Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Depression and the Immune System - Radio 4  (Read 3544 times)

Taz2

Depression and the Immune System - Radio 4
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »

Hi ladies - you might have heard on the news today about the possible link between an over-active immune system and depression. There is a programme on Radio 4 at nine tonight about this http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pj2pw

Looks promising and any new research/treatments just has to be a good thing in trying to help everyone battling with this condition.

Taz x

Taz2

Re: Depression and the Immune System - Radio 4
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »

It's great that these new findings are being investigated. The link between the gut and the brain is fascinating too.

Taz x

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »

They say 80% of infection / disease starts on the gut.

Look up SIBO. 😊

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »

It's great that these new findings are being investigated. The link between the gut and the brain is fascinating too.

Taz x

I find it all fascinating too.  I am currently reading a book by A.Vogel, he was well ahead of his time and has some very interesting theories.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »

My anxiety always starts in the gut.  Depression never does. 

Anxiety hits my gut followed by weak thighs, weak calves and then my head saying 'hope this isn't going to get worse and take over'  :-\.

Depression B4 ADs meant that I had to leap out of bed then I sat; for hours; staring at 4 walls.   :sigh: [see my thread on depression]. When really ill I couldn't move, in case moving or eating made me feel worse.  Then anxiety butted in ………

Being unable to function allows the immune system to go on strike = more tendency to catch which ever bug is doing the rounds.  I couldn't eat, leave the house, go walking …….. thought I would never step outside the front door again  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »

I think this is to do with the fact that we know our gut is our "second brain" and controls many things. If the immune system is overactive it changes the flora in the gut I believe. I've not listened to the programme yet but it is covered in the Gut book which some of us have bought. Fascinating. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3107269/Always-stressed-STOMACH-blame-Nutritionist-reveals-gut-second-brain-looking-change-life.html

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 05:23:59 PM »

The gut is the weak part for many people  :-\ ……. exam anxiety, driving test anxiety, moving house, getting wed ….. bugga  :-[