Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Night time visits to the toilet  (Read 10182 times)

toffeecushion

Night time visits to the toilet
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »

Does anyone else have to keep getting up in the night for a pee?  4 times I was up last night, and desperate each time.  Is it a peri symptom?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Night time visits to the toilet
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »

The body is supposed to make less urine over night  -  I think there's a hormone or something which can control the effect.  However; last night I was up twice.  One night last week 5 times! and each was a long wee.  I find that the more I drink in the day the less I need to be up.

Usually I manage to go back to sleep  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »

Had this for years.  Most nights it's just twice but if I drink anything after 7pm I get up more often. Being back on HRT has helped a bit as I don't wake so often because of night sweats but my body still seems to want to offload all the fluids at night. I think it is to do with certain hormones - apparently the hormones that stop the kidneys working when you sleep are not produced so well as you get older.   The decline of these hormones often coincides with the meno. DG x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »

I can vary from night to night. Often if something wakens me, I go to loo anyway so as not to get wakened again.

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »

Nocturia is one of my specialities - lucky me ::)

During my vast research with Dr Google on the subject there are pills for it - and also can improve with the right hrt balance.
Makes no difference at all what I drink or dont drink - I have so far had I think two or three weeks off caffine and no joy so far.

The only thing my 'rather unefficient' now EX GP did for me was put me in for a bladder scan - two weeks later the paperwork is done and I have my scan in a couple of weeks.  Also due to Stress/Urge incontinance.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:28:50 PM »

My mum takes pills called Vasicare that stops her weeing in the night. I think the idea is that they relax the bladder and enable it to hold more, therefore the urge to go as often is bypassed . They work well for her, so there is help if you need it.

My problem is situational urgency. When I get to the loo I find it hard to hold on until I get things unbuttoned and pulled down and have had a few incidents. I think I wait too long but when I get there I am sometimes in trouble.
I do drink a lot but no caffeine after lunch. Herbal teas or Red Bush is what I have to drink. I do drink a lot of water though. I keep a glass at the sink and regularly have a glass and that goes on up until bed time. The last thing I do is have a big glass of water before I go to bed.
I think perversely drinking less causes more problems although I'm not sure I understand why.

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »

That's why my mum has them. Getting up in the night at 93 is not a great idea.

When I do I have to sit for a minute to make sure I'm not going to fall over. Of course unlike men we try and do things quietly. I do wish my hubby would leave the lid up though  :o

Honeybun
X

bramble

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »

I very rarely get up during the night, like twice a year! Have a glass of water with my tea then normally a mug of coffee before/in bed. .

Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »

Even more disconcerting when you wee on the closed lid though  ;D

Oh coffee at night bramble.....I would be awake all night.

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »

Unfortunately I'm not kidding either......well I was half asleep..  :o

Totally blamed hubby and as I wakened him up to complain bitterly as I cleaned up....he hasn't done it again.
Now he leaves the seat up and I end up with my bum two inches above the water.

I'm sure he does it deliberately ....although he would deny it  ;D

Honeybun
X

Rebelyell

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »

During the day my bladder is amazingly strong, which is why a recent bout of anxiety driven bladder issues bothered me so much.  But I can't remember when I last slept through the night, probably pre first pregnancy.  I must admit I thought most women 'of a certain age' had the same problem!

Dana

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »

Does anyone else have to keep getting up in the night for a pee?  4 times I was up last night, and desperate each time.  Is it a peri symptom?

Oh yeah, I definitely have this. It was worse during peri, when I wasn't on HRT. I would wake up needing to urgently pee every 2 hours on the dot. Now I usually need to go maybe twice through the night, no matter if I've had something to drink after 7pm or not.  I don't mind too much as long as I can go straight back to sleep, but sometimes once I'm awake like that I won't be able to go back to sleep unless I watch TV for an hour or so.

The only time this doesn't happen is if I'm having trouble sleeping and I've taken a small dose of Endep or doxylamine. Then it tends to knock me out and I don't wake at all. Also, if I'm having trouble sleeping, and I haven't taken a dose of Endep or doxy, I will be going to the loo just about every 20 minutes, but probably this is brought on by the stress of not being able to sleep.

I think perversely drinking less causes more problems although I'm not sure I understand why.

I read an explanation for it once, and I'll see if I can explain it because what I read made perfect sense. The example this article gave is….. imagine really dry patched ground. If you pour water on to it the water tends to run off and not soak in. However, if the ground is already moist the water penetrates straight away. So it appears to have something to do with our bodies becoming dehydrated and then not being able to absorb the water as well, so it runs off directly into our bladder and we need to pee in the middle of the night more.

Bluebell59

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »

Same here, I have heard if you get a pint of water and sip it throughout the day it will keep the bladder moist.  Small sips, just a mouth full, not huge gulps.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »

Ditto with me sparkle - I hardly seem to need to get up any more. I think I am sleeping more deeply so bladder is not waking me. Also I have stopped having post-evening meal cup of decaff - and swapped to (wine!) and water - well only wine sometimes - but I make sure I drink two glasses of water in the evening. I didn't used to drink much water except in tea and it has really made a difference.

I do need to get up though when on the utrogestan phase of my cycle - as I use it vaginally so there must be some slight irritiation there   - or the effect of the prog on the bladder/urethra?

Coffee in bed bramble  :o Please say it's decaff at least?

Dana I have read that too - will try to find a link
http://askdrgottmd.com/more-water-lessens-frequent-urination/

Here's one on the effects of alcohol (vaguely related):
http://www.medicaldaily.com/science-breaking-seal-urge-urinate-comes-more-often-inhibition-anti-diuretic-hormone-316382

I am sure you can google others - this was just a hasty scan!

Hurdity x

Rebelyell

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »

Isn't it weird - I slept through the the night having posted that I never do!!
Pages: [1] 2