Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin D Worry Again  (Read 5263 times)

toffeecushion

Vitamin D Worry Again
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:10:15 AM »

I'm sorry to go on about this - maybe I should post on an anxiety website, but after taking 1600 units (2 tablets) of vitamin D for about 5 days now I am either starting to feel some side effects or my anxiety about medication is kicking in.

It started with an upset stomach and then not sleeping too well.  Last night I hardly slept at all and this morning feel shaky, sweaty, my mouth is dry and I am so tired.  I am fully aware that all these symptoms could just be anxiety but they could also be due to the vitamin D.  I don't know whether to cut down to 1 tablet a day (1 is better than none) or persevere.  To anyone else this may seem so trivial, after all it is only a vitamin tablet, but I am finding it hard to decide what to do.

Dancinggirl

Re: Vitamin D Worry Again
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »

If you are worried then reduce your dosage a bit but it is a safe vitamin. It does sound as though your anxiety is taking hold. I wouldn't personally take such a high dose unless I was prescribed this by my doctor - I take no more that 400 - 600 units per day.  DG x

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but for the first time in ages one of my ankles has stopped hurting :)  Is it too soon?

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »

Yes feeling a little less anxious and having no pain in one of my ankles feels wonderful, didn't realise how much they hurt until it stopped.  I am hoping that the vitamin D is starting to take effect and will definitely take 2 again tomorrow unless I don't sleep again tonight.

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »

everyone's different of course Toffeecushion but I was prescribed 2000iu of vit D a day for pain and autonomic nervous symptoms by a neurologist.
It's not upset my tum.
Anxiety certainly does make my tum upset and cause all manner of problems.
Glad your ankle feels better.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.

I have been taking large doses of fish oil for five years to treat an inflammatory condition so I assume my vitamin D level must be pretty high although I've never had it tested. During this time I have not noticed any stomach problems but meno anxiety certainly makes me feel the way you have described. 

I sympathise with you though, whenever I feel better or worse I always look at the last thing I was doing or taking and wonder if that has caused a new reaction. I think at this stage in our lives Mother Nature just loves to keep us guessing!

Wishing you well.

K.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »

My vitamin D level was 42 recently and my GP advised that it would be better to be 50 or over so borderline really.  He gave me some 800 iu tablets but they caused me side effects similar to when I took calcium and vit D and ended up in hospital with hypercalcaemia so I stopped them.

I take a multivitamin which has 200iu of vitamin D in and I have found some children's chewable Vit D3 tablets that are 280iu so, along with the multi vit I will be getting a dose of 460iu.  My GP is happy for me to do this and I will see how I go as he said I don't really need to raise my level much but he would be happier if it went up a bit. My levels will be tested again in 6 months before the winter months.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:52:25 AM »

Yes it was Sparkle.  I have returned them to the chemist.

My dear late mother in law could not tolerate any medication with colours and/or E numbers in.  It was very difficult to medicate her as she had multiple problems.

I have often wondered why some medication needs to be so strongly coloured  :-\

toffeecushion

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »

Mine are little white ones :)

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

white sounds good  :)

Sarai

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »

The ones I had were not coloured as such, just pale yellow, they caused me serious side effects. But after complaining to the drug company I have found out they have an E number in them though it does not say on the packet.

toffeecushion

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »

The ones I had were not coloured as such, just pale yellow, they caused me serious side effects. But after complaining to the drug company I have found out they have an E number in them though it does not say on the packet.

Are you feeling back to normal now?

MrsMopp

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »

My GP prescribed me Fultium.  It hadn't occurred to me that they would cause side effects, being a vitamin. 

I have tummy probs too but I've had them for years.  I get very bloated and have to avoid wheat.

toffeecushion

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 06:46:34 AM »

For the past couple of weeks I have been taking 2 of the prescribed 5 vitamin D tablets a day.  When I first started taking them I had an upset stomach and would sweat after taking them, but I carried on taking them and the 'side effects' stopped. This morning I decided to try taking 3 and have already started sweating with 10 minutes of taking it.  Anxiety can effect us in different ways, and at the moment mine seems to be mimicking vitamin D side effects.  Now I have to be brave and keep taking them despite my anxiety telling me not to.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »

What are the side effects from vitamin D supplement toffeecushion? You are probably feeling anxious about taking it. Have you tried the spray - I use that although I'm not sure whether it would be a high enough dose for you. Try to concentrate on how many more side effects you may eventually suffer due to vitamin D deficiency illnesses if you don't up your level now. You know that you do need to get your levels up. Once they are up you can manage on a smaller dose.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2