Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Black Cohosh  (Read 9048 times)

debby

Black Cohosh
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »

Hello all. New to forum and have been post meno for about 2 years now. Can anyone recommend black cohosh for hot flushes and also a natural remedy for sleep. Was put on benzodiaezepines 10 years ago, reducing slowly, and suspect some of the hot flushes and sleep issues are connected. My gp thinks that black cohosh may help and is not contraindicated with diazepam. Sleep which has always been bad, is now so much worse. I can't take many things due to being on diazepam. Many thanks.

Taz2

Re: Black Cohosh
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »

Hi debby. Welcome to the forum

This is the info from the drop down menu at the top of the page re Black Cohosh http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/otherpreps.php

You may also get some past posts on this by searching for Black Cohosh in the search box (blue bar top left of the screen)

You have come to the right place!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

SadLynda

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »

Hi Debby, welcome to the forum.

sorry no experience with black stuff but as Taz says search around you might find some who have.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »

Hi debby

:welcomemm: from me too

I took Black Cohosh for 6 months when I was peri-menopausal. As I think I've said on another thread today I thought it worked (on flushes) but I think in retrospect it was actually my own cycle coming and going as my flushes came on when my periods stopped and then disappeared when they re-started. At the time I thought it was due to the Cohosh but when I got seriously into late peri-menopause they stopped working and anyway I understood the advice to be that it is not advisable to take them for longer than 6 months. There will be more info at the link Taz gave you and probably further links from there. If you wanted to you could try it for 6 months but as you are post-menopausal I doubt it will be strong enough to help with your flushes. I ended up taking HRT and have been on it ever since, more or less ( 8 + years!).

I haven't heard about it as a remedy for sleep. There are all sorts of natural ways to try to help with sleep - I'm sure you've already researched these! Lots of info on the web eg http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-tools-tips/healthy-sleep-tips

Would you consider HRT at this point? You haven't said how old you are but I presume in your 50's?

If we can help any further please do ask.

Hurdity x

debby

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »

Thankyou for all your comments and links. I am 56 and had an hysterectomy (ovaries spared) in 2002. Had a quick read, and looks like I need to stay off the black cohosh. I also have a thyroid problem with some other autoimmune conditions, and I am having trouble increasing the dose of thyroxine. All very confusing, have had chronic anxiety symptoms for last 10 years, which is why they put me on benzos. I think though, this has been a mixture of poorly diagnosed thyroid and  the onset of menopause. Will keep reading your very good site.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »

debby - you may very well benefit from some oestrogen. I believe oestrogen reduces your risk of breast cancer  after having hysterectomy and even a low dose may well give you some symptom relief. Oestrogen can sometimes help with anxiety as well. Worth discussing with your GP - perhaps try a bit of Oestrogel which is one of the easiest ways to use oestrogen as it doesn't go through the liver. I know some women find oestrogen helpful when immune issues are a problem.  DG x

debby

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »

Hello and thankyou. I did use some estrogel at the beginning, which helped the hot flushes, but having read on thyroid forum that it can affect levothyroxine uptake I decided to stop. I haven't found anything safe to take whilst on benzodiazepines, even herbal practitioner was unable to help.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »

Have you tried Clonidine? My friend swears by it. I think it is a blood pressure drug so should be ok with diazepam and your thyroid medicine. It is mentioned in the green menu above under prescribable non-Hrt drugs.

Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »

Hi again

Re the interaction between HRT and levothyroxine - I know there are many women (including some on here) who successfully combine HRT with levoT. The research that I've read indicated that oral oestrogen can affect the levels of thyroxine in the system but this (ie taking levoT) is not a contra-indication for HRT - rather, that you may need to adjust your levels of levo T after starting HRT. You would be able to do this with advice from your doc and presumably by measuring TSH etc soon after starting HRT. As far as I know this effect is not found with transdermal HRT (but if you have found research/information to show otherwise please do let me know!) so you should be fine with oestrogel.

Give the choice of any form of anti-depressants etc (or black cohosh) or oestrogen - I would go for oestrogen any time - because of the health benefits re heart and bones etc, and especially as you've had a hysterectomy and so don't need to take progestogens - which are what causes problems for some women on HRT. Estrogel is bio-identical estradiol to our own hormone and will therefore be more "natural" than any other medication such as ADs.

Hurdity x

debby

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »

Hello and thanks again for replies. Not sure how to reply to individuals so hope it's okay this way.
Will consider Clonidine and Estrogel again. Yes Hurdity, I think you are right about the levo/HRT. I am on healthunlocked forum for advice with thyroid issues. Some have the opinion that HRT is a no no, it's very difficult to make a decision as which way to go. Have heard so much about pros and cons x

dazned

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:28:27 AM »

My friend is on patch form hrt and thyroxine for her thyroid and is having a huge problem to get her thyroid levels correct plus when she does manage to for awhile the goal post moves  :-\
I think it's more trickier for ladies with thyroid problems too ,double whammy ! Do empathize.

debby

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »

Thanks, I am definitely worse since I became post meno. Thyroid and meno so similar in symptoms so very confused.

vonnie

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »

I was advised not to take the black cohash as I had an hysterectomy and severe endometrios-have also read this in several articles that it would not be suitable for me.

debby

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »

Thanks for info vonnie. I don't think it's a viable option, though surprised doc thought it would be ok.