Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: First Mammogram  (Read 4741 times)

toffeecushion

First Mammogram
« on: September 06, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »

I have been selected to take part in the early screening scheme (I am almost 49).  I am going to have it done, but just wondered what you all thought about mammograms.  According to the leaflet for every 1 cancer they pick up 4 will be picked up that wouldn't have caused problems in the future therefore causing a lot of women to suffer treatment needlessly.

toffeecushion

Re: First Mammogram
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »

That must have been really scary for you, glad everything was ok.  Do they hurt as much as they say they do?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »

I think that overall it's a good idea. Mind you my friends breast cancer was the second most common one and this type is often not picked up on mammograms hence the advice to still check your own breasts and take a good look at them in a mirror to detect any changes in size and shape and also making sure the nipple is still the same at least once a month.

As you get older it's far less painful as the breasts become "empty" losing their tissue - it's more like putting a partially filled paper bag in the machine rather than a melon (or grapefruit depending on your sizing) - well that's what I've found at nearly 62.

Taz x  :)

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.

We are often told that outcomes are better if problems are picked up early so Mammograms get my vote and I've had two so far.

Hope it goes well for you.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.

We are often told that outcomes are better if problems are picked up early so Mammograms get my vote and I've had two so far.

Hope it goes well for you.

K.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »

I agree its a bit of a conundrum because just like prostate cancer  there are some breast cancers that would never spread or cause problems but will be picked up on mammo.

From experience my mother had her first mammo at age 60 ( this was the age then) and it picked up a very very aggresive cancer that never would never have formed a lump it just scattered cancer all over her breast.  She had treatment and lived another 7 years before it recurred and she died but had she not had the mammo she would have been dead in less than a year they said.

The waiting for results is agony though and very stressful but could save your life.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »

I think we are lucky to have the choice.

I found a lump years ago and was sent for a mammogram. Again the lump showed.....but then came the more extensive examination with ultra sound. Luckily it was a large cyst which was drained....
I think the point I'm  trying to make is that for me anyway the mammogram was not the end test but the start point.

I always go when I'm called and go for my smear tests too.

I make hubby go for whatever they call him for. The latest was the aortic aneurysm. He didn't want to but did it to shut me up  ;D

I think we should take advantage of the tests we are offered.

Honeybun
X