Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Foot cramps  (Read 6599 times)

CJ-sleepless

Foot cramps
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

I'm being woken continuously during the night by cramp in my feet.  I used to get this in my teens (many years ago lol) and was given quinine tablets that worked great.  However, apparently they no longer prescribe these.  I already take magnesium.  Anyone got any other ideas?  I'm wondering if I'm overdoing the walking thing.... any excuse....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Foot cramps
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:38:07 AM »

Tonic water?

However, cramp is usually caused by lack of salt in our diet.  DH gets this in his hands when we are away, if he adds salt to meals it soon goes away.

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

Trust me I have too much salt in my diet already! Maybe that's the problem!!

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »

tonic water or bitter lemon drinks have quinine in them but you do have to drink quite a lot of it.
bananas might help?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »

How do you know you have too much salt?

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »

I was told by my GP to cut my salt intake when my blood pressure was high - its not now, so maybe I could up it again.  I bought some magnesium oil spray and put that on my feet last night before bed, and I did have the cramp less often during the night - might be a coincidence but will keep up with that for now.  It said on the bottle that if you're magnesium deficient it would sting - but it didn't, so I'm thinking I'm not deficient.  In the scheme of things cramp is just a nuisance, but when its disturbing your sleep that that extent its nuts - my fitbit says I woke 29 times the other night - no wonder I'm tired!  Between that and my ongoing coccyx issues (the procedure I had doesn't seem to have worked), I think I might as well just not bother going to bed that's how I feel.  I'm exhausted.  I feel like I'm a moaner at the moment, and that's not like me - my poor hubby must be fed up, although he's very supportive.  I know there are worse things, and this is probably just a bad patch, but today I'm downright miserable  :'(  Sorry to complain, I know everyone here has issues too - sometimes just need to let it out

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »

Thanks Sparkle - to be honest I just don't know.  I've been trying to do more walking as the surgeon suggested it might help with circulation in the damaged area - whether the increased activity is causing the cramp I couldn't say - I'm not running or anything - just walking at a reasonable pace - between 4 and 5 miles a day if I can fit it in.  I'm seeing my physiotherapist today so will raise the issue and see what she thinks

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »

Let us know what she thinks.  I was thinking too late last night: my late M in L was told she had high blood pressure but it was White Coat Syndrome.  Her GP told her to keep cutting down her salt intake and it almost killed her.  My Victorian Grandma always told us kids that if we had cramp it was due to lack of salt.

The body requires salt! we don't eat processed foods which is often where hidden salts/sugars are, DH seasons as he cooks.  When we eat out we always have to ask for the cruet  ::)

So if you walk more you will sweat more = salt depletion!

Also, I remember when diving into cold water my feet would have cramp, I would swim to the other side of the pool, haul out, dive in again and no problem  ::)

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »

Saw the physio - she did some manipulating etc, and seems my sacrum was "wonky" (no doubt a technical term) - probably from sitting side saddle so much with my dodgy coccyx - she did some manipulation, ultrasound and acupuncture - and it was "warm" when I left - and slept a bit better afterward - so all hope is not lost.  Got some exercises to try make sure I don't revert back to wonky lol

I asked about the cramp in my toes.  Discussed the salt, magnesium etc etc.  She told me to buy some simple soap and put it in my bed at the foot end.  I thought she was joking - but having googled it seems there is something in it.  Anyway, I bought the soap (I'm open minded) put it in the bed - and blow me only woke once during the night with cramp.  Witchcraft.  She has no idea how or why it works, but it just does for some people!  How weird is that!  Maybe its a placebo effect or something - but either way I'm grateful for anything - anyone else suffering with cramp give it a go - I'd be interested to know if it helps anyone else!

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »

Lol yes unwrap it - I put it between the mattress and the undersheet, as otherwise I imagine you'd just kick it out of bed overnight lol.  My husband found the whole thing hilarious.  The supermarket only had a 2 pack when I bought it - hubby suggested I shove the 2nd bar down my undies to see if it helps the coccyx - something tells me he's not taking this seriously  ;D

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »

Just to update - still pain from rear, but no cramp since soap went in the bed!  I don't even believe it myself!  Hubby says I'm gullible....

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »

:rofl:  nowt wrong with the placebo effect! 

If you sent an e-mail to Ben Goldacre he might well tell you yah or nay as to why/not Simple soap works.  At least you can use it in the bath if it doesn't  ;)

ariadne

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »

Great that the soap worked. I often get cramp in my feet if I stretch them out in bed.

This tip reminds me of the one where you smother your feet in Vicks vapour rub and put socks on before going to bed to stop a cough. I tried it and it worked!

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »

There is logic in the Vic rub and socks, the warmth of the socks allows the fumes to rise and give relief  ;)

The soap though  :-\  ::)

ariadne

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »

But one is lying down so rising would be up to bedcovers?? Would make more sense to rub on chest like me old mum used to do😀

Ariadne xx
Pages: [1] 2