Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ortho Evra or Nuva Ring to control peri symptoms?  (Read 1847 times)

Briony

Ortho Evra or Nuva Ring to control peri symptoms?
« on: September 04, 2015, 05:23:56 PM »

Just wondered if anyone has used/uses the contraceptive patch or vaginal  ring as an alternative to the pill during peri menopause? Unlike the pill, I've never seen it suggested as an alternative to HRT for people who need stronger cycle control. If you have tried either, I'd love to know how you got on?

From what I can tell, side effects are usually less than those associated with the pill (especially for the ring) and there is good cycle control.

I think the contraceptive patch has a higher risk than the pill (unlike the HRT patch which is less of a risk) whereas the ring has  a lower risk. Does anyone know if that's right?

http://www.gponline.com/non-oral-contraception/contraception/contraceptive-devices/article/881244

Poppyflower

Re: Ortho Evra or Nuva Ring to control peri symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »

I was on the patch previously Briony and felt like it was quite good. I believe they think the possibility of blood clot is greater due to the fact that more of the medication is absorbed transdermally, rather than orally, just like with our HRT patches. I have read that with transdermal application we are absorbing almost 60% of the medication and with oral it is something like 20%. Overall the risks still remain far lower than hormone level associated blood clots during pregnancy. I have not really heard too much about the ring, but was offered this as an option. Have read stories of it falling out and such but you just pop it back in there.......was unsure if I wanted something in there all the time!! By the way thank you for the reply on my tingling thread.....muchly appreciated.

Briony

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »

Thanks you too for replying here  :)

The more I read about the ring, I like the sound of it. Was only introduced in UK around 2008  hence reason not many people discuss it as an option I presume? Drop out rate is very low (in terms of people not wanting to take it anymore ... I'm not sure about the literal drop out rate ! ::)). x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »

My daughter, who is in her 20s, is using the contraceptive Ring. She was having problematic bleeding with other BCPs and the Ring was recommended - she gets on with this very well and gets no side effects.  Whilst it probably wouldn't help with flushes and other meno symptoms, it makes sense that it might help with heavy bleeds and erratic cycles in peri meno. I would imagine, a bit like the Mirena, it delivers a stronger amount of progesterone more directly to the uterus, hence controlling the bleed more. Of course it would take care of the contraceptive element as well. DG x

Briony

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »

Thanks DG, that's really helpful. I only heard of it very recently. Does it have estrogen in as well as progesterone? X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »

Hi Briony - not sure - maybe look it up on the net to find out. Probably worth discussing with GP or family planning clinic? My daughter goes to a FPC in London where they are really clued up about all this hormonal stuff so GPs may not be up to speed about the RING. I doubt it would reduce flushes etc  DG x