Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: The Linden Method to manage anxiety  (Read 2704 times)

groundhog

The Linden Method to manage anxiety
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »

Hello all,
As you may know I am a terrible anxious person and this year it's been on the scale ( thanks to life and meno plus having ovaries removed possibly ).  I'm trying to get to grips with it and stump,ed across this online,  I had a consultation this morning on the phone and she spoke a lot of sense but nothing we don't already know - it's not what happens to us it's how we deal with it blah blah. 
The 'course' is about £130 - reviews are mixed - anyone heard of it and any thoughts please ?

dahliagirl

Re: The Linden Method to manage anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »

No - not heard of this but have been looking at mickel therapy and lightning therapy which a friend used for ME (the theory being that your hypothalamus is encouraging overproduction of adrenaline)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »

How about browsing the bookshelves in your local store Groundhog before paying out for a 'course' that may/not work?  There are plenty of self-help books there also in Charity shops.  Or ask your GP for CBT which is probably a similar method. 

Relaxation therapy can be taught but requires practice.  Making a list of things to do 2-morrow and ticking them off each day gave me a sense of being control and showed me what I *had* achieved.  Anything not done went onto the next list.

Some people are able to sit through anxiety surges but I can't  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »

If you put this into the blue search box then there has been quite a lot written about it before.

If I recall SilverLady was knowledgable about this so you will find it in her posts.

I have had a look and there is quite a lot of information there.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »

Alternative therapies scare me as I know a lady who went down this route and ended up with a total breakdown as all the theories messed with her mind and made everything worse.

If they are effective how come they cost so much money, surely the medical profession would be using them to help people.  There are a lot of charlatans out there ready to prey on desperate people who will do anything to feel better, please be careful.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

There are lots of different 'support' methods on the market.  Some are already used in CBT sessions but there is a waiting list on the NHS. 

I went to an 'alternative therapist' who was an NHS GP who had trained, worked, gone to China for years and learnt acupuncture and homeopathy.  I had 2 private sessions but I was worried when he told me not to drink coffee with the preparation he had sold me  :-\ …….  ???.  I did feel that he listened, he gave me time and appeared knowledgeable about his alternative ideas, however.

Let us know how you get on!

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

I've just invested in the linden method myself ....second hand from Amazon at 30 something quid, still waiting for it coming......I do have faith in his understanding of anxiety and ocd thoughts as I came to the same conclusion myself so hoping it makes a difference.....good luck xxx

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:43:51 PM »

I really don't think listening to a CD or watching a DVD will do any harm to be honest. Obviously it's very difficult to get a one size fits all but if it gives us a greater understanding of what's happening and how to cope then that's great.

I have invested the princely sum of 99p for a Claire Weekes book that I have found incredibly helpful. She really explains what happens and why and how to cope with things. I know some people find her old fashioned but when I'm having a wobble I have a read and calm down as I understand why and also what to do.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »

I agree Honeybun.  It's about taking time out for ourselves too, 'me' time  ;)

Trouble with doing relaxation therapy I had to find time to practice  ::)

lyn

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »

I can relate to CLKD's experience with the alternative medicine. I went to a doctor of traditional Chinese medicine and he told me I was poisoning my body and abusing it with 2 cups of decaf coffee a day! As I hardly ever drink alcohol, gave up cigs years ago and eat healthy food I thought this was an over reaction! However....22 years ago when I had a similar emotional crash after my hysterectomy, I saw a naturopath who gave me a herbal mixture which cured me in weeks! Unfortunately, this time around, nothing seems to be working and I saw a highly recommended naturopath who has helped many women! Unfortunately the one I saw 22 years ago died.
I think you are  a terrific group of strong women and thank you so much for the support and kind words you've given me.
I was started on seroquel 1/4 of a 25mg tablet  (yes, a very minute dose, but I am extremely sensitive to medication) and oestradot patches twice weekly. Can anyone tell me how you keep the patch on for several days without it coming off in the shower??
My doctor told me to stop seeing the psychologist as she wasn't telling me anything I did not know already (I already meditate and do belly breathing and tai chi). As someone in another topic said, these relaxation techniques are no match for anxiety caused by hormones. They are still excellent in other situations, I think.
There seems to be no "one size fits all" when it comes to managing the menopause and all its challenges. I am just thankful for the support.