Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: B12 and other worries from blood test  (Read 6499 times)

starfish

B12 and other worries from blood test
« on: February 08, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »

Hello all,

I've not been posting much as feeling reasonably ok. However, have been sent for blood tests and having just got results feeling a bit upset - my last set were ok apart from high FSH (which is now even higher at 128.6). Am now deficient in B12 but high in folate, high cholesterol at 7.1, high ALT/SPGPT a liver function test, high eosinophil, low platelet count, high haemoglobin. The notice 'Abnormal - Contact Patient' appears 4 times, and a separate note about the cholesterol. I've managed to get an appointment for a week's time with an unknown lady doctor but of course now feel panicked.

I thought I would be tested for TSH (thyroid) but apparently wasn't. I originally went to the doctor's to ask about HRT as having relentless night sweats, hot flushes and fatigue. The surgery won't prescribe unless I'm officially past menopause but I'm not - last period in November last year. I'm 48.

Sorry for all the info. Just feel really quite upset and not sure who to ask about what. Dr Google offering me rather alarming possibilities...would low B12 contribute to the other 'off' results? (not the cholesterol which I assume is a separate issues). Thanks ever so much for any reassurance at all...

Starfish x

Taz2

Re: B12 and other worries from blood test
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »

Hi starfish - low B12 will also give a low platelet count. I'm not sure about the high haemoglobin. I had a high eosinophil result once but that was due to suffering from eczema at the time. It's a shame that you have to wait a week for some advice but if it was urgent then I would think that you would have been seen sooner?

As for you being told that you can't have HRT until you are post menopause - I'm not sure why you have been told this. Lots of us have started HRT while still having periods so please don't be fobbed off in that respect.

Taz x  :hug:

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »

So sorry you are having to wait so long to discuss this with someone, can you get a telephone consultation earlier??

If you are developing pernicious anaemia ( B12) then this will affect other results as well.

On the cholesterol result - your total reading does not have to be a cause for concern. The main thing is the your ratio of good to bad cholesterol. I have same reading as you but I have loads of good so this means my ratio is good as well.

My cholesterol has always been like this but is due to underactive thryoid as even on medication your cholesterol stays up. checking yoru thyroid function is the first thing a Dr should do if someone has high cholesterol so insist on this at your next appt.

starfish

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »

Thank you ever so much both. Just needed a bit of contact I think. Yes I was surprised no TSH test as I'd mentioned it in the appointment! And also yes, I will have to look for another surgery if I'm still met with a refusal even to consider HRT. Though I'd very much like clarification on all the other 'off' results too. Thanks again. I'll update you when I've seen the doc.

Starfish x

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:38:41 PM »

Hi Starfish - I really don't think you need to be post menopause for GP's to prescribe HRT, they prescribe for symptoms and symptoms are what you have.  Hope that you get a more helpful response from the Dr you are seeing next week.

Were the blood tests to help determine your hormonal status?  Does seem odd they didn't had TSH for thyroid into the tests. I think folate is related to B12.  Can you chat through the results with a phone call to the doctor sooner than a week, it might be the results are just out of range or something minor and you will be worrying un-necessarily.

Hope you feel better soon x

clio

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »

Are you vegetarian??  I had to have B12 jabs every month as it was so low I felt awful.  I hadnt eaten red meat in years which has the most b12 in.  Ive started to eat red meat again and my B12 is fine now. 

Clio

Maryjane

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 06:55:47 AM »

I still have regular 28 day periods I am 49 and on HRT . May have to go private if you have a none up  to date GP .

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »

Marmite is a great source of B12.  I'm a life vegetarian and never been low on B12 as I make a gravy from vegetable water and marmite mixed together with some bisto and flour - really savoury and I find everyone loves it.  No fat and really healthy.  Dg c

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »

Marmite was handed out to every Prisoner of War that survived the Jap camps, a small pot and a packet of cigarettes.  When my Dad was taking certain AD medication he wasn't allowed it, nor bananas, red wine, Bovril, broad beans and cheese could have killed him  :-\

rebecca

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »

I had a blood test 3 years ago that showed my B12 levels low, the doctor suggested I took B12 supplements (which I got in Holland & Barratt). Had a retest and the B12 levels were fine. 
Have take the tablets every day since.
If it had not have been fine the doctor said that I could then be given injections - but no need..Trust you get yours sorted  :)

Rebecca   

robotwars

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »

I have B12 injections every 12 weeks as my body cant hold B12, I hope you get yours sorted, good luck

starfish

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 08:07:20 AM »

Thank you all so much.

The doctor wasn't concerned - just said everything was slightly 'off' and I needed to look after myself better (bit insulting as I already do, and exercise, avoid alcohol etc). I bought myself some supplements, sublingual ones.

She was only concerned about my cholesterol which is, she said 'dangerously high' at 7.1. I asked about my HDL which is good at 2.7 but she said she didn't care about this. Very unkeen to discuss HRT with me, said it increases cancer risk, and better to get meno over with before I was older and less well, and that I would have to come off it after a few years anyway. I mentioned the new NICE guidelines and she waved her hand in disinterest saying 'they change their minds all the time'. Not great!!!

She did send me for a TSH test as requested. After that I'm changing surgeries, even though she was only a locum (and young!).

Strangely, after being so upset and worried last week, I now feel like I don't really care or believe in anything that she said to me, and will just carry on looking after myself as best I can, and find a more sensible Dr to discuss HRT options with. The hot flushes have actually abated a bit for no discernible reason - perhaps my own hormones have risen up to defend me..!

Starfish x

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »

Hello starfish.

I agree that a new surgery may be the way to go and  your new found calm may be your hormones rising to the challenge of an indifferent GP!

I only eat meat once a week and consume very little dairy so I was considering adding a multi vitamin. I've seen one that ticks all the boxes and is designed for the over 50s so that's another reminder that I'm no spring chicken but needs must I suppose!

I hope you get sorted soon and take care.

K.