Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Trigeminal neuralgia info.  (Read 3607 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Trigeminal neuralgia info.
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »

Trigenimal neuralgia is only in the face.  It's the nerve which runs from the brain into that part of the sinus area and is due to the nerve being trapped by a vein which as it pulsates it squashes the nerve.  OUCH!  There are other nerves which probably have long names but neuralgia is specific. 

My Aunt had 2 operations in order to cut the vein which was squashing the nerve causing the acute, sudden, intense pain …….. the Consultant put an injection into the area first to see how long the effect would last and as it was long enough, he went ahead with the operation (from behind the skull so she was face down during surgery).  She had it twice: first time she had no symptoms for 12 years so the Consultant said he would repeat the procedure.

I get pains in the top of my head too, enough to make me yelp - so embarrassing in public  :-\ and deep in my ear …… sudden, sharp with the 'ouch' effect.  Gone as soon as it happens but oh so painful.

More info here: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Trigeminal-neuralgia
and from the TN site -

interestingly, since I had the condition in the 1990s it is now found that the nerve branches into 3 places across the front of the head, sinus area and into the jaw.  The pain affected the bone under the left eye socket and the area felt bruised for months after the last attack.  3 years ago after dental treatment it started again  :-\ …..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:43:24 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

Re: Trigeminal neuralgia info.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

You have my sympathy. My friend has this and the pain kept coming and going, so she was unable to sleep much. She has got it under control at the moment with medication.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »

GP gave me amitriptylene which did absolutely zilch.  Fortunately the sudden strikes of pain went as they arrived.  It happened when I was walking the dog across fields, I would hit the floor  :o ……… no rhyme nor reason to the attacks.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »

The doctors were brilliant for my friend and diagnosed what was wrong straight away. I think she has to take drugs that are usually used for epilepsy. She says she has been fine recently.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »

That's the 1.  Supposedly stops spasms.  Didn't work for my attacks ……..

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »

Mine affected right side of my face, behind right eye & top right side of head. I was treated with amitriptyline & gabapentin. Osteopath who I was seeing at the time for my back, was horrified at the meds I'd been prescribed without being seen by neurologist. GP phoned neurologist & was told to give me those drugs. I accepted what he said, well he is supposed to be the professional. Said neurology would just have given same meds.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:54:42 PM »

I get glosso pharyngeal neuralgia that causes similar pain to trigeminal as its in the cheek but it also causes me to burp and at the end of the burp the pain goes away ::)  Thankfully I have only had  a few attacks lasting a few days at a time and the pain was bearable unlike trigeminal pain. 

OF course me being me this is rather rare type of neuralgia!

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »

Was just going to say I'd never heard of that one. Mine was always worst at night, maybe because I was too busy during the day to notice it as much. But oh boy, at night, it was really sore.