Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: new and struggling  (Read 1551 times)

soozie

new and struggling
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »

Hi

I am 54 and was on Ellestte for 5 years from age of 49. I was put on it because I had a weird trembling/ shaking problem that was frankly frightening me to death. I have suffered from a  cancer phobia for many years  for which I have been treated with CBT but the menopause has been a nightmare. The Ellesste seemed to sort the problem and I was fine on it. I then decided that having been on it for 5 years I should come off . That turned out to be a big mistake. I had dreadful hot flushes and my mood was very low. My GP suggested Kloivance which I took properly for 2 months and have now been taking every other day for the last 3months. I don't feel good at all. I have a lot of joint pains and the trembling has come back with a vengeance in the last week. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or am I just going mad? Could I be responding to the drop in Kliovance even though I have weaned off gradually? I am really hoping someone can help a little.

Soozie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new and struggling
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »

:welcomemm:  phobias can be grounding - mine (not cancer) made me housebound  :'(

soozie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »

Hi
Thankyou for replying. Yes. They are totally debilitating. Not only for you but for family too.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »

Did the CBT help?  My Psychologist used to ask 'what's the worst than can happen?' ……. I could have hit her  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:34 PM »

Hi soozie

:welcomemm: from me too.

Not sure about the trembling but is the dose in Kliovance the same as you had in the Elleste ie 1 mg, as this comes in two strengths? Also even if they are the same dose (ie 1 mg) and if the original HRT worked and you are now taking it every other day then as you say the reduction in oestrogen could be causing a resurgence of your original symptoms.

There is no need to stop HRT at all after 5 years - that is now old thinking due to the research (on which all the warnings are based) that has now been found to be flawed. General recommendations now are that you can take it as long as you like, provided that you are made aware of the small risks, and Dr Currie (info on this site) reports that between the age of 50 and 60 the benefits and risks of HRT are equal, if you are still experiencing symptoms.

There are several of us on here near or over 60 who have been on HRT some time and still taking it - such as myself who has been on it 8+ years  and now age 62. As you get nearer and over 60 the general advice is to reduce risk, to transfer to patches or gel (with separate progestogen).

I would suggest if the Kliovance suited you otherwise, then go back to your original dose of 1 per day (after discussion with your doc - if s/he advised the reduction), or think of changing over to one of the patches at this point ( eg Evorel or Femseven conti).

Hurdity x