Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Interesting 'personal experiences' comments on this website ...  (Read 4508 times)

Night_Owl

Just been reading women's comments on this site (on the lower section of each page, 5 pages) - so many of us struggling with this hideous meno crap:

http://www.saga.co.uk/health/body/hot-flushes-what-works.aspx

Interesting that somebody mentions using folic acid to reduce flushes - that's how I got on this site in the first place - researching folic acid/meno - hmmm, wonder if it is effective.  Of course there's always the 'what works for one woman won't work for another'.

This comment, on page 3, had me nodding my head in recognition:

I am 45yrs and been having hot flushes and nights sweats and this has been going for more three months. I cant sleep or do anything without being attacked by this horrible thing ...

Yes, Horrible Thing indeed it is ...

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Interesting 'personal experiences' comments on this website ...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »

It's worth reading nightowl.

Another article said that peri menopause lasts 4 years on average! If that's the case then I'm nearly halfway through. God I hope so!

But, must say I have never had a hot flush! But then my Mum never did either, despite a surgical menopause at 42 and only taking HRT for about 3 months afterwards. Neither did my cousin despite finishing menopause at 29, or my aunt who finished menopause at 38!

I think the women in my family tend to experience the psychological effects e.g. anxiety, low mood, poor sleep etc instead.

Night_Owl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:02:52 PM »

Whenever I come across a whole batch of comments on meno, I feel compelled to read them - after all these years, it still makes me feel that I'm not alone in all this. 

Also a reminder of so many women out there trying to cope without sufficient medical support.

GRL - amazing that you (and other family members) have never had a hot flush, long may it continue.  [I get the flushes/sweats and the psycho/emotional stuff too, serotonin levels affected.]

This comment on page 1 - gulp!

"I am 77 and for the past 2-3 years keep having awful hot flushes I did not have many when going thru my change. Have tried Bach and Sage but I just seem to get worse it is so embarassing have asked Dr. and he laughed and said you are going thru your menapause. HAHA HELP"

jeez.  77 ...

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

Whenever I come across a whole batch of comments on meno, I feel compelled to read them - after all these years, it still makes me feel that I'm not alone in all this. 

Also a reminder of so many women out there trying to cope without sufficient medical support.

GRL - amazing that you (and other family members) have never had a hot flush, long may it continue.  [I get the flushes/sweats and the psycho/emotional stuff too, serotonin levels affected.]

This comment on page 1 - gulp!

"I am 77 and for the past 2-3 years keep having awful hot flushes I did not have many when going thru my change. Have tried Bach and Sage but I just seem to get worse it is so embarassing have asked Dr. and he laughed and said you are going thru your menapause. HAHA HELP"

jeez.  77 ...

I get hot flushes but not night sweats particularly. Don't know why this is.

jayneaddo

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »

Hi

I also don't get hot flushes just all the psychological stuff. Neither did my mum or my gran. How strange. I have also never vomited in my life ever and I am 52.

Aren't we all individual and strange

Jayne

Night_Owl

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »

Yep, definitely, that's the thing: we're all so individual and varying.

Wow, that is amazing and intriguing that you have never vomited in your life, Jayneaddo.  Do you ever feel you need to throw up and it just doesn't happen? 

Just last week I raised the subject of individual experience of meno (again) at clinic appointment - it was explained (again) that each woman will have a different experience and that they often see women in their 70s/80s with continuing symptoms (gulp).  When will it stop and settle, I've had enough now after 9 years (so has OH), I asked - was told there is no answer, time will tell.  Low estrogen is forever so there is no going back to pre-meno/ovulating type self.  Low/fluctuating levels of estrogen have such an impact on the nervous system / neurotransmitters / estrogen receptors in the brain - and the effect/duration/settling time will be different in all cases, depending on many determining individual factors.

In my group of friends/acquaintances, I seem to be the only one who has had such a bad (and continuing) meno - they have carried on life/work as normal - shouldn't be envious, but I am!

With regard to HRT/alternatives etc, what works for one won't work for another - and what works at one stage won't continue to be effective - so it's all about experimenting.

We're all shapes and sizes, weights and heights, good genes and bad genes, all different but nevertheless still all *women*, same species with the same body layout/composition - how can nature make us so variable.

The individual meno experience is all a big mystery isn't it. 

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »

I keep thinking I am SO happy I came across this site... Before I would have heard of periods stopping and hot flushes - that was about it. Little did I know that there were so many more symptoms that one can experience in peri/menopause! I also appreciate this site for its welcoming, warm and friendly members :). I dare to explain my problems in detail (even if I feel the need to apologize for TMI quite a lot ;) ) here and people respond in extremely helpful and caring ways.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »

jayne it's not often I read that someone else is only suffering with the pyschological issues of the peri menopause rather than the physical. Were your Mum and Grandma the same?

The women in my family all tend towards being quite extrovert and lots of fun, but there's no denying we're all quite highly strung, so assume that hormonal changes just really amplify this?