Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has anyone managed to get rid of hot flushes without HRT?  (Read 14794 times)

choc57

Re: Has anyone managed to get rid of hot flushes without HRT?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »

Has it helped with hot flushes Dazned?

dazned

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »

I have not suffered with those sorry can't help. As I said apparently citlopram is the ad for that.

choc57

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »

Right well it was citalopram I went on before when I didn't need it as it was too early in the grief process. As I said it did help but I felt in a fog. At the time I thought that if I needed it in the future then I knew it would work. I think it took about 4 weeks to kick in though.
 Most days I manage to be positive but today I've felt unable to cope. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I suppose if I can take a low dose AD which will make me feel a bit better and control the sweats and therefore help me sleep then that's what I need. I'll discuss this with my GP just got to get through the next 4 weeks until my appointment.
Thanks x

dazned

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »

Keep posting we will help you through.x

choc57

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »

Thank you xx

Winterose

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »

Why not have a phone chat with Dr Currie ? She might give you some info to take to your doctor.  Am sure stress makes sweats worse, so sorry about your husband,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »

Also - you may find that contacting CRUSE will help with the grieving. You really are in the early stages and with meno symptoms as well …...

What dose of Citalopram were you on?  Initially ADs make me woozy and even now some mornings I feel hung over  ::).  But if they help with the flushes give them another 'go'?

That GP sounds about as useful as a chocolate fire guard  ::) -  I wonder if they are afraid of menopausal women?

choc57

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »

Thanks for your advice. Yes I do feel stress makes the sweats worse. Today I feel ok. Yesterday I was having a meltdown and not able to see a future for myself so when I rang to try to get an appointment and there wasn't one I got upset on the phone and that's why the male doctor rang me back. He hadn't looked at my notes first and didn't know what I'd gone through. 'You've had a bereavement' he said 'who was it?'....I was shocked that it wasn't down that it was my husband. When I told him he said 'But it's been almost 12 months'....it's actually been just over 10 months.
When you lose the love of your life after being together for 35 years it's not something you 'get over' in a hurry. It's not as if I've been pestering my GP either. I was last there in December and that was only because my cholesterol is up and I needed another blood test. He was quite impatient with me on the phone and told me I would have to go in to see him and he made me an appointment for the afternoon. When I arrived he asked what I wanted from them. I explained that I'd come off hrt and couldn't sleep because of the sweats and my anxiety and he told me I'd have to wait the 4 weeks and see my usual GP. He then proceeded to offer me ADs, beta blockers or counselling (of which there isn't any around here as my usual GP told me.) I'd had some earlier through a local cancer charity as I lost my dad a few months before my husband. I went for the counselling option but in fact all he gave me was the phone number of the psychological assessment team which I don't think I need. I'm grieving and that's a natural process I have to get through. He was very offhand and rushed me to make a decision. I don't know much about beta blockers but I wouldn't think they're something to be dealt out in such a hurry. It seemed he just wanted to get rid of me.
I was on 20mg Citalopram. I think at the time I needed to be able to think clearly to get through my grief. I was in a daze anyway but just felt more fuzzy.

Greenfields

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »

Oh that's not a good experience - I am so sorry the GP responded that way - that's horrible.  :(

I wonder whether there is anything you can explore between now and June which would help self soothe your nervous system?  I'm thinking of things like massage, exercise, a yoga class, aquafit, joining a walking group ... just something that makes your body feel a bit physically better and also where you might be able to connect with some kind people which might help take the edge off things?

Sending hugs xx

dazned

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »

Beta blocker do help with anxiety and someone I know swears they sort her hot flushes out, although how I dont know,but she says they work for her.
Pages: 1 [2]