Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lost my marbles and become unhinged  (Read 22131 times)

Unhinged

Lost my marbles and become unhinged
« on: August 08, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm new here, very first post. I've been putting up with pretty bad meno symptoms for over two years. I have waited this long because I could just about cope (I mean only just) with all the physical stuff, but over the last few weeks I have been floored by anxiety attacks - never experienced any such thing in all my life! Have taken it as a bit of a personal insult really as I am the most level headed unpanickable person I know, so it's knocked me for six! Hence my moniker "Unhinged" because that's what I feel like ha ha!
Doc gave me some beta-blockers, but I am trying HRT first. I do have one question if anyone can help? I started with Femseven Conti 50 patch (am 54 and 4 years postmenopause), trouble is the damn things will not stay on no matter what I do. That's a blow because it was only a few short days and I genuinely started feeling some benefits. Am now trying Femoston Conti ultra low dose - which are making me really sleepy. It's only been a few days, but can anyone tell me if that's the sort of side effect that may disappear in a couple of weeks? And if not, do any of you ultra-experienced ladies have any idea which tablet would be most similar in ingredients to a Femseven conti patch?  No worries if you can't help, I wanted to post to say "Hi" to everyone anyway, my name's Shirley and I'm glad to join after a good few months of silently lurking on this forum - it's already been an enormous help! 

honeybun

Re: Lost my marbles and become unhinged
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »

:welcomemm:

There seems to be a bit of a nack in getting them to stick. Very dry unmoisturised skin. Stick it on and then hold your hand over them for at least a minute. That does the trick I think. I on another patch...Evorel Conti and they stick like whatnot to a blanket  ;D

You can use beta blockers quite happily alongside HRT but I think you are making the right decision in trying them separately as then you know what is working. 

Sorry can't help with the pill equivalent, but would like to say patches are considered to be "safer" as you get older and have less side effects especially digestive ones.

Nice to have you with us.

Honeyb
X

Unhinged

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »

Thanks very much Honeybun, yes I tried holding them for even a couple of minutes or more - I think I must be a greasy type or something! Evorel, yes, that might be one to try, I've read a few of your posts before (recognised your name instantly!) and remember you like Evorel, I was only put off by a few posts where some ladies had said that particular prog in the Evorel caused them problems, but I think I'm going to give them a try - I much prefer the thought of patches as I do have some digestive problems too. 
I will try the BBs if I have to, my anxiety is strange in that I can be perfectly fine for a couple of weeks and then, wham! the anxiety comes out of nowhere, so I didn't really want to take them continuously.
Thanks again for your advice and welcome, I really appreciate it! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »

Maybe Valium on an as-necessary basis would suit you better?  I used it for years in the 1990s, the evening before an event I couldn't get out of and if required, during the day.

Anxiety attacks are dreadfully debilitating.  My first was at age 3  :-\.  I take Betablockas at night as well as having an emergency drug when panic attacks take over.

Have  a browse round  ;)  :welcomemm:

Unhinged

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I did wonder about Valium being more suitable. Like Honeybun, I know your name well - have read loads of your posts re anxiety, and thanks a lot because you have helped me even when you didn't know you had! Yes I agree, debilitating is the right word, when they come I go very strange, like a rabbit caught in the headlights, can't move, speak to anyone or eat, stomach clenches into a tight knot, feel like I'm going totally mad, and can't move! Just sit frozen staring ahead. Even going upstairs to the loo seems impossible. Even when I tell myself it's hormones, it doesn't make any difference, the terror sets in and I can't get out of it. How on earth you coped aged 3 I will never know! Thanks so much for the welcome, and yes, I am going to ask doc about valium as it does seem more appropriate.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:44:18 PM »

:wub:  ……….  :thankyou:

Let us know what your GP thinks about your taking Valium.  Are the Betablockas on an as-necessary basis, I take mine every night. 40mg. 

When I get an adrenaline surge it feels like hot water flowing through my veins  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »

I have Diazapam for the very worse of times. I take rarely but just the thought that they are there can help.

Have you thought about relaxation techniques or mindfulness. They might be helpful when you get an attack.
You will probably have seen me post before about Dr Clair Weekes. She explains very well what is happening to your body and how to cope and accept. When I am having a bad time I read my copy that is next to my bed......it has helped a lot.

Honeyb
X

Unhinged

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:58:43 PM »

I will do re the valium, and yes that's exactly it with the adrenaline rushes - I feel like someone has turned my kettle on, it takes my breath away! I also have a potential other problem in that they found a mass on my adrenal gland - I'm not at all concerned and I doubt it's malignant but they are doing tests to see if it is "active" and influencing my hormone levels; my cortisol is nearly double what it should be, so I seem to have all sorts of hormone trouble not just the meno ones!
But the rushes and surges leave me in a heap - it's almost funny in that it's so ridiculous the amount of stuff we've all got going on!
But, I can cope with any of the physical stuff as bad as it is sometimes, it's the anxiety I can't cope with; sometimes it turns very dark, dredging up memories from the past and it exaggerates them to be even worse than they were. I can't believe that my own mind and body is trying to sabotage me!
Re the BBs, he prescribed me 40mg twice a day, but I asked him if I could take them as needed and he agreed. But I still think you're right in that valium would suit the circumstances better.

Unhinged

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:03:01 PM »

Honeybun, is Diazepam similar to valium? (sorry if it's a daft question, am new to all this type of drug). But it's funny that you say that, since I've had the BBs I do feel  a sort of comfort in knowing they're there even though I've never taken one.
No I hadn't seen that about Dr Weekes, I've written it down and will find out. It can be really usefeul to know what's happening when it's happening so I might be able to ride through them a bit better.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »

Same drug ……… different name  ::)

Unhinged

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »

Ah ha! Diazepam and valium the same - now I'm learning stuff! Thankyou very much both of you!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »

You're welcome!  Why do Drug Companies give medications such long names  ;D

Unhinged

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »

Tee hee, yeah, I can barely spell them let alone pronounce them!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »

Imagine taking them down in shorthand  ;D

Unhinged

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »

Ha ha ha, am cracking up, that's blooming funny!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5