Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: alchohol and sleep  (Read 8049 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: alchohol and sleep
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »

If you take a sleeping pill around 8.00 you may drop off to sleep in the chair - but it will be good quality sleep! because your body/brain are ready for it. Or have a nice warm bath, tuck into bed and swallow the pill.  3 nights should break your pattern.  Worked for me and I never got addicted  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »

Zoplicone (sp) and although I'm not sure of the dose....I can look tomorrow if you want. I'm pretty sure it's the lowest available.
Mum takes one every night. The GP was reluctant to give her them on a repeat prescription due to them becoming addictive.  We pointed out she was 92   ::) so what was the harm. GP laughed and agreed.
Sis finds if she takes them for just a few nights it resets her sleep pattern and then she sleeps naturally quite well for weeks.
She says she gets into a bad routine and needs something to reset the bad pattern. She is not menopausal though...very long story short...she hadn't had a menopause due to a brain tumour.

Honeybun
X

dazned

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »

Try soaking in a bath with Epsom salts before bedtime,it really relaxes all your muscles and helps relieve anxiety..
My insomnia was horrendous ,one of my worst meno symptoms,now take a low dose AD for anxiety and insomnia works well for me.

dazned

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 06:56:48 PM »

My nephews partner uses Zopiclone as she is a nurse in ITS unit doing strange shifts through the week and needs to sleep properly. She gave me some and then doctor prescribed them for me short term. I have a stash of them  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »

I remember years ago my mother took Mogadon. They were really strong. She has taken sleeping pills off and on most of her life. At one point she was taking codeine. Trying to wean her off that was a nightmare. We couldn't figure out why she was so unwell....hubby made the connection so we weaned her off very very slowly.

I have never taken sleeping pills. I'm a warm milk and honey girl.....and I hate it but it seems to do the trick.

Honeybun
X

dazned

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »

Zopiclone is one of the new sleeping tablets ,it's start dose is 7.5 mg ,no awful grogginess on waking either. I never had a problem stopping them . Desperation drove me to them ,don't use them now but I would use again if required.

kerrieann

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »

thanks all zopiclone is the 1 i have, will check the dose when i go upstairs.

kerrieann

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 09:09:33 PM »

dazned, which ad do you take at what dose, where there side effects at the start ?

Mrs January

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »

Hi Kerriann

Don't forget good ole 'sleep hygiene ' may do the trick......what do I mean?

darkened room
not too hot or too cold
Soft bedding/clothing.
Does that partner snore etc.
I use lavender on my pillow, but you can put it in base oil and rub into the soles of your feet, absorbed that way too.
Relaxation/meditation exercises
Avoid caffeine ...I only drink green tea and water.

Look at what is happening in life around you , kids, work etc etc.

Go steady Mrs January
xx

dazned

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 07:41:26 AM »

Hi Kerriann, I use 15mg mirtazapine, for me it stopped all the anxiety,palps,etc by day one ! Also I slept well straightaway. There was a settling in period of about 10 days which took the form of extreme tiredness during the daytime but each day it got less,so by day 10 it was fine. As I d been so bad with anxiety,palps,etc for so long this didn't unduly bother me it was a welcome relief ! All people will be different though but it worked for me and as gp will not perscribe sleeping tablets long term this sorted out 2 issues for me anxiety and insomnia.

kerrieann

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »

thanks for the replies, another rubbish night  :(   taz2, the zopiclone the gp gave me is 3.75g

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »

Insonmia can be dreadful.  Tossing. Turning.  Feeling hung over the next day ……

Instead of thinking about falling to sleep try listening to soft music ….. I had years of not sleeping properly due to a busy involved job one night I thought "Oh I'm awake again, but I haven't died yet!" and promptly went back to sleep  ::).  After I managed to sleep most nights though after DH retired I slept even better - no alarm clock to listen out for  ;)

dazned

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »

3.75 its very low try it a couple of times I'm sure you will be fine ,you won't be addicted on a few  ;)

It might just give you some much needed rest. Let us know how you go.

kerrieann

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »

clkd, did i read that you took citalopram ?  i have them in the cupboard was afraid to take them as it says you may feel worse for the first 2 weeks and i feel so low and anxious already, dont want to risk feeling worse  :(  OH half thinks the depression and anxiety is down to lack of sleep but iam not sure,  how did you feel when i first started taking them ?

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »

I have taken various ADs over the years.  Most packets tell the patient that it takes 10-14 days before the medication kicks in, well those that I found useful made me feel better within 2-3 days.  It did take 3/4 months before I realised that I was actually coping and not as depressed.  Citalopram currently suits.  I take 5mg at night and 5mg at breakfast.

Prozac made me furious  :cuss: all the while  ::) - some made me queasy so I had to stop taking them.  You may find that they help you sleep better but you need to take them for at least 4 weeks so that the brain gets the support.  Some ADs help anxiety too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3