Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Fluoride  (Read 2014 times)

Cassie

Fluoride
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:09:40 AM »

Good morning, what are you lovely ladies views on fluoride treatments @ the hygienist. Once a yr he paints on a gel on my teeth, after cleaning them, which helps tremendously for sensitivity etc, my children have been having this treatment for many yrs and have wonderfully strong teeth. My hubby nearly had a fit and insists that it is toxic, which of course it is, but the hygienist insists that it is safe.....do I stop rather?

Joyce

Re: Fluoride
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:51:52 AM »

My eldest GD gets it painted on also. When my two were little we were advised to give them fluoride drops which we did faithfully every night. They both have very strong teeth but ended up with fluorosis, which causes their teeth to be mottled. In those days dentists didn't realise the amount of fluoride they were also getting from the toothpaste. We wanted them to have better teeth than us, which they do, but at a price.

GeordieGirl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »

I'm with your hubby on this one I'm afraid. Fluoride is a toxin and the USA have just revised their recommended safety levels on this (reducing them drastically).  We're lucky in the UK that a lot of our water supply doesn't have added fluoride as that's where it's easy to digest very high levels.
I'm also vehemently against mercury amalgam, I've a few left over from bad 1970s dentistry when dentists were paid on how many they doled out but will look at white fillings when they're ready for replacement. 

The Mercola.com website is a great resource for anyone sharing your hubby's views.

GG x

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:59:11 AM »

Thankyou for the link GG will take a look....I do hear you, but surely a once a yr small amount painted onto the teeth will not do too much harm...wish there was something else that worked just as well, sigh...

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »

I think it depends on whether you are living in an area where the water is artificially flourided (is that a word??) as to how much you already have in your system. Dentists are always aware of the local water policy.  http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Fluoride/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »

One would have to drink a lot of tap water ……. and swallow a lot of toothpaste  ::)
I HATE toothpaste and  :o : the thought of a child eating it :sick02: ……..

Eating less sugary food stuffs is the way to go, during and after the War when sugar was rationed as the best time in recent History for health and tooth conditions.

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 04:10:18 PM »

I haven't needed any dental treatment for some years since reducing my sugar intake considerably. Sadly, a lot of damage was done over the years before, with the loss of some teeth. My dentist tells me to carry on with whatever I'm doing. I always come out feeling like a good little girl despite the fact he's half my age! We have fluoride in the water and I use a fluoride toothpaste. I think electric tooth brushes have made it much easier to clean teeth efficiently and more gently.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »

Electric toothbrushes don't work for my very wonky teeth, if they hit a tooth they fly out my hand and across the bathroom, also if the brush touches my gums it tickles  :-X