News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OCD  (Read 5758 times)

toffeecushion

OCD
« on: June 17, 2015, 06:49:57 AM »

Does anyone here suffer with OCD?  No offence, but I don't mean 'a bit' OCD or OCD tendancies (sorry but as a sufferer it really annoys me when people say they have these.  OCD is OCD.)  I have found it is getting out of hand again and wondered if it was my hormones affecting it.

Dorothy

Re: OCD
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:19:50 AM »

So sorry, that is a horrible thing to deal with on top of the rest.  I've never been diagnosed, though I think I probably have it.  My cousin certainly does and we share a lot of the same issues, though his were much worse - which is how he came to be diagnosed.  I think it is commonly accepted that any stress is likely to cause an increase in OCD behaviour, so I would be surprised if the menopause didn't affect it in some way as it's not exactly the most stress-free experience ever!

BTW, I don't think people are trying to belittle OCD when they refer to having a 'tendency' or being a 'bit' OCD.  It's probably just that they are on the milder end of the spectrum and don't want to compare themselves with those who are severe.  And I think that many people who refer to themselves laughingly as 'a bit OCD' probably have it but don't realise they do! 

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:14 AM »

Dorothy is right, just as autism has a wide spectrum from severe to high functioning so OCD can vary in its intensity.  Some people are housebound with it, others can function relatively well with their 'quirks' with many levels of it in between.  My OCD is a learned behaviour from my childhood and rears up when I am under stress. 

I am reminded of the story of the toothache and the broken leg - 'I have a toothache and you have a broken leg.  I am in no doubt that your broken leg is more painful and causes you a lot more discomfort than my toothache but that fact doesn't make my toothache hurt any less.'

It is why I dislike the saying 'there is always someone worse off'.  That doesn't help and, to me, that belittles my 'toothache'.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »

On reflection I think I had it. I couldn't leave the house without checking things over & over & over. It was an absolute nightmare. Strangely after I had our daughter, I calmed down heaps. Not sure why. I actually blame my mum as she made me double/triple check everything after her when we went out anywhere.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »

I have never had the label of OCD, but the symptoms I had were put down to clinical depression during my teens. This was in the 60s, before this condition was given it's name. The severity of the symptoms, hand washing, cleaning, checking, ritualistic behaviour which I was always too embarrassed to tell anyone, receded to some extent when I left home and out of the situation that was responsible for my depression. I made a decision at the age of 17 that I wanted a life and rather than fighting it I worked round it. I explained what was going on to friends, who instead of treating me like a freak, shrugged their shoulders and said, "so ?". That was very healing. It's still there in the background. I had to be very careful not to impose my cleaning standards on my children.  You would probably now say I have 'ocd tendencies' now. I have met people with full blown OCD. It is a horrible condition. It is overwhelming and takes over your life.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:40:28 PM »

That resonates with me Ju Ju.  My checking was extreme when I lived at home, as a result of daily fear of displeasing a parent and the consequences.  It got less once I was out of the parental home but resurfaces whenever I am under stress.  I think it is a subconscious coping mechanism when I do not feel in control of my surroundings or situation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »

When stressed I find myself hand washing a lot more.  So I make a list for those times I should wash my hands and tick them off - any more and the list alerts me to 'is this necessary?'  ……. I had OCD around my kitchen when we had visitors, I often tell the tale of late M in L washing up one night when I was in the bath: after I had told her that I would do it in the morning.  Came down the next day to find it done  >:( - but as she had no sink hygiene i.e. would wash raw and cooked boards together, I had to do the WHOLE lot again - using clean cloths and T-towels.  It's a good job she didn't suggest she had helped me  :-X

My kitchen my routine !!!  ::) ……..

Hormones can equal extra stress.  Can you pin point anything in the last 10-14 days that is 'worse'? 

… and don't get me started on 'there are people worse off than you' - well actually, there aren't  :beat:

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »

I know it's not what you wanted  toffeecushion but it would seem there are quite a few of us on the spectrum of OCD. I guess you are on the high end of the scale.
Was there anything specific you wanted to discuss. We might not fully understand if it interferes with daily life but we can empathise.

I am a hygiene freak. Always have been and I have unfortunately influenced my children to be the same.
Mine is kitchen and bathroom hygiene. If you can't eat off it then it needs cleaned again and again.
I'm also a go back and check more than once.

I guess this is mild compared to what you are dealing with.

Is there anything we can do to help you.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »

… and don't get me started on 'there are people worse off than you' - well actually, there aren't  :beat:

How so CLKD?

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:20:02 PM »

There most certainly are Limpy.

I just can't even compare my little problems with what some people have to cope with on a daily basis.

Honeybun
X

GeordieGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:33:46 PM »

I suspect there are a multitude - I probably saw a number of them at the cancer hospital last week.

GG x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »

Unfortunately you probably did GG.

Sometimes it takes something like that to make you count your blessings.

Well it does me. Brings things into very sharp perspective.

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »

You are so right Honeybun. I was talking to a lady today in the charity shop were I work who had lost her son a year ago today to the same cancer(lymphoma) that I was treated for 8 years ago, makes me so grateful for what I have, however bad I feel sometimes.  That's why I post on the three things to be glad about post every few days to remind myself of all the good things in life however dark it seems sometimes. I suppose this is digressing somewhat from the original post. Having OCD in its worst form must be very difficult to cope with and I can only sympathise with those who suffer with this.

Thorntrees

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »

I believe I have mild OCD learned from childhood experience of a parent who definitely had quite strong OCD tendencies. It is always exacerbated by stress, because when I am stressed I feel out of control so desperately need to control something in my life.

I felt quite anxious and low this weekend and convinced that my peri symptoms would be with me until I die. So I rearranged my wardrobe in colour co ordinated/item order. Yes really. And I started doing the same to my children's wardrobes much to their annoyance. Then I started on the kitchen cupboards and threw out loads of stuff (when stressed I tend to throw things away as I find it cleansing).

I then polished all my shoes, even though most were fine. Re-ironed school uniform as I decided it didn't look crisp enough. Just kept up low level activity for about 5 hours solid, to keep the anxiety at bay.

But on 'good' days I am very happy to relax watching TV for hours instead. When I start to feel the real need to tidy, tidy, tidy then I know the anxiety is hovering close.

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:20:40 AM »

I chuckled at GypsyRoseLee's post. This would be me if I didn't get so exhausted! Maybe there is a silver lining to not being able to do all the things I want to do! I have to pace myself and make choices. I choose going out and about above cleaning. When I clean I have to do it 'properly' and find it difficult to give things a 'lick and a promise', so things remain undone until I can. Still DH has learnt to wield the vacumn cleaner between times.
Pages: [1] 2