Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Any tips for Cysitus please  (Read 20137 times)

honeybun

Re: Any tips for Cysitus please
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2015, 07:33:50 PM »

It's one of the few ABs I can take with few problems as with the others...I really struggle.
I have not taken any, except for one course 5 years ago for a tooth abscess.

Apart from that it's been about ten years.

I don't really understand whether I would have to have something different due to AB resistance when I have taken them so rarely.

Oh I hate them....did I mention that  ::)

Honeybun
X

Katejo

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »

It's one of the few ABs I can take with few problems as with the others...I really struggle.
I have not taken any, except for one course 5 years ago for a tooth abscess.

Apart from that it's been about ten years.

I don't really understand whether I would have to have something different due to AB resistance when I have taken them so rarely.

Oh I hate them....did I mention that  ::)

Yes I hate them too but can also take Amoxycillin without side effects. I have had too many AB's this year and the other UTI ones had horrible side effects. I had a tooth infection in July but it did improve quickly with Amoxycillin. I suspect that I will have to take this course. Apart from July, I haven't had any for quite a while.
 Earlier I felt more positive but the symptoms have crept back. I have 2 doses of Trimethoprim left (day 3) to take tomorrow. I really want my appetite to return. It is very small at the moment.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2015, 10:02:27 PM »

[quote author=honeybun link=topic=29040.msg461536#msg461536 date=144139

Honeybun
X
[/quote]

Honeybun - it's not you that is resistant to the antibiotics - it's the fact that a certain antibiotic has been used in other people to such an extent that the bug in question has now developed a resistance to it. It makes no difference as to how often you have used it. If it's an antibiotic used to combat a common bug then it's to do with the extent of it's use across the whole spectrum of patients that's the problem.

I've developed allergic reactions to many of the antibiotics used to deal with UTIs. Trimethropin is one of the ones which brings me out in a rash within a few hours, sadly, because it is an effective antibiotic.

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2015, 04:38:14 AM »

The trimethropin has worked for me before but is doing nothing thks time. Am about to start the Amoxicillin as a last resort.  If it doesn't work quickly I won't be going on my holiday on Sunday.

LizeeeH

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »

yes trimethropin seems to work for me  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2015, 10:05:57 AM »

Has your urine been cultured Kate to find out which antibiotics the bug is resistant to? I've found that's the only way to get it sorted.

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »

Has your urine been cultured Kate to find out which antibiotics the bug is resistant to? I've found that's the only way to get it sorted.

Taz x

Yes I provided a sample at my practice on thursday to be sent to the lab but the result won't be available until next week. I am supposed to be going on holiday tomorrow. The duty doctor at the hospital also gave me a prescription for Amoxycillin as an alternative and i have just started taking it. I just hope that it will work. If there is no improvement by tomorrow, I am not sure if I will go.

Katejo

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »

yes trimethropin seems to work for me  ;)

Was it just a 3 day course as mine was or longer?

Bluebell59

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »

Please don't drink tea, even decaf.  Tea, (including decaf) contains Tannin.  Tannin, is used to soften leather so imagine what it does to the bladder !  Also do not drink cranberry, cranberry irritates the bladder which is why people drink it just when they have an infection as it irritates the bladder wall to get rid of stuff.  I found all this out on www.cobfoundation.org/   this is the cystitis and over active bladder foundation, neither drink orange juice - citrus is an acid.

Also look at your diet, are you acidic? Get some ph strips from the internet, if you are acid in your urine then you probably are in your blood too, leave off acid foods/look up acid & alkaline foods on the internet.  For example, meat is acid, vegetables are not.  From yesterday I cut out red meat which is hugely acidic.  I don't think I can cut out meat completely so I shall eat chicken and fish and see how I get on.  You can get ph drops to put into your drinks to make them more alkaline.

Oh and sugar, bacteria sticks to it and breeds.

I now drink just herbal tea, camomile, peppermint and Red bush tea and I sip water and I don't drink after 8pm.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »

The only way to avoid tannin is to avoid any tea.  I have been a tea drinker for years: black with 2 sugars thanks : there is NO evidence that cranberry juice does/not ease urine type problems.  It was the 'in' drink but the research was done by yep, those who sell cranberry juice. [which reminds me about another topic in the Press recently: off to search the Brain Cell].

How is meat acidic  :-\ .. as with sugars, there are several types of acids dependant on the fruit of choice.  How will you buy your chicken and fish?  Cheap chicken is 'cheap' for a reason; and fish is often farmed, which I believe to be cruel and often pumped with antibiotics and other chemicals to get rid of sea lice. 

Trim ….. may well do good but I couldn't tolerate it  :-\ so it was a waste of a prescription.

honeybun

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »

Actually Cranberry Juice from the supermarket does absolutely no good at all. It's very little juice, water and a huge amount of sugar which is not good.
The only good way to take cranberry juice is to buy the concentrate from a health shop. It has to be taken very strong and is very acidy on the tummy.

I don't know anything about meat being acidic but it is vety difficult to digest.

You don't have to buy cheap chicken or fish. I would rather eat better and less than more and cheap.

Bluebell has gone to guest status....don't know why though.

Honeybun
X
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:35:43 PM by honeybun »

CLKD

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »

I asked a question maybe she didn't like it?

I find that red meat can be difficult to process.  I don't have indigestion as such but find my bowel feels heavier than usual.  It also makes me feel bunged up.  Doesn't stop me eating it though probably 1 every couple of weeks.  Usually it's chicken; fried, curried, roasted …...

Scampi

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »

Google d-mannose.  It really does work - I used to get regular doses of cystitis with just the degree of symptoms you have described (burning pain - enough to make me cry - urgent need to urinate every 10 minutes, blood in the urine, nausea, raised temperature, general malaise ... you get the picture), and I'd get attacks like that every few months.  In desparation one day, I was searching the internet and found d-mannose.  It's expensive, but I ordered some anyway ... and I've never looked back.  I now carry it everywhere with me and take big dose if I feel that tell-tale tingle.  I've been cystitis free now for over 6 years.

What is d-Mannose exactly? I also want an alternative to antibiotics. The nurse suggested an anti cystitis powder which could be bought from a pharmacy.

d-mannose is a sugar (the d- bit is important!).  The vast majority of cases of cystitis are caused by e.coli and is difficult to shift as e-coli 'sticks' to the lining of the bladder (causing the inflammation and pain).  e.coli actually has more affinity with d-mannose than it does with the bladder wall, so if you can load your urine with d-mannose, the e-coli 'sticks' to it and is flushed out with the urine.  Luckily, d-mannose passes through the kidneys into the urine easily, so all you have to do to load the urine with it is eat the stuff!  The important bit for effective treatment is getting hold of pure d-mannose, not a mixture with a low contentration of d-mannose in it.

Katejo

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »

Thanks. Can hou give me the web link which you used please? I will have a look.

CLKD

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »

Where does e.coli live?  I know that some bacteria thrive in the bowel so that if the toilet paper comes into contact with the urethra it can cause infections. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7