Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vit C.  (Read 2790 times)

Cassie

Vit C.
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »

Morning ladies, anyone know what the recommended dosage of Vit C is daily? I am taking it @ the mo as my daughter has had the most awful cold/flu and I really do not want to be catching it, so have dipped into the Vits, 300mg, does that sound correct?
Thx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vit C.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »

Marmite stops colds too  ;) - on hot toast for breakfast.  As for Vit.C ......... I think that the Jury is still out  ???

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »

Seems as if we've been trying to prevent colds and shorten their symptoms for ages. Found this online https://www.rpharms.com/museum-pdfs/b-commoncold.pdf  Marmite comes under Old Wives Tales CLKD but that also includes drinking TCP mixed with water...yuk!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »

So it might but it worked for DH.  For some reason he then stopped eating it and hey ho!  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »

My mum used to make me take Vit C tabs daily & I still caught stinkers of colds!  :-\

GeordieGirl

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »

Vitamin C can have significant benefits for our immune system and with few side effects for too high a dose. It won't necessarily stop you catching a cold but many research studies show it reduces the length and severity of these. Naturopaths often recommend doses of 3000mg to 10,000mg per day.

Very high doses of Vitamin C have been found to help battle cancer. Whilst conventional medicine (and a pharmaceutical industry with a billion pound turnover from cancer drugs) scoff at this, the research and findings were made by the eminent scientist Linus Pauling,  one of only two people to ever win a Nobel Prize in two separate areas (the other was Marie Curie).  I'm taking very high doses to boost my system at the moment (up to 15,000mg)

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:41 PM »

GeordieGirl - was waiting for this one to be mentioned.  Probably what you don't want to hear  ::).  That was the thought in the 1970s but has been dis-countered since  ;) - DH being a research chemist has been watching this 'story' with interest.

Whilst VitC. won't do any harm as the body excretes any it doesn't use, there is no evidence that it can aid in the battle against cancer/s.  Somehwere I have a copy of the original Paper ……. somewhere in all the rubbish that I kept 'just in case'  :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:28:16 PM by CLKD »

BrightLight

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »

1000mg a day minimum for benefit - if it's too much you will get loose stools.

"Research has shown that vitamin C is important for immune function and also aids in the manufacture of collagen, which is crucial for bone and skin health.  Vitamin C is also involved in glucose metabolism so helps with blood sugar balance.

Research has also shown that people who have good levels of vitamin C  burn 30% more fat when doing moderate exercise than those who have low levels. It is thought that when vitamin C levels are low the body slows down the burning off of fat as a safety measure.

Vitamin C is crucial for your adrenal gland function.  The more cortisol you make, the more vitamin C you use. Under stress you'll excrete more vitamin C through urine.

Vitamin C is best taken with bioflavonoids which are found in citrus fruits where they sit in the pith just under the fruit's skin.  Flavonoids are potent antioxidants and can help control inflammation."

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »

:thankyou:

GeordieGirl

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 07:19:21 AM »

GeordieGirl - was waiting for this one to be mentioned.  Probably what you don't want to hear  ::).  That was the thought in the 1970s but has been dis-countered since  ;) - DH being a research chemist has been watching this 'story' with interest.

Whilst VitC. won't do any harm as the body excretes any it doesn't use, there is no evidence that it can aid in the battle against cancer/s.  Somehwere I have a copy of the original Paper ……. somewhere in all the rubbish that I kept 'just in case'  :D

The Mayo clinic continued research which disproved this, however it was later discovered their research did not follow exactly the same protocol as Pauling's.  LP used very high doses of Vitamin C which was given intravenously - the later studies were by mouth.  Oh and by more mainstream scientists rather than a highly regarded Nobel Prize winner. As with all scientists who err away from synthetic drugs as a treatment,  Pauling suddenly went from darling to devil where Big Pharma was concerned.  But then he wasn't in danger of seeing a  multi billion pound industry dwindle. Gerson followed a similar fate.
GG x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »

Pity it wasn't followed up!  I remember the hype at the time  ::) and we, after all, 'what we eat'!

How are you 2-day?