Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slight indigestion and lumpy throat  (Read 9029 times)

honeybun

Slight indigestion and lumpy throat
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »

I just can't get this to settle.

I have started to cut out so many foods to try and get some relief. It's not that painful, just uncomfortable. The throat feeling is the worse, I'm constantly clearing my throat although my throat is not sore.

I'm on Lansoprazole at the moment. I tried Nexium but that made things worse if that's possible.

I'm starting to get a bit worried to be honest as although I've had this before it's never lasted quite so long.

I'm thoroughly fed up.

Any one got any ideas of what might help or do I just have to accept this is the way things are going to be and learn to live with it.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

Re: Slight indigestion and lumpy throat
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »

Hi Honeybun - it seems as if what you are experiencing is typical of gastric reflux to be honest. Not sure what to suggest though. Would you reconsider having further tests to make sure that you are on the right medication? It could be that you have developed a little scar tissue which is causing the uncomfy feeling?

Taz x

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »

hi hb, i have been on and off ppi for around 20 years  :(  tried all of them,  i dont often get the stomach pain just the acid  reflux, which causes a feeling of lumpy throat, a drip down the back of my throat causing me to cough and clear my throat constantly, even gets into my nose, horrible.  In february i went to doc because it was bad even though i was taking a ppi, so he doubled the dose and i have never felt so awful, so i stopped them altogether and after a few weeks it seems to have cleared up, i just take  gaviscon advance when i need it.  I have to say that it was in February that i started with this horrible anxiety and not being able to sleep so i feel its connected, iam still having horrible anxiety and very low moods but at least the reflux has settled.  I know how you feel because it is horrible and makes you feel miserable, when you say to people its acid reflux it doesnt sound much, but in reality it is   kerrie 

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »

Thanks Taz and kerrieann

Yes Taz, if it doesn't clear soon I will go back to my doctor and brave another endoscopy. The thought terrifies me but I need to know I guess.

When you say acid reflux it doesn't sound like much but boy it's uncomfortable. I'm also tempted to come off everything. That's what I did years ago and it worked with the help of herbal stuff. Thing is I'm going on holiday soon and I don't want things to get worse before they get better if you know what I mean but I may well just try that when my holiday is past.

It's funny, I feel well, my appetite is good but I have this. It also feels better after meals and worse before. Can't figure that one out at all.

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »

hb, please dont be scared of the endoscopy, i put it off for 5 years through being terrified until my partner begged me to go, so i did, 9 months ago and they found nothing more than a small hiatus hernia, which did not need treatment
i completely understand your fear, we have stomach cancer in the family so i was petrified, i was shaking uncontrollably when i went in, i had the spray and boy did i feel stupid when it was all over in just a few minutes and didnt feel a thing, so please dont be scared and you never know it may put your mind at ease. 
As for it getting better when you eat, iam exactly the same and found myself snacking through the day, as the symptoms went away for a while.   kerrie

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »

Thanks kerrieann. I have had one done before but that was in the days before anxiety. Life was easier then.
Like you I have had stomach problems for more years than I care to remember. Really since my daughter was born and she is 21 this year. They never found anything wrong then and I also had a barium swallow which was horrible.
I know how it goes....I went for sedation though.

I might just have to have it done again, but I will get my holiday over first. It's the first time in years that we are going as a family...my kids are 26 and 20 and they decided to come with us. Not got a clue why as we are going to a little fishing village in Dumfries and Galloway. Anyway I'm looking forward to it so will put off the almost inevitable forcacwee while yet.  ::)

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »

i know what you mean with the anxiety, iam new to it, but iam finding it quite unbelievable at times, my stomach churns and i feel terrified, about what i just dont know, i have been to docs and have tried 2 anti depressants but never again, i suffered worse than ever, they are not for me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »

If you feel 'better' after eating maybe you are having too long gaps between meals.  Have you tried 'little and often'?  A dry biscuit, dried fruits and nuts - to keep the acid in the gut 'working'? 

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »

Think I need to try that CLKD but my weight will rocket. Hey ho just got to keep trying different things. Off for a cuppa and a biscuit....I never eat biscuits.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »

Your weight won't rocket because you need a small amount to keep the juices working.  If the gut is empty it gurgles and works with nowt to digest.  If you pop something into the mix then it can ease that reflux.  I find if I take my evening meds then go to bed straight away the reflux is awful. 

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »

Have you ever been tested for H.Pylori honeyb? Just wondered as the discomfort from duodenal ulcers eases when you eat something as it gives the acid something to work on rather than your poor duodenum. Just a thought.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »

Not for a few years Taz. I did the breath test. It was clear but I guess it's a possibility. They may well want to test me again. You have to go two weeks off any pills which is a bit of a b***r.

I don't have any stomach pain though.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 09:16:45 PM »

How about stopping all gastro products?  How about LIVE yoghurt on a regular basis?

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »

Also - I have allergic rhinitis which at this time of year: oil seed rape and willow pollen currently: makes me swallow all the while and I have a runny nose.  Stands to reason when laying down that the symptoms get worse …… how about Beconase nasal spray as a trial?

I have a low grade cough and keep clearing my throat in the day time.  Actimel?

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »

I've just bought Gaviscon Advance. Hopefully that might help a bit.

I would love to stop the pills CLKD but I'm a bit wary that I will do more harm than good at the moment. I take a good probiotic everyday.

The acidic feeling is much better but the lumpy feeling is still there. It's not easy to ignore but I'm doing my best. It's just uncomfortable and then of course my mind starts to race and I imagine all sorts are wrong with me and they are of course serious.

Oh I do hope it settles soon as its pulling me down and I never seem to stop thinking about it.

Honeybun
X
Pages: [1] 2