Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Leg twitching  (Read 4301 times)

Ju Ju

Leg twitching
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:05:58 AM »

Does anybody know anything about leg twitching while asleep? My DH is not conscious of the problem, other than my complaints, and appears to be unaffected by it. He is a caring considerate man and is concerned about the quality of my sleep. At home he migrates to the spare room during the night as my sleep has deteriorated since menopause, though helped by HRT. We are staying in a hotel and the quality of the mattress is questionable and magnifies any movement. DH's legs/body twitch every few seconds/minutes, which along with trips to the loo ( checked out for prostrate problems) and occasional snoring does not make him a good sleep companion for a menopausal woman! There's no escape tonight! He's an active, healthy, slim, non smoking and does not drink achohol too excess.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Leg twitching
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »

Morning!

Get him onto bananas - 2/3 daily!  If this is a form of restless legs it will ease sympotms.

However, I have always moved my feet when in bed.  Apparenlty in my sleep  ::) - DH asked me when we were in the camper 'do you always wriggle your feet' - how long have we been married  ;D  :D - it's when I was a child and my feet were cold I found movement warmed them a little.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »

My hubby does this too but his hands also twitch. Not got a clue what causes it and he does eat a lot of bananas.

It started a few years ago and he is totally unaware that he does it.

Honeyb
x

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »

You could be describing my OH, how his whole body can jump regularly and he not wake up is beyond me. When I nudge him to wake him and break the cycle of snoring,jumping twitching that is driving me nuts he says- 'what was I doing'!!. I haven't any answers I'm afraid apart from the obvious- separate beds -which neither of us wants, perhaps it's yet another 'man' thing. When he does sleep quietly I must confess I do check to see he's still breathing so he can't win 😀

Thorntrees

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »

Mine had sleep apnoea for a while, when he stopped breathing I would wake, wait and then nudge .........  ::) we do have a Very Large Bed though.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

thorntrees, next time we stay in a hotel, it will be separate beds! At home, we start the night together, then he migrates to the spare room when he gets up for the loo. If he returns back to our bed, he wakes me up and keeps me awake with his restlessness and snoring. Such is life...gets in the way of romance, but we make up for it in the daytime!

My son has had sleep apnoea since his teens. He was always so tired, yet there was no obvious reason until he slept in the same room as a friend. He got no help other than diagnosis over here, though he didn't persist, but has said he will pursue now he lives in the USA. He's slim, fit and doesn't drink or smoke, so not the usual profile for such a problem.

DH eats loads of bananas, but apparently his chiropractor advised him to take magnesium tablets, which were too big to swallow!  :o I've been reading in the dark hours of the night that soda water could help. Not sure he would drink the required amount. Anyway he's agreed to mention the problem to his GP in his next appointment.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:40:34 AM »

Quinine? therefore tonic water?

Sleep aponea can be dangerous.  Maybe a sleep clinic for your son? 

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »

My OH twitches his legs quite powerfully, which makes me jump !

He can't have bananas, I'm allergic to them !

Annie xx

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »

Hubby used to do the sleep apnoea thing years ago. That's not an issue anymore fortunately.
What he has now is sleep hypos....horrible and worrying. I'm making him test before bed.
Fortunately one of us wakens up as he gets very hot and restless.

I think I would rather have the twitchy legs to be honest.

Hey ho, just got to get on with it I guess.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 10:51:31 PM »

What's in bananas that causes an allergy?  Look at other foods with potassium in, being low is usually what causes RLS!

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:33:51 AM »

What's in bananas that causes an allergy?  Look at other foods with potassium in, being low is usually what causes RLS!

I'm severely latex allergic, bananas and other exotic fruits have latex in the tree/stem and are cross allergens, I went to A&E after each episode and my GP (my lovely GP from years ago) researched it and found the cause

Annie xx

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »

It seems to be linked with RLS but not always. Most people with RLS have what's called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder but people with the movement disorder don't necessarily have RLS. Details here https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain-spinal-cord-and-nerve-disorders/sleep-disorders/periodic-limb-movement-disorder-and-restless-legs-syndrome

My dad had both and it seriously disrupted my mum's sleep for decades. His doc wasn't interested in finding the cause though and, being a bloke, he didn't push for it!

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »

Learn something every day  ;D - wish I were 30 years younger and could do more research ……..