Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lansoprazole  (Read 26893 times)

honeybun

Lansoprazole
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »

Just been given these to try. I was on Omeprazole but it wasn't working well.

Any thoughts ladies on how successful they are.

I did have an interesting conversation with my GP regarding an endoscope. She says that they rarely referr people for this anymore as all they can be prescribed are PPIs.

She prodded around my tummy and everything felt fine. She also told me to take Gaviscon at night if I needed to. I'm sure she said Gaviscon Advance but I couldn't find one called that. I got the pink double action one. Hope it's the right one.

Honeybun
X

honeybun

Re: Lansoprazole
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »

Thanks Sparkle.

I took a Zantac this morning. Should I wait until tomorrow before I start the new pills or would I be ok taking one at dinner.

What time of day do you take yours?. I remember being told years ago about the stomach producing more acid at night so take your meds before bed. But if I'm on just one pill a day it would make more sense to take in the morning.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »

Gaviscon Advance works but it is like swallowing a goldfish and made me gag it tasted so nasty.

Good luck Honeybun x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:21:42 PM »

Yes Omeprazole made me bloat and very windy at times. It also made me feel a bit dizzy initially but that sort of passed.

Thanks for the advice on when to take in the morning. I usually go back to bed with a cuppa for a wee while before I have breakfast. I'm also going to start having a bowl of porridge again. It really seems to help. It's said it puts a lining on your tummy. I'm also off to buy some natural yogurt tomorrow too.

I'm going to beat this b***y thing. I have before and I will again. I'm in holiday at the end of June and it's our first family holiday for years and I'm so looking forward to spending the week with my grown up kids.....I'm amazed they wanted to come. This has to be under control by then.....fingers crossed anyway.

I've never swallowed a goldfish BJ but I will give it a go  ;D

Honeybun
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »

honeybun - do look at my thread titled 'Endoscopy'. It's obviously quite comment to get these digestive problems at our age. I started having horrid burning across my diaphragm back in February that woke me every morning at around 3-4am and then started to continue all day.  My GP prescribed Lansoprazole which didn't seem to work to start with so my brother-in-law (who is a gastroenterologist) suggested I double the dose (so twice a day) and after a week or so it did start to improve. I stopped taking them after 4 weeks when I thought everything was better and a couple of weeks later the pain started again, so my GP referred me for an endoscopy.  I had this endoscopy yesterday and everything was clear and was told I may need to take Lansoprazole for the long term as I was clearly producing too much acid!!! It does seem to calm things down but I am trying to do without it at the moment - just using some Gaviscon and eating bananas between meals.
BTW you are meant to take Lansoprazole on an empty stomach between 30-60 mins before you eat - so I take it when I first wake up with a little water and have my cup of tea and toast about 30 mins later.  Porridge is a good idea - semi skimmed milk neutralisers the acid.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »

It's so confusing when we get different advice from GP's. I was referred for endoscopy, as have been quite a few of my friends, to rule out any cancers but also to check for Barrett's Oesophagus which can lead to cancer if not treated. It's standard practice at our local surgery. A friend, in Wales, was not referred for heartburn and reflux and developed really unpleasant symptoms when a web grew across the top of her oesophagus. She had symptoms of it being increasingly difficult to swallow but just upped her indigestion and PPI stuff and then, when at a friend's for the weekend, the web (which she knew nothing about) stretched right across and she began to throw back everything she ate - not being sick just the food filling up as far as it could go and then regurgitating. She was referred for emergency endoscopy and the web was dislodged and her scarred oesophagus widened. She has to take medication for life. I'd never heard of it before. Very scary although, being much calmer than me, she took it all in her stride!! http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/what-is-barretts-oesophagus

Taz x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »

I have a hiatus hernia as well since I was pregnant 34 years ago!  I have taken the old style anti ulcer tablets for over 20 years. I have tried the ppi's but I get severe side effect and cannot take them. 
I also have found that for 3-4 days every month I get terrible heartburn that does not make any sense in that I haven't eaten anything I know causes it and I have to take alot of antacids then it suddenly goes away and realised when I still had periods that it was most likely hormonal so nice to know I as not alone. Since becoming post meno I now get this bad patch about 3-4 days every 6 weeks.
If you have had long standing heartburn then you should have a camera down to check for barratts oesphagus, my friend has this very badly and had to have camera every 3 months and biopsies and this is due to 20 years of untreated heartburn.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 06:50:31 PM »

I don't generally have heartburn, nothing coming up into the gullet. Just an uncomfortable stomach, occasional indigestion and at the moment the lump in the throat feeling. The GP knows I am very anxious about going into hospital for any kind of procedure. She did say that now they can prescribe PPIs, that settles most people's problems therefore hospital tests are becoming less necessary. We have a deal though. If it does not settle within a couple of months then she will book me in for an endoscopy and I will go....which I will.

The trouble is I have had all these tests before and nothing was ever found. I had the breath test a few months ago for the bug thingy ....can't remember it's name H....something or another and that was clear.
This is nothing new for me, it's been going on for years and years. I go through a bad period for a few months and then I get it under control and it can go for a year or more.

I will try the new pills and see how it goes. I may well have to have the tests, but at the moment I'm resisting. I may regret it in the future but I'm on the same pills as everyone else that have had the tests and that's the treatement anyway......so  :-\

Honeybun
X

mazzy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »

I have been on Lansprazole for a long time Honeybun, after being found to have H.Pylori.  Initially I was given a strong course of Antibiotics and then placed on Lansprazole 15mg as I was still getting a lot of Heartburn.  It has worked fine for me but when I mentioned to my GP that I was still getting Heartburn occasionally he advised me to increase my dose and take another Lansprazole tablet when I needed to.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »

DH took it without problems.

We gave the dog Buscopan  ;)

Mazzy  -  if it was H/Pylori the ABs should have cleared it!  However, stress can cause gut problems …..

What's wrong with good old Milk of Magnesia?

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »

Milk of Magnesia neutralises stomach acid but doesn't prevent it from being formed. Can't stomach(!) it myself - really upsets my bowel!!

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »

OH has taken it, didn't get on well with it.

It seems he's allergic to it, caused very sore mouth and dry itchy patches on skin.
His GP who had originally said, "oh these don't cause problems", said yesterday, that another patient gets very agitated when taking it. Suggested that OH keep well away from it and not to try another PPI to give the damage chance to heal.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 11:33:44 AM »

Sitting up properly, eating at the table, sleeping upright can all ease symptoms.  As can drinking milk  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »

Milk is no longer recommended for heartburn

Drinking milk
Drinking a glass of milk was thought to ease the discomfort of heartburn, but recent research in the U.S. suggests it can worsen the problem by causing the stomach to produce more acid.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »

Is that full fat milk though?  All this reduced cream 'stuff' isn't allowed in our household, it's all or nothing and I don't even like milk  ::) …….. how about goat milk, good for allergies in general.  I don't see how milk would create more acid  :-\ ….. any more than any other food product might.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5