Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Side effects of HRT  (Read 4627 times)

bootsmum

Side effects of HRT
« on: August 15, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »

This is my first post and I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers from prolonged bleeds while taking HRT.
I previously took HRT but came off it as I was bleeding for about three weeks every month. I recently started taking it again and my first bleed started nine days ago! Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so did you find a solution?

:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Side effects of HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »

:welcomemm:  ……….. I don't know about HRT but am sure someone will be along with advice.  We have pull down menus, top of screen, a funny room and lots of support and advice here!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »

bootsmum - welcome to MM
Prolonged bleeding can happen for many reasons.
If you can give us a bit more detail we can possibly support you better.
How old are you? Are you peri or post meno? What HRT are you currently using? Are you using the same HRT as you used last time you were on HRT? Did you have a scan to investigate the bleeding before?  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »

:welcomemm:

Taz x

bootsmum

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »

Thank you for your replies it's great to feel welcomed!
I am 53 and I think post as I haven't has a bleed for over 2 years. I was on climagest and came off it because of the bleeding but recently I have become really stressed and anxious and suffered flushes / night sweats so my GP suggested trying Elleste Duet 1mg. The first copy of weeks were great I felt like a new woman. Then came the green tablets and not so great and now the bleeding......... I'm still not getting flushes but I find the whole bleeding malarkey soooooo depressing it's hard to tell if my mood is any better  :(
By gut instinct is to stop taking the pills and just make the best of thing naturally but common sense tells me to carry on taking them, make an appointment to see my GP and see what he says.
Any advise would be gratefully accepted as I am totalling confused :-\

dazned

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »

Estelle duet is a sequential hrt so you will get a bleed with all sequential ones. Maybe go back to gp and ask about femoston conti which has a much kinder progesterone and also no bleeds . You can have it if bleed free for a year or 54 as you are 53 and said you had no bleeds for two years you will be fine. Hope you get settled soon.

bootsmum

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

Bless you dazned this has made me feel lots better - maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel  :)
I'm going to make that appointment first thing tomorrow morning

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »

dazned is right - you could try a different HRT like Femoston which has  kinder progesterone.  Elleste has synthetic progesterone that can often make women have PMT type symptoms. I would try the sequential version  of Femoston first so you can tell if the progesterone suits you and then move onto the conti version if you are happy with this.  I still wonder why you are getting prolonged bleeds?  I think you might need a scan to check your womb lining as you could have fibroids which might be making you bleed more.
HRT is about finding something that suits you - so very much trial and error. So look under HRT preparations to get clued up and maybe print things off to show the GP.  DG x

bootsmum

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:15:04 AM »

I had scans etc 2 years ago and everything was fine so I'm certain this bleeding is just to do with the pills.
Feeling very bleak this morning - dared to get on the scales and they confirmed I have put on half a stone  :'( I already struggle with my weight because of my underactive thyroid!
Don't think HRT is for me but I'll wait and see what GP says  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »

bootsmum - I wouldn't give in just yet.  It's worth trying other forms of HRT first.  DG x

bootsmum

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »

Can't get to see my GP until 4th Sept so my dilemma now is do i stop taking my current pills or not - what do you think ladies?

Sunnydays

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »

bootsmum are you able to ask your gp for a callback? Mine does them on the day if I can't get booked in or if it's something that requires clarification.
All the info ive read here and elsewhere is that with no periods for 2 years then a continuous regime is offered. I guess it might be a bit strange having no periods for 2 years then suddenly having them. It also takes a little ahe to settle.
All the best

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 03:19:26 PM »

Hi bootsmum

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I wouldn't stop taking the tablets as you won't come to any harm by continuing until 4th Sept even if you don't manage to speak to your GP - and at least your flushes are being controlled - but I agree with Sunnydays. You should be able to discuss a problem like this with a doc by phone without having to visit - at least initially.

I am still a bit unclear as to where you are in menopause. Did you have 2 years completely without periods before you started HRT ie the Climagest? If so yes you were defo post-meno and could have started on a continuous combined HRT ie a no-bleed type as others have said. Even so many women still experience bleeding within the first 6 months even of the no-bleed type - especially as your body (uterus) is getting used to having oestrogen again.

However even though you were given the sequential HRT ie which are expected to give a bleed, I am still surprised like Dancinggirl that your bleeds lasted 3 weeks and perhpas this should be investigated again.

What dose of Climagest were you on? Also how long have you been bleeding this month and when in the cycle did they start - towards the end of the green tablets?

Hurdity x

bootsmum

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »

I'm quite confused myself as to where I am in the menopause!!!!!!
I was taking HRT for about 4 years and was changed on to Climagest (can't remember the dose) which obviously didn't agree with me - my prolonged bleeding was investigated at the time and everything was fine but my GP at that time couldn't seem to offer an alternative so I weaned myself off. That was 2 years ago and I haven't had a bleed since then, until now.
I started taking Elleste Duet 1mg on 7th July and I started bleeding on day 3 of the second pack (13 days ago now!)
Its really getting me down but I do feel better apart from that so I'll carry on until I see my GP.
I'm not very good at all the technical stuff I just want to feel like me again :(

dazned

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »

If you didn't have a bleed for two years when NOT on hrt you are post meno. The bleed you are having now is because of the sequential estelle duet i.e. not a proper period but a bleed.