Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Beta blockers query (again!)  (Read 14458 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Beta blockers query (again!)
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »

Are there several types of BB?  I take Propranolol ……… 20mg at night now.  Head feels thick and slightly achey, am hoping that goes …… due for review next month.

Greenfields

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »

Well this is my second day without 10mg of beta blockers and although I've felt a bit wobbly at times, I don't feel noticeably that different from when I was taking 10mg in terms of general fragility.  My mood hasn't changed that much either ... will see how the rest of this week goes. Propranolol is the only one I've tried so far - didn't know there were others?

Limpy

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »

Well, here're some to be going on with......

Names of beta-blockers
Examples of commonly used beta-blockers include:
acebutolol (Sectral)
atenolol (Tenormin)
bisoprolol (Cardicor, Emcor)
carvedilol
metoprolol (Betaloc, Lopresor)
nadolol (Corgard)
nebivolol (Nebilet)
propranolol (Inderal)
Flecainide

CLKD

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »

:thankyou:

wonder what "lol" means  ;D and why do drugs companies give medication such long names  ::)

Greenfields

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »

4th day without beta blockers - my mind is definitely sharper and I don't wake up feeling overwhelmed or depressed in the way I was.  However, am very aware of an internal tremor type sensation (like my body is quivering inside) at certain times of the day.  It's manageable but it makes me feel a bit wobbly at times.  Am finding I can do things for about half a day - like exercise - and then I need to sit and read or rest.  Yesterday and today I fought the rest bit but my head felt funny and so today I realised that I really had to lie down.  Did a body scan exercise and ended up napping - so I clearly needed it.  It's hard to come to terms with how I am but more and more I am realising I just have to follow my body's cues - I haven't got any choice if I want to get well - which is going to take far longer than I thought.

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2015, 10:44:06 PM »

Listen to your body  :-\ ……… you need to be able to shut off when it requires a rest, when my brain wants to sleep, it sleeps  :o  ;) ……….

Greenfields

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »

So true.  I am finding I can do more though which is nice.  This week I did a volunteer shift at the charity shop, bought and read a newspaper (my first since the breakdown in March) and had the radio on more often ... I think things are getting a bit better even though it's taking a lot of time to get well.  I also got a copy of Matt Haig's new book Reasons to Stay Alive which is about his breakdown - and reading that helped.  Also read a good library book by Dr Tim Cantopher called Depressive Illness, The curse of the strong - which was so helpful in terms of understanding how long it will take me to recover - wish I'd read it sooner.

So those are all good things.  On the not so good side, my arms and shoulders are giving me even more issues with computer use and just general pain since I strained my supraspinatus in one shoulder - things seem even more unstable and painful.  I've stopped doing the physio exercises I was given to strengthen my trapezius since the supraspinatus injury was so painful ... but I know I need to get back into these if I'm ever to get better enough to do some professional work again (assuming someone will employ me) ... but keep reminding myself, it's one day at a time ...

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »

Little steps.  Rome wasn't built in a day  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »

I use mine on an as need basis now.  Last night I had to turn on the light and cut one in half to take 5mg at 2am as I woke with a start, trembling and sweating .  then I found out this morning I have an infection and a temperature so maybe that was why  ::)

Greenfields

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »

I use mine on an as need basis now.  Last night I had to turn on the light and cut one in half to take 5mg at 2am as I woke with a start, trembling and sweating .  then I found out this morning I have an infection and a temperature so maybe that was why  ::)

Yep I plan to do that too. Am seeing the Dr tomorrow for another check in and I am going to discuss this with her. I think having the beta blockers to fall back on is useful for adrenalin surges but it's not something that suits me to take them all the time - they negatively impact my mood too much to be useful in that regard.

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »

I find that I get a headache these days in the morning.  I didn't take any BB for 2 nights and the dull, full headachy feeling has gone.  Medical review coming up so maybe  :-\

Greenfields

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:02 PM »

Saw my Dr - she's happy for me to use the beta blockers when I need to rather than taking them daily - so that's good.
She said I'm doing well especially considering all the stress I'm under.
She wants to see me in a month's time again.
Also told me I may be able to seek work before the year ends.
I let the care agency know that I needed to defer the training course till Oct/Nov - and they were fine about it which is nice.
Am going to try and increase my voluntary work once I've got my flat move done (which takes place next week).  But need to give myself a week or two to adjust again.
Hope your medical review goes okay. xxx

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »

:thankyou:  I was able to book the appt. on line so got the date and time I wanted.  Can't remember when though  ::)  ;D

Greenfields

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »

That's good! xx

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »

I did print off the appt. to put on the magnetic post board to remind me and it's on the calendar!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]