Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Stopped Evorel Patches last Month  (Read 7690 times)

Shazzie

Stopped Evorel Patches last Month
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »

Hi everyone.  Hope you are all doing ok.

I haven't been on for a while as my MS symptoms have been terrible in this humidity so been confined to bed for a while but ba in the real world now.

I removed my Evorel patch on 23rd May as I was interested to see if I still needed it to be honest.  I am 54 and before starting the patches suffering with night sweats and palps during the night for 5 years but these eased off while I was on the patch.  Anyway, all has been good until last night when I woke at 1.30 feeling really hot and the dreaded racing heart was back.  I also had a real urgency to empty my bowel.  Really horrible feeling.

I am not sure if I should stick the patch back on or give it longer.

My GP was keen for me to give it a try without but not sure now what to do.

Does anyone know how long it takes for symptoms to return (if they are going to) once the patch is removed?  I think I will be a bit scared to go to bed tonight.  Not a nice feeling.  :(

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Have a lovely happy day.  :)

Shazzie x

Limpy

Re: Stopped Evorel Patches last Month
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »

Shazzie - I'me sorry your MS is kicking off.
You say you think it's the humidity but it does seem to tie in with you stopping the patch.

I have MS and the reason I started HRT (Evorel conti) was because my MS got really bad when I wasn't using any oestrogen (I'd stopped the pill 6 months prior to that). I was falling over big time, my GP agreed with my reasoning and started me on Evorel.

I can't comment on the return of meno symptoms when stopping the patch because I've never dared to stop it, I quite like having a life, my MS whilst still there, is much more manageable.

If you really really want to stop the patch, perhaps try in winter?
For now, it might be worth putting the patch back on and see what happens with the MS.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:22:13 AM by Limpy »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »

Hi Shazzie - sorry to hear that your MS has flared up and hope that you are feeling better MS-wise now.

When I've stopped HRT before it takes around a month for symptoms to begin to creep back and, in my case, by three months without I have felt that I am back where I was when I first started HRT eight years ago. Not everyone is like this though and my doc did say that for quite a high percentage of women getting through the first three months is key because their symptoms then begin to die down again over the next three to six months.

It sounds as if you may still need HRT but, if you have other reasons for wanting to come off it, then it may be worth persevering. However, if HRT makes you feel better and you are only 54 then I would really weigh up the pros and cons of giving it up especially as you are not feeling so great at the moment. That early morning panicky waking up is horrible.

Taz x  :bighug:

Shazzie

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »

Thanks Limpy and Taz2.  I am so grateful for your replies.  Means a lot.

I have got some patches here so I think I will pop them back on if I feel rubbish again tonight.  I'll give it one more night and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help with this.  I really appreciate it.  :)

Shazzie xx

Greenfields

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »

Did your Dr give you some advice about how to taper off the treatment?  I've read somewhere on this forum of people cutting their patches in half and slowly decreasing the dose (perhaps someone can post on this?).

I've also read that if you stop the HRT abruptly then all the symptoms can come back quite quickly and quite nastily in some cases .... that it's better to taper the treatment off - but I don't know enough about this so perhaps someone else can post more info here for you.

Sending hugs xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »

I've tried both the tapering off over a year way and the stopping abruptly. I didn't really find any difference but at least with tapering you may find that you only need half the dose to get relief from symptoms which may be better than using the full dose.

Taz x