Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Any tips for Cysitus please  (Read 19760 times)

honeybun

Re: Any tips for Cysitus please
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

Glad you are feeling better PN. Is the GP going to give you another urine test to make sure you are infection clear.

Loose Women and Martin....yes .

Honeybun
X

purplenanny

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »

Thanks HB, surprisingly he never asked for a sample
I guess they think if it comes back I will go back to them >:(

PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »

Your GP hasn't sent a urine sample for testing probably due to Bank Holiday ……… however!  Give them a ring and ask if a urine sample is now required! because if there isn't growth it may be VA  ::)

Did I dream it or are you going to see Loose Women  :-\
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:56:49 PM by CLKD »

Scampi

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »

Google d-mannose.  It really does work - I used to get regular doses of cystitis with just the degree of symptoms you have described (burning pain - enough to make me cry - urgent need to urinate every 10 minutes, blood in the urine, nausea, raised temperature, general malaise ... you get the picture), and I'd get attacks like that every few months.  In desparation one day, I was searching the internet and found d-mannose.  It's expensive, but I ordered some anyway ... and I've never looked back.  I now carry it everywhere with me and take big dose if I feel that tell-tale tingle.  I've been cystitis free now for over 6 years.

purplenanny

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:17 AM »

I will definitely get some of that Scampi as I hate taking antibiotics  :thankyou:

pN x x

purplenanny

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »

Blimey, just looked and yes, it is very expensive!  But then I guess a prescription is over £8.  But not after December.....yay!  Or is it  :(

PN x x

Scampi

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »

It is expensive, but I don't take a maintenance dose, so it's not too bad.  I just load up if I feel something might be brewing.  For me, it's been worth every penny.  Best wishes.

Katejo

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »

Cystitis comes under the umbrella term of UTI katejo. Cystitis affects the bladder and urethritis affects the urethra. These two are lower UTI's and ones affecting further up the urinary tract such as the kidneys are upper UTI's. Very confusing. Lower ones are less dangerous than upper ones. I certainly don't want another upper one. It took me months to feel really better again.  They don't prescribe cephalexin here now due to it's association with C.Dif in our local area. I usually end up on Ciprofloxacillin. I hope you get something sorted.

One thing - as we get older, apparently, we don't always get any burning sensation even when it is a lower UTI.

Taz x
es I know that. I just meant that I don't get the intense burning feeling. I did go to the hospital yesterday. I saw a nurse practitioner. I said that I didn't want cephalexin or Nitrofurantoin. She suggested Trimethroprim which has worked for me before so i agreed to that. A previous doctor had told me that it had been replaced by nitrofurantoin because it had become less effective. I mentioned this but she said that it was only if used too frequently. I have only taken 1 tablet so far (another this evening) but things seem a bit better than yesterday so hopefully it will work!

I had to go to the health centre this morning and leave another sample for testing. Will get the results when i get back from my holiday. Why oh why do I get this just before a holiday!

Have any of you used Amoxycillin with UTI's?  In general it works well for me without side effects but I haven't tried it for UTI's. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:44:33 PM by katejo »

Katejo

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »

Google d-mannose.  It really does work - I used to get regular doses of cystitis with just the degree of symptoms you have described (burning pain - enough to make me cry - urgent need to urinate every 10 minutes, blood in the urine, nausea, raised temperature, general malaise ... you get the picture), and I'd get attacks like that every few months.  In desparation one day, I was searching the internet and found d-mannose.  It's expensive, but I ordered some anyway ... and I've never looked back.  I now carry it everywhere with me and take big dose if I feel that tell-tale tingle.  I've been cystitis free now for over 6 years.

What is d-Mannose exactly? I also want an alternative to antibiotics. The nurse suggested an anti cystitis powder which could be bought from a pharmacy.

purplenanny

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »

I used the powders from the chemist katejo, but I think I left it too late before realising what it was and therefore needed antibiotics. Not sure which cured it as I kept going with both!

Hope you feel better soon
PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »

Different ABs are used to target different types of infection Katejo - Penicillin being the original and other types being developed since.  Sadly over-use both in human and animal care is resulting in bugs becoming 'resistant' = ABs no longer as effective. 

Katejo

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »

Different ABs are used to target different types of infection Katejo - Penicillin being the original and other types being developed since.  Sadly over-use both in human and animal care is resulting in bugs becoming 'resistant' = ABs no longer as effective.

Yes I am fully aware of this.   :)I don't want to take AB's if not necessary. However, with UTI's, it can get worse if you delay going to the GP. I just wondered whether other forum members had had success with Amoxicillin for this purpose. When i get this, it starts just before I am due to go on holiday! It can't be entirely a coincidence. When the symptoms started on Tuesday, I wondered whether my body was just imitating the condition.

LizeeeH

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »

Cystitis has been the bane of my life, from early 20's when Dr's called it "honeymoon" disease ;)

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »

Is Amoxcycillin a suitable AB for cystitus?

Katejo

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2015, 05:09:42 PM »

Is Amoxcycillin a suitable AB for cystitus?

Have a look at this link  http://www.rxlist.com/urine_infection/page8.htm
There are others too.  I am feeling a bit better this evening so am cautiously optimistic that the Trimethoprim might be doing its job.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7