Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie in her 50's & feeling bleugh!  (Read 5348 times)

Mandrose1

Newbie in her 50's & feeling bleugh!
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »

Hi everyone, my doctor suggested this site to me & im very happy to meet you all!

I'm 52 & very obviously going through the menopause! I had a few problems late 2013 with very heavy & frequent periods but I had been blasé about having regular smears & ended up having a couple of smallish procedures. My last follow up smear in April was clear, thank goodness 😄

I had a period in January of this year then it just stopped & apart from a few hot flushes I didn't feel too bad. Then on 1st may I had a period from hell & this has continued twice a month since then. I'm suffering with debilitating anxiety which almost gets to the panic attack stage! I also have frequent headaches, foggy confusion, stomach & back pain. My self confidence is also at an all time low!

I've had blood tests that have come back clear for thyroid probs etc & I've opted to have a mirena coil fitted to try & help with the bleeding. My doctor has also put me on 20mg a day of citalipram which is going to be reviewed in a couple of months.

All in all its been a rotten few months & im hoping to get some reassurance reading others experiences that I will soon start to feel better 😊

pricey

Re: Newbie in her 50's & feeling bleugh!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »

Hi Mandrose,
I pretty much have all those symptoms too. I'm scheduled to have a mirena fitted in two days (I've cancelled twice before due to reading all the scare stories. I've figured better the devil I know despite the debilitating anaemia). However, I've been having palpitations, tachycardia, anxiety, all made worse by anaemia and my Dr is urging me to give this a go. I feel I've become a different person this past month and panic attacks are making life difficult. I have a dental appointment this week too which I've also kept postponing because I'm scared I will have a panic attack and make a fool of myself. One doctor I spoke to was talking about anxiety meds but I know this is hormonal and I want to avoid them at all costs. This week feels overwhelming: two appointments that I'd normally take in my stride. The only thing stopping me from cancelling the dentist again is fear of looking an even bigger fool. I just want the old me back!

SadLynda

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »

Hi Mandrose
Panic Attacks, anxiety and all the rest of it here too.  I am 49 and been going through this for sometime, only just been to see nurse and had bloods done, first doc appointment on Wednesday.  Your doctor sounds great pointing you here for help.

Pricey, I suspect to be given something for the anxiety first this coming week and I cant wait, I never wanted pills either, but I want me back and I dont want to feel like this anymore.  So, whatever they offer I am more than willing to try now.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »

Hi Mandrose1

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your bleeding and again another example of a doctor prescribing Citalopram for menopausal symptoms! It is clear from your post that you are peri-menopausal (periods coming and going and gaps between them). Your hormones are fluctuating and oestrogen eventually dropping, you are probably having cycles without progesterone leading to build up of womb lining - and then giving the heavy bleeds. No wonder you feel rough! The Mirena will cope with the bleeding but not the other symptoms.

There is a great article here by Dr Currie ( who founded this site) about the peri-menopause which tells you what's going on in your body here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

New NICE guidelines will advise doctors not to give out ADs like Citalopram as first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes.

Pricey - this applies to you too! Are you taking anything for the anaemia? Eat plenty of iron rich foods and in the short term I presume you are boosting your levels with a suitable tonic? I use Floradix herbal iron tonic (now and again) which is very gentle on the stomach.

Both of you do have a think about HRT rather than the ADs, or at least as the primary treatment as you enter this next stage in your life - and please do ask if there is anything else you need help with!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »

:welcomemm:

browse the pull-down menus top of screen ……… make notes, ask away!

Mandrose1

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »

Thank you all for your kind replies & reassurances. I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to come back & reply - life is very hectic at the moment, leaving me exhausted!

Ive now missed a period although the symptoms are all there and pretty unbearable. The anxiety seemed to improve a bit but is back with a vengeance. Work is very busy and I felt like my eyes were spinning in my head today as didn't know what to do first - I ended up shaking like a leaf & having to try and stop a full blown panic attack. I'm seeing the doctor for a check up tomorrow, so will speak to her about what happened. I still haven't booked in to have the coil fitted as not sure whether I should is my periods are going to die off again!

Let's hope we have a late summer as I'm sure a bit of sun will do us all good  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »

It's OK to be taking Citalopram.  It can ease anxiety symptoms and lift depression.  But it needs to be taken for 5/6 months to really get benefit.

For acute anxiety attacks a GP can prescribe an emergency drug, i.e. Valium; on an 'as necessary' basis. [see my thread here somewhere  ::) ]

Let us know how you get on!

Mandrose1

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »

My doctor appointment was interesting! For some reason I got myself in a state about going, which in hindsight was a good thing! Anxiety was 100% & I was shaking and sweating. I'm now seeing a new doctor as my original one has left & I think the new one is far more understanding.
She said I was definitely perimenapausal & was reassuring that the symptoms I'm displaying are very common. I'm going ahead with the coil & having it fitted on 22/9, as she thinks I will definitely bleed again & it's likely to be very heavy. She's also put me on beta blockers to stop the shaking etc but I can take them only if needed, that makes me feel better as if I'm having a good day I won't be popping unnecessary pills!
She's going to see me every month & will add in HRT if/when necessary & she was very positive she would get me back to my old self! Fingers crossed it's not too long!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »

It sounds as if you have got a good GP there - someone who listens. Here's to feeling better really soon!!

Taz x  :foryou:

HelenS

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »

Hi Mandrose
I'm new to the forum as well and I've just started having the same problems you describe.  Scanty periods, then a period from hell!  My get up and go has got up and went, I lack the confidence I used to have and feel nervous about doing things I would never a second thought to doing.  I can fly off the handle at the slightest thing, but really trying to control this and walk away from these situations when they occur. Sleep problems, poor concentration, I could go on! I was given Tranexamic for my heavy bleeding and was offered the coil, but not sure I want that or even HRT, you read so many scare stories these days. Not sure if this helps, but its nice to know your're not alone.  We'll all get through this together  :)

Mandrose1

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »

HelenS, you're description is almost identical to how I'm feeling! I've taken 1 beta blocker yesterday & today when I could feel that bubble of panic rising, I'm pretty sure they have worked. I've hesitated over having the coil fitted but after not having a bleed for a month (I was having 2 a month from May to August) I've decided to go for it as I've got constant cramps in my stomach & back. I'm also getting severe headaches which I started to get about a year ago leading up to my period. I'm actually stressing as I know,when it comes it's going to be horrendous, never good when your at work & can be very embarrassing. I'm really impressed with my GP,  she was so understanding & reassuring and I really think she will chip away until life is bearable again! I haven't read anything bad about the coil but maybe I'm just closing my eyes to it as at the moment I'm desperate to give anything a chance to try & get the normal fun loving person back!
I'm pretty sure people think I'm a bit gaga at the mo & I suppose I am, lol  ;D

I'm sorry you are feeling so rough too but at least we are not alone & there have been some really kind, reassuring comments on my post so I know we are going to get some great support  :)