Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: LadyCare Magnet  (Read 31761 times)

Hurdity

Re: LadyCare Magnet
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »

Hi Jiggy3

:welcomemm:

First of all I am very pleased to hear you have been feeling better! As has been said and as you recognise - this could either be conicidence (you might have improved anyway) or the effect of placebo - which - yes - is a powerful effect!

This leads me to take up your other point about HRT. The main way licensed treatments are approved by NHS for their efficacy is through placebo controlled trials. This is especially important for conditions which rely on the patient themselves to rate how they feel - which is the case for some menopausal symptoms such as anxiety, flushes, sweats, etc. Not only that the mind can actually control the body - the true placebo effect.

With HRT it has been independently established through placebo controlled trials - that the treatments do work for significant numbers of women over and above any effect which could be attributed to the placebo. In addition there are a variety of independent physiological measures that can be taken - for example - bone density, acidity of vagina (for Vagifem), etc etc - that don't rely on a woman's opinion.

No amount of personal testimonies can tell you or detremine if a product works! We could have pages of reports on here about the magnet and how it works - but if it is not shown in trials to work then if you are looking for a product to try - then this would not be the one.

When you say better than drugs - I presume you mean anti-depressants or similar? HRT is not in the same category - if you use hormones which are biologically identical to those found in our own body which many of us do - it is simply replacing what has become deficient in a similar way that those with thyroid conditions replace thyroid hormone.

If it worked as in had a regular and repeatable effect shown through properly designed trials - then it would be available on NHS as a very cheap alternative to HRT.

blossom60 - it's nothing to do with being open-minded - medicine is based on the outcome of trials. Anything else falls into the realms of belief.

Anyone who wants to read a straight talking site about magnet therapy in general might like to look at this:
http://www.sillybeliefs.com/magnets.html

Jiggy3 - you made an important point - and I hope your symptoms stay away :)

Hurdity x

blossom60

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

Given the recent bad press about drug companies inadequate/rigged trails, I feel safer with belief thanks.

Jiggy3

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »

well its a good job we are all different, isn't it! just think how boring life would be if we all thought the same! :)
I have horrid reactions to all sorts of 'normal' well tested so called safe drugs (and yes, I may be wrong, but I do see HRT as a drug) I also really understand that scientific folk may see things such as the magnet as intrinsically flawed as they don't have science to back up the claims.
 My partner is a research scientist.....don't think I haven't been told! :D
 However....he has to agree I'm much better.....and sometimes lets me do some tapping (EFT) for him....Not that it works right?, but hell...why not? 
There are likely hundreds of folk on here doing HRT and loving it...and all power to their collective elbow. when you can't or don't want to join that happy band.......its still grand to know there are some of us loonies finding alternative means to cope, even if the science is flawed or unknown. I'm still committed to getting back on line in a while and admitting I was wrong, but so far so good. had 2 mild night sweats in all the time I've been wearing it.....compared to about 30 a night.
Thanks for the input though.....will bear it all in mind!

blossom60

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »

Well done.  Glad you're feeling better today :)

limpy

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

When you say better than drugs - I presume you mean anti-depressants or similar? HRT is not in the same category

Jiggy3 - It's really good that the magnet is working for you - if it works, it works!   :)

Hurdity - Given that HRT is introduced into the body it looks like it IS a drug............   

"A medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body:"
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/drug

Hurdity

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »

Well well Jiggy3 - you're hoping to lead us a merry dance I'm sure - but you can't fool me! Hmmm  ::)  6 posts since January and all about magnets   :o. Something tells me you either work for the company or know what topic is likely to cause controversy and is pushing buttons....

Girls don't get drawn in - we'll only quarrel! So Limpy - I am deliberately not answering your remark directed at me for this reason!!!

Hurdity x  :peace:

limpy

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »

Hurdity - HRT is a drug, what is the problem with that?
It may be the same chemical structure but it's added to the body.

blossom60

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »

You're very suspicious Hurdity. ???

Who's to say what  connections any of us have.

To drug companies, for instance ::)

I'm sure most of us would not try something, based on one person's recommendations, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:47:31 PM by blossom60 »

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »

blossom60 - I think I have reason to be.....  ;)

... and....I'm not playing  :na:

Hurdity x

blossom60

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »

Okay  :P

limpy

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »

Hurdity - HRT is prescribed, it's not something which can just be picked up on the high street.
That is where I am coming from when I say it's a drug.
It it has undergone clinical evaluation, it is a drug.
To suggest otherwise is misleading.
What is the problem with that?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:02:07 PM by Limpy »

blossom60

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2016, 09:07:13 PM »

Well said. :)

blossom60

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 10:28:05 PM »

You've done nothing wrong.  No need to apologise.

Some members post almost exclusively on HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »

Well if you are genuine peri jiggy happy with magnet then it's me who will need to apologise, but there have been and still are members on here who are not who they seem and some have history of deliberately posting about magnets just to cause trouble – hence my understandable suspicion! Whoever you are - stay well :)

Hurdity x

Jiggy3

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 01:08:45 AM »

more apologies for causing a rumpus!
 I'm still just a horse owning chubby person looking for an unbiased opinion....... and (not sure I qualify for being 'peri') certainly being who I am (existential quandaries excepted) then your apology accepted!
magnet still working! yeah!
xx
this evenings thought and wise words are from Eileen Caddy.....

Seek always for the answers within.
Be not influenced by those around you -
by their thoughts or their words
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4