Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Implanted ecg  (Read 1799 times)

countrybumpkin

Implanted ecg
« on: May 30, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »

I am due to have one put in soon :o  I always experienced ectopic heartbeats badly since I was in my 20's and they had been seen on numerous ecg's and known to be harmless and I was living with them okay but 4 years ago in the thows of peri meno ( I am now 2 yrs post) I suddenly one day felt my heart beating all over the place like a mad flutter and I went very faint, it all was over in 15 seconds but seriously scary.  I know get these episodes on and off but can go months without them. I have had loads of 24 hr ecgs and one 3 day one but never had a really bad attack when being monitered only little ones which might or might not be the same. 
I saw a neurocardiologist a few weeks ago and he said the only way of finding out if these attacks are serious or not is to have an ecg implanted in my upper chest ( its the size of two matchsticks) and this can stay there for up to 3 years :o he said there was up to 6 months wait for it but today I got appt next week for pre assessment which means it will be much sooner than I thought.
I have worlds worst white coat syndrome and even the pre assessment including swabs and bloods is freaking me!
One hand really happy that at some point these attacks will be caught on ecg and I will know for sure that they are but also worried its something that will need treatment.  Cardio said the good thing is that in 4 years I haven't actually keeled over and I am still alive so probably not seriously harmful ::)

dazned

Re: Implanted ecg
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »

Hi Countrybumpkin,
Sorry I can't help re your forthcoming procedure,but Im sure you will be fine.

On a lighter note to give you a smile I nearly had a skipped heartbeat when I read your topic as you having an EGG implanted !  ;D
My reading is getting terrible ! :whist:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

I read it as 'egg' too  ;D

Is it 'connected' to a monitor at the Hospital to see if there are ups and downs?

dazned

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »

There's not much hope for us two !  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »

…. and that's with my reading glasses *on*  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »

Countrybumpkin - the implanted ECG has to be the way to go.

My OH had had significant problems with palpitations last year.
There were always problems with getting those episodes documented on EBG (even when he'd been in A&E or ambulances) The 12, 24, 36 hour monitors NEVER recorded anything.

OH subsequently had an ablation which helped sort the palpitations out.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »

I read it as 'egg' too  ;D

Is it 'connected' to a monitor at the Hospital to see if there are ups and downs?

;D ;D Maybe I should have put that bit in capitols.

I asked cardio how it worked and he said if you have an attack you can save that days recording and then it gets sent via mobile signal to the hospital so he can see it.  He said I had an external bit of kit that controls the implanted bit when needed.   I also get some documentation for airports etc but as I have never flown it won't be needed :)

I asked if it would be removed when I had had the sort of attack they haven't caught yet and he said not necessarily if they find something that needs treatment like ablation so they know if the treatment has been sucessful. 

About 5 years ago I was sitting in hospital waiting room with a lady who ahd one of the older ecg's implanted which were size of a matchbox and she said her kept making a bid for freedom out of her chest as her body was rejecting it :o :o and they had to keep re implanting it - ye gods hope the new ones don't have that problem!