Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: S&D. How long until you are not contagious  (Read 4322 times)

honeybun

S&D. How long until you are not contagious
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »

Mother has had it and now sister has it. I think sis must have got it when she was cleaning up the next morning after mother was unwell despite wearing gloves.

As luck would have it I wasn't around either of them.

The GP that was called for my sister this morning suggested I still stayed away from my mother despite the fact she seems fine.
I hate sickness anyway so didn't need any persuading and I really need to be extra careful as hubby has type 1 diabetes.

So my question is when is it reasonably safe to go back to mothers.
Another question, how on earth did my sister get it when she wore gloves, could it be from scrubbing the bathroom carpet.

I feel sorry for them both but some self preservation is kicking in here.

Honeybun
X

libby1

Re: S&D. How long until you are not contagious
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »

Hi Hb

Schools say children can return 48hrs after being sick, if that helps  :)

Libby
x

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »

I'd heard the 48 hours after being sick as well.
Not sure at all, but does that also apply to diarrhoea?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »

Hospitals advise 48 hours after the last person in the Household has been ill with D&V.  It is transmitted via the air so wearing gloves doesn't help a lot.  Otherwise how would others get a 'bug'. 

Food poisoning however can have an incubation period of a few moments to a week before it presents and can go on for 2 days to 4 weeks.  A friend of mine had a salmonella from un-cooked meats and it took 4 weeks before she could take even water, she was in Hospital on a drip for 5 weeks.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »

48 hours after last episode of S or D.

Definitely stay away from both of them, especially as your hubby has diabetes. That would knock him sideways.

My son had something similar a few months back, yet his fiancé who had to clean up after him never caught it. Bug hit him so quickly, although at least it was linoleum not carpet in their case.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »

There is a waste bin on the side of all the beds in this house  ;) and we have 2 'to hand' in the camper …...

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »

I agree it's forty eight hours since the last episode of d or v.

Wearing gloves probably wouldn't have helped honeybun. The virus is contained in the actual vomit or diarrhoea  and as you scrub or clean surfaces the bacteria rise up and are ingested. If someone is sick or has diarrohea it's also advised to always put the toilet lid down before you flush as the act of flushing fills the airs with the bacteria. This can be a problem in schools etc. as there are often no toilet lids!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:17:27 PM »

Well as she had it on Monday night then I think I should be fine going tomorrow. My BIL is the next in the firing line.
I did try to explain to mother this morning I have to try and not take any unnecessary risks re hubbies diabetes. I'm afraid I just got shouted at  :-\

Mother doesn't think she passed this onto my sister but we all know that's what happened.

She has given herself a very miserable day by calling me and shouting and then hanging up.

Hubby is getting very fed up with her carry on.

Oh well, I'm really sorry for my sis. She has health issues and has to take cortisone in pill form every day. Today it was an injection from the GP as well as an anti sickness injection. Her hubby has been taught how to inject her but it's not easy for him so the doc was called.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Not nice for anyone.  Practice putting down the 'phone  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »

Has everyone improved?

Did your Mum remember that she has been ill when you visited today or is she onto the next issue?