than progesterone in their actions on the uterus and at higher doses - and therefore the concern over possible thickening is perhaps reduced so they can be taken continuously.

Hurdity x