Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: First Big C .treatment tomorrow - wish me luck!  (Read 28068 times)

Hurdity

Re: First Big C .treatment tomorrow - wish me luck!
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 08:23:59 PM »

Hope it went well for you GeordieGirl and thinking of you.

Hurdity xx

mazzy

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »

Just caught up with the Post.  Hope everything went well for you.  Sending you a :bighug:

ariadne

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »

Ive also only just read this and hope everything went well today :foryou:

Ariadne xx

purplenanny

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »

Thinking of you and hoping all is well  :hug:
PN x x

honeybun

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

I do hope GG is ok.

Honeybun
X

Judith57

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:47 PM »

Me too, hopefully she'll be along soon.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »

Recovering from the 1st session maybe. 

lindyloo

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »

Biggest hugs.to you xx

Taz2

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 08:16:44 AM »

Hope the treatment went well! Sending hugs.

Taz x  :bighug:

Limpy

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »

Hope everything is going OK.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

GeordieGirl

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »

Hi all,
Thanks for all the warm wishes  :)   I meant to post back but I've been really busy workwise, unfortunately working for myself does mean little rest, particularly as my number 2 is on holiday.  Anyway...

First treatment went well on Tuesda and I've signed away the rights to the photos - my consultant is hoping to use me as a case study. Not quite cover girl shots (they're of my insides) but as close as I'll get. And no, not Facebook material either though I have to admit I was rather impressed by  them.  :)

I've Top Dog on my case, the world's leading authority in a treatment method not currently licensed by NICE as mainstream in the UK, but despite being thought of as 'pioneering' here, has been used in France for 40 years. It's very reassuring to be in the hands of a master, even if he does come equipped with something they call the "Bum Gun" (and it's enough to make your eyes water). The consultant (Prof Sun Myint) could have retired years ago but he's actually on a mission to get this treatment accepted as a key approach for bowel cancer, it not only saves a lot of surgery and indeed cost, but has saved a lot of arses too.

A number of things have been pointed out to me that my consultant at Stockport hospital missed or misunderstood, all the more reason I'm glad I stood my ground and insisted on the referral. The next treatment is a week on Tuesday, hopefully in the interim the pesky cancer tumour cells should hopefully be shriveling up.  Top Dog did mention that they usually supplement  this with chemo radiation - a definite no-no for me. While I'll (reluctantly) agree to external radiation if needed to blast a nearby lymph node, chemo is definitely the other side of my line, I believe in building my immune system to fight this and not blast it to smithereens alongside the cancer in the hope that only the good and not the bad cells return  >:(  Instead I'm following a very 'pure' diet, cutting out toxins in food and general living.  Fortunately (off the record) Top Dog agrees with me on this, quite refreshing for a conventional medic.

All in all not a bad start and Clatterbridge is a real testament to the NHS. x

GG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

To answer the question on symptoms..... I was passing a little blood mainly after drinking alcohol. Because it's not wrapped up with the poo (sorry but you did ask!!), but separate, it was suspected to be either IBS or piles related. It still may be as it hasn't happened since I cut alcohol out. It's only been by chance that they found a polyp during a colonoscopy.  I really count myself as lucky that they've found something, if it hadn't been for the occasional drunken binge it may have lurked there for a lot longer undetected.   The tumour is stage 2 so I've an 80% chance of being cancer free for 2 years + following the current treatment, if they use external radiotherapy this will increase to 90%.  I'll be monitored closely for the next 3-5 years and if it were to come back (or not clear) there would be options of surgery.

My Meno doctor pointed out that oestrogen protects against colon cancer (I'd also read this elsewhere), I'm no using BHRT so am hoping that affords a little protection against this lump having any 'friends'  :)

Anyway, the lesson for today ladies is - if you've any blood, discomfort or reasons to think all is not well down there, get it looked at as soon as you can.

GG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »

I so wish you luck.  As a major health anxiety sufferer I am in awe of your positive mental attitude.  Even if it is just for the benefit of others it shows you are a very brave lady.

xx

Thanks Rebel. A friend said I was being amazingly positive, my response is "what's the alternative?"   I'm a huge believer in positive mental attitude and it's the only thing that's kept me sane at times. If I'm perfectly honest too I'm actually finding this whole 'journey' quite intriguing, it's given me a big insight into the NHS, I've met some lovely people and am feeling very flattered to be one of Prof Myint's (bum) cover girls  :)

I also think the timing was (if it ever can be such?) 'perfect' for me. Having spent months reading up about hormones and realising how little my GPs knew about this, this gave me the realisation that all medics aren't experts and it's ok to challenge them. IF I hadn't done so with my local consultant I'd have had a huge op and would be in a different place now.  Instead I've now got a leading consultant who I feel I can trust, and I've also worked my way through my GP's surgery to find a doctor who's happy to be challenged but will work with me rather than just prescribing boxes.

It probably sounds potty to say I think everything happens for a reason but I've a feeling this whole chapter is leading me somewhere. No, not a box 6 feet under - tut tut- but on a track that will somehow tie in with my work. Not entirely sure in what guise yet but I'm sure the eureka moment will come to me.

I do hope you can somehow manage your major anxiety, I can understand how debilitating it can be.

GG x

dazned

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »

So glad to hear you are being positive and sounds like you are in very good hands . Also its great to hear that you seem to have control over your treatment,well some imput which is being listened to. :foryou:

Jenna

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

Such a good job you did your research and I'm pleased to hear that your first treatment went well - it all sounds extremely encouraging.

Wishing you all the very best.  Jenna  xxxx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8