Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: sudden itchy sole of foot, then replaced by pain?!  (Read 19753 times)

oldsheep

sudden itchy sole of foot, then replaced by pain?!
« on: April 27, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »

I was in the pool this morning just starting my swim. Everything was fine until I started swimming. First 2 lengths, the sole of my foot was incredibly itchy. Then it turned into pain. I couldn't touch the area without flinching.
I finished my swim (puffing today), then walking to the change cubicle was very painful.
The big vein under the ball of my foot seems a bit darker than normal but otherwise can't see anything.
It wasn't a trauma, as I wear slip slops to the poolside and didn't stand on anything. I cycled home (10 mins) and even pressing the foot down on the pedal hurt.
Is it a burst blood vessel do you think? Anything to worry about or will it just go away? I'm going to put arnica on it. Not sure if taking aspirin would help or hinder? Think may put my feet up and and read my book this afternoon and housework can wait!

thanks for any ideas!

Joyce

Re: sudden itchy sole of foot, then replaced by pain?!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »

Sounds really painful. Could it have been some form of cramp? My foot sometimes becomes very painful for no apparent reason. I can be walking along fine, next minute I'm in pain. I hurple along for a while & then it goes as quickly as it came.  I rarely wear anything higher than a kitten heel, so it's not that which causes mine. Weird.

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »

Hi, CG. No, not cramp. I think it must be a burst blood vessel. It's sore to walk. Really weird as you say.

There's a big bruise this morning all along the main vein in the ball of the foot. No GPs appointments until 12 May, only emergencies if you show up at 8am.
Just put on arnica and trying not to walk where possible.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:03:53 AM by oldsheep »

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

Could be plantar fasciitis - my husband has it - if you google it you will find info.  Might be worth getting it checked if it doesn't settle in case its some kind of clot (not wanting to alarm you) - better to be safe

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »

hi CJ, it's the ball of the foot area. Can you get plantar fasciitis there too (I was thinking just your heel?).
I'm not sure if I can take aspirin or not.
I usually take aspirin for fibro pain. Don't get on too well with ibuprofen.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »

I have itchy insteps when in the bath but not pain.

Plantar fasciatisis is under the heel, there is a spur which when walked upon can be very very painful on pressure.

Take the Aspirin?

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »

I think you're right, its usually the heel.  The only other thing I can think of is gout!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »

In the base of the foot? at the root of the joint maybe ……. not something fortunately I have suffered with.

How is it now?

Saffy

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

I hope you don't mind but I have come out of 'Lurk Mode' to offer a possible answer  :). Could it be Achenbach syndrome? It usually occurs in the hands (mostly at the base of fingers) predominently in women. I have had several occurences characterised by sudden intense itching followed by sharp pain at the base of my middle finger and then swelling of the vein. Immediate application of ice helps but it always seems to result in an ugly bruise for a few days. Out of the blue I had one on the sole of my foot too which felt like I had stood on a sharp stone.

I did a lot of Googling and discovered that it is supposedly rare but there are thousands of people out there reporting similar symptoms online so I think it is just underreported TBH. I have never been checked out at the doctors but it has been suggested that it may indicate clotting issues. However most of the discussions I've seen are from perfectly healthy people who have no underlying problems at all.

Hope this helps.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »

:thankyou:

:welcomemm:

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »

I hope you don't mind but I have come out of 'Lurk Mode' to offer a possible answer  :). Could it be Achenbach syndrome? It usually occurs in the hands (mostly at the base of fingers) predominently in women. I have had several occurences characterised by sudden intense itching followed by sharp pain at the base of my middle finger and then swelling of the vein. Immediate application of ice helps but it always seems to result in an ugly bruise for a few days. Out of the blue I had one on the sole of my foot too which felt like I had stood on a sharp stone.

I did a lot of Googling and discovered that it is supposedly rare but there are thousands of people out there reporting similar symptoms online so I think it is just underreported TBH. I have never been checked out at the doctors but it has been suggested that it may indicate clotting issues. However most of the discussions I've seen are from perfectly healthy people who have no underlying problems at all.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Saffy! That sounds like what happened. I'm going out tonight right the other side of London (concert) and will have to walk on the foot and stand on public transport- hopefully not too sore. Have rested today as don't feel great. The possible clotting issue (I'm on hrt) concerns me but I'm obviously hoping it's just a one off. Might take 300mg aspirin. 
How long should it take to wear off? Do you think I can swim tomorrow?
Did you just rest or carry on as normal?
Thanks  X.
Welcome here and thanks for posting x

Saffy

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 07:02:23 PM »

Thanks for the welcomes  :). I've been lurking a long time but not suffering much (yet...) so just soaking up info  :o.

Oldsheep, after the initial icing I just carry on as normal, it's just a bruise really. In the fingers the pain goes pretty quickly after the first few hours but with my foot I think I hobbled around the house for a couple of days and then wore only comfy, squishy soled shoes for the rest of the week with very little walking. I do have 'princess and the pea' feet 'though   ;D.  I'm sure swimming will be fine.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »

If there is no break in the skin, then swim.  Is there a physio/trainer/gym in the building, where you could ask advice?

oldsheep

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 11:03:30 PM »

as I can't see the GP, I've got a physio appointment on thursday and I'll ask her to see what she thinks. I have muscle pains all over my leg but think that's from favouring the leg.
Anything vascular does make me nervous though, being on HRT.
This is when I wish I had one of the rare London great GPs.
thanks x

oldsheep

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »

starting to be a hypochondriac I think.  I went for a swim. My calf is so tight and sore and I feel about 100. The foot is just bruised now. I got cramp after just 16 lengths of taking it easy, in that leg. I then got cramp in the other leg! Finished the length by just using my arms.
I've had a burny tingling in the toes too. I'm starting to worry as the GP is hopeless (the one on duty until tuesday diagnosed a friend's little girl with a slight fever as having "scarlet fever" recently). My usual GP is only there from tuesday I think.

Took 2 aspirin and am resting. It doesn't hurt when I rest. My calf is not swollen or red but really sore, including to touch. The physio worked on it yesterday for 20 mins and said the inside calf muscle is locked down tight.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5